PDA

View Full Version : Welcome private teachers of Sept 2009

Bels
22-08-2009, 18:04
Welcome private teachers of Sept 2009

A new school year and it's time to start earning again. As we know EFL teachers come and go here in Russia, and even last years directory may be well out of date. So perhaps it's time to start a new directory to see who is here now and available to teach privately and directly to the students.

So who is still here, and who are the new ones for this year? Perhaps you could introduce yourselves on this thread collectively together, and perhaps our friends the administrators might allow a new directory for September 2009.
I will start with myself.I have been teaching privately in the Western region for more than five years now, and continue to teach a lot of children, as that's what the high demand is in my area. And besides I enjoy teaching children and seeing them progress and communicate in English, especially from beginner level. I am married to a Russian woman and have two children aged 3 and 12. Both I am proud to say are bi-lingual Russian and English.

Looking forward to your introductions.

MOSCOW OBLAST: WESTERN REGION
BELS:
Nationality: British
Language: Teach English as a foreign or second language.
Area: Western region, 25 km from metro station Molodezhnaya, along the Rublevo-Uspenskoe Shosse. Gorki 10
Groups: Groups up to nine in the clubhouse, Gorki 10
One to one: available if you reside close to Gorki 10 area only. Children only.
Levels: All levels, but popular levels for time being from Beginner to Upper Intermediate.
Age groups: Children, teenagers and some adults in the evenings and weekends.

Will
25-08-2009, 17:38
Will

Nationality British
English Language
centre of the city: based at Novokuznetskaya.
Primarily adult professionals, or the kids of the rich, bless em.

I've been here 13 years now, and have taught most of what is teachable, exams, business stuff, ESP, Lit and so on. For the last few years I've tended to work with journalists, PR people and Marketing folk, if you move into one area your referrals tend to be in that same field, and I enjoy those areas.
Recently teaching has been morphing into a weird hybrid between standard teaching and skype based copy editing: lots of professionals essentially want someone on tap who can check that urgent report or translate a text quickly and accurately into effective English, so my rates are often a mix of an hourly rate and whatever we feel the week's emails skypes and SMS connections are worth.
Ermmm...that's about it.

Bels
25-08-2009, 17:46
Nice amusing post. So we now have two teachers available for the new September 2009 directory. You cover the whole of Moscow and I'll cover just the Western region oblast area.

Will

Nationality British
English Language
centre of the city: based at Novokuznetskaya.
Primarily adult professionals, or the kids of the rich, bless em.

I've been here 13 years now, and have taught most of what is teachable, exams, business stuff, ESP, Lit and so on. For the last few years I've tended to work with journalists, PR people and Marketing folk, if you move into one area your referrals tend to be in that same field, and I enjoy those areas.
Recently teaching has been morphing into a weird hybrid between standard teaching and skype based copy editing: lots of professionals essentially want someone on tap who can check that urgent report or translate a text quickly and accurately into effective English, so my rates are often a mix of an hourly rate and whatever we feel the week's emails skypes and SMS connections are worth.
Ermmm...that's about it.

toughnut
31-08-2009, 01:37
Well, I'm a British EFL teacher living in the south/south-west. I've been teaching here happily for ages, have a work permit and pay loads in tax now. But to teach privately - legally, I mean - I suppose I need to have permanent residency and be a private entrepreneur. Is that the only way?

Bels
31-08-2009, 19:56
It hasn,t stopped most teachers doing it. If you are already employed teaching with a work permit, you will probably need the extra income.

dontcallme
01-09-2009, 11:29
I have been teaching English in Moscow for a year now and just about to start my 2nd year when I return to Mosocw on 6th September. Before this I taught briefly in Indonesia and privately in England for 2 years.

Nationality: British/English
Area: Belorusskaya, will teach in other locations near to the centre.
Groups: if you have a couple of friends that want to learn together then that's fine.
Levels: I teach business and general English for pre-intermediate to advanced.
Age groups: Adults
Rates: PM me. I charge less for midweek daytime lessons though.

Minaeva
22-09-2009, 11:49
I am a native speaking russian tutor providing private russian lessons for foreigners since 2006. People from different countries are among my students. I have been teaching spain, koreen, malay, chinese, german students for the last three years.

Nationality: Russian
Language: Russian as a foreign or second language.
Area: any locations not far from the centre.
Groups: I think that learning language in a group with a good teacher can be more useful than private lessons
Levels: elementary, intermediate, advanced, business
Age groups: children, adults

Bluebird
27-09-2009, 15:28
Nationality: British
Experience: the teaching TEFL for the past 17 years to children, teenagers and adults

I'm a British citizen, born in London and have spent most of my life (apart from being in Moscow for the last 15 years or so) in the wonderful county of Kent. I am currently living in the Metro Tulskaya area.

I have the TEFL diploma certificate, which I gained from the University of Kent at Canterbury, Christ Church College, as well as the CELTA. I am also fluent in Russian.

I have worked with many of the top companies key personnel: as well as teaching experience and giving talks at some state institutions. I have been successful in assisting many of my students pass their Cambridge exams including IELTS and the American TOEFL tests.

My teaching experience, with my corporate clients, ranges from aspects of legal English, English for Special Purposes, giving effective presentations, cross-cultural issues, negotiation skills, and how to write effective and business-like e-mails and letters.

I have also assisted doing in the English language pages of several websites - doing translation work on them, from Russian into English, and have also taken part in business meetings as an interpreter.

More recently, I have also been working with the children of some of the elite families here.

I am willing to travel...Distance no problem.

Grumpygummy
28-09-2009, 01:18
Nationality: Russian
Degree: University degree in teaching English as a foreign language.
Experience: 10 years.
Location: Orekhovo metro station. Travelling is no problem (not Moscow region) within a reasonable walk from the metro station.
Groups: one to one or up to 3 students.
Level: Beginner to Advanced
English for special purposes: Restaurant English, Hotel English.
Age groups: teenagers, adults.

ForeignerMoscow
29-09-2009, 13:41
Nationality: USA
Languages Taught: English (All Levels) / Spanish (Beginner - Intermediate) / Russian (Beginner - Intermediate)
Lessons: Quality English Lessons at your location of choice
Additional Information: Source Solutions - Native English Teachers (http://www.whereisdaniel.com/ss/)

Additional Interests: Computer programming, Linux, Business, and Politics.

Have you tried studying English at a school? Not satisfied? Try me.

peregrina
29-09-2009, 19:35
Name: Sarah
Nationality: New Zealander

Experience: I have been teaching EFL full-time in Moscow for over a year.

Education: Law, French and Latin. I also hold the CELTA, in which I achieved a rare 'A' pass.

Work background: in a law firm in NZ and as a qualified EFL teacher in Moscow.

Languages: native English, pre-intermediate Russian (enough to propel lessons forward when students get stuck, but I teach in English).
Also: Upper-intermediate French (I studied it for eight years). Excellent Latin and some Ancient Greek. A little German. Some Maori.

Area: green/grey line south and the centre are most convenient, but I am very happy to travel.

What I teach: exam English, business English, legal English, general English (all levels). Also, I love teaching children.

I have just come back to Moscow after finishing my last contract and have some gaps in my schedule. I'd love to hear from you.

PM me!

StudyLab
23-10-2009, 13:15
Hello. My name is Dmitry. I represent successful educational agency StudyLab and we are seeking to recruit native English teacher. Currently, we set up a new project “Studyteens” dedicated to pupils and development of their English skills. Our company organizes wide range of open seminars in different museums and galleries over Moscow city that consist of two parts: an excursion and lessons with both practical and creative tasks. There are at least 10 events are planned and they will be held only on Sundays. Approximate time is from 11.00 am till 14.00 pm. So we want to find enthusiastic teacher who will conduct such lessons and make them unusual and interesting for pupils.
Responsibilities:
• Organization of seminars in terms of conducting and designing lessons;
• Involve pupils into work and stimulate them to use English language;
• Develop English skills of pupils;
• Design of educational material on excursion subject.
Requirements:
• Desire and ability to work with children;
• Native English is must;
• Strong communication skills;
• Creativity and enthusiasm;
• Experience in teaching.
With best regards, Dmitry
Marketing Manager
Contacts: (495) 933-55-69
8 916 501 14 89
E – mail: marketing@studylab.ru
STUDYLAB - Обучение и образование за рубежом за границей (http://www.studylab.ru), www.stutyart.ru

Bels
23-10-2009, 13:37
Studylab. Although your ad is most welcome it should be in the marketplace under employment. This is teachers' discusion folder and this is a thread inviting private teachers, and not employees. Hence I have requested the above post to be removed. And possibly this post also when done.

opag78
09-11-2009, 16:54
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opag78:
Nationality: Native German
Language: Teach German as a foreign or second language.
Area: Moscow (within the Ring Line)
Groups: Groups up to 5
Qualifications : More than 1 year experience in teaching (being employed now by a local Institute in Moscow and before in Germany)
One to one: Only for serious learners (willing to do homework, regular attendance).
Levels: All levels, including Business German.
-Currently working with Corporate Clients on intermediate and advance levels (in General and Business Language) and with private Students on Beginner Level.
-Being a Professional in IT and Finance (Teaching is my second job) I am able to teach Professional Language and Communication in German
-I teach only at evenings in the week-time (after 6:30 pm) and on weekend.
Age groups: Adults only, 18+.

drwho
09-11-2009, 20:41
You have tried the rest- now try the best !!!

Area: Moscow, will teach in other locations near to the center and at your home or office if on Metro line.
Groups: Up to 9 people
Age groups: Adults and well behaved teenagers

Contact: web: Home (English teacher in Moscow) (http://sites.google.com/site/englishteacherinmoscow/)

Why me as a teacher? Clear pure accent, good experience, sense of humor, creative lessons, friendly personality, cheap lessons

If you contact me please say your name, where you are and where you saw my advert.

Bels
09-11-2009, 23:19
You have tried the rest- now try the best !!!

Area: Moscow, will teach in other locations near to the center and at your home or office if on Metro line.
Groups: Up to 9 people
Age groups: Adults and well behaved teenagers

Contact: web: Home (English teacher in Moscow) (http://sites.google.com/site/englishteacherinmoscow/)

Why me as a teacher? Clear pure accent, good experience, sense of humor, creative lessons, friendly personality, cheap lessons

If you contact me please say your name, where you are and where you saw my advert.

Dr Who. Why compete as we all have our own specialities. For example you have already stated that you are terrified of kids and beginners. But isn't that what EFL teachers are all about in their skills. To have the ability to teach foreigners who cannot communicate in Engilsh. How do you do it? Many say. How do you do it without translation? That is the professional knowledge of a real EFL teacher. Teaching English to those who can already communicate with and possibly taught by Russians, well you going in the wrong direction.

If you cant teach English to English to beginner s, you are not an EFL teacher. Do you have that special skill?

So why are you better than others. Can you cover the whole area of Moscow for example? Because I can't , or I won't.

drwho
10-11-2009, 10:24
Dr Who. Why compete as we all have our own specialities. For example you have already stated that you are terrified of kids and beginners. But isn't that what EFL teachers are all about in their skills. To have the ability to teach foreigners who cannot communicate in Engilsh. How do you do it? Many say. How do you do it without translation? That is the professional knowledge of a real EFL teacher. Teaching English to those who can already communicate with and possibly taught by Russians, well you going in the wrong direction.

If you cant teach English to English to beginner s, you are not an EFL teacher. Do you have that special skill?

So why are you better than others. Can you cover the whole area of Moscow for example? Because I can't , or I won't.

Bels we don't need your caustic comments on here. My bit on being better than others was a soft bit of humor and we all have to sell ourselves, you should know that. I do not teach beginners and never have. I don't want to or need to. That's my choice. Let people post their services on here and leave it at that we are all here to survive and do the best we can. If you cant be helpful or funny don't say anything.

Thanks.

Bluebird
10-11-2009, 23:28

So why are you better than others. Can you cover the whole area of Moscow for example? Because I can't , or I won't.Bels I do not see a problem with this tongue-in-cheek ad - using arguably one of the oldest sales pitches and clich's in the world.

With all due respect Bels, a person who is selling him/herself and, as a result his/her business and livelihood, has an absolute right to word their adverts as they see fit - as long as they are not breaking any existing national nor international laws. And, moreover, promising things and/or services, which they can not possibly deliver upon....Such as guaranteeing (such ads were banned in the UK some years ago) a driving test pass in 12 lessons.

I believe it's called liberty - freedom of speech, so to speak, and all that jazz. The type of stuff our fathers and forefathers fought and laid down their lives for.

As to your question, "Why compete ?" What's he supposed to do - sit at home and suck his thumb and play with his todger all day? Competition is the very foundation of a democratic society, by the way.

To be quite honest...I feel that what you have written smacks of a ditty of a perfect tin-pot dictator and is, moreover, completely nonsensical.

His ad gets my vote 500%, and I wish him nothing but good luck.

drwho
10-11-2009, 23:35
Bels I do not see a problem with this tongue-in-cheek ad - using arguably one of the oldest sales pitches and clich's in the world.

With all due respect Bels, a person who is selling him/herself and, as a result his/her business and livelihood, has an absolute right to word their adverts as they see fit - as long as they are not breaking any existing national nor international laws. And, moreover, promising things and/or services, which they can not possibly deliver upon....Such as guaranteeing (such ads were banned in the UK some years ago) a driving test pass in 12 lessons.

I believe it's called liberty - freedom of speech, so to speak, and all that jazz. The type of stuff our fathers and forefathers fought and laid down their lives for.

His ad gets my vote and I wish him nothing but good luck.

Bluebird I could not have put it better myself, if you were here now I would kiss you man or woman. Thanks. :10806:

Bluebird
10-11-2009, 23:50
Bluebird I could not have put it better myself, if you were here now I would kiss you man or woman. Thanks. :10806:Lol, I'm 100% hot-blooded male...Who drinks vodka, on Friday evenings, plays Russian billiards and women, drinks coffee and smokes too much - can be grumpy at times and does not suffer fools easily. :10293: Oh, I'm also a workaholic and I love a good ding-dong of a debate - either in Russian or English...:11629::verycool:

Bluebird
11-11-2009, 00:11

So why are you better than others. Can you cover the whole area of Moscow for example? Because I can't , or I won't.Teaching English to those who can already communicate with and possibly taught by Russians, well you going in the wrong direction.

Bels, I'm trying hard to try to make sense of what you are getting at here, with this (above) statement. Are you suggesting that Russian teacher's of English are bad...or just not as good as you or the rest of us (ahem, so-called expert, by dint of country of birth) ex-pat teacher's?

I'm sorry, but I can not get a handle on what you mean, by his 'going in the wrong direction,' if possibly taught to communicate by Russian's.

Anna Lazutkina
11-11-2009, 01:07
... well you going in the wrong direction.

Looks like an open-and-shut case of the pot bottom calling the kettle bottom black.

Bels
11-11-2009, 02:05
Teaching English to those who can already communicate with and possibly taught by Russians, well you going in the wrong direction.

Bels, I'm trying hard to try to make sense of what you are getting at here, with this (above) statement. Are you suggesting that Russian teacher's of English are bad...or just not as good as you or the rest of us (ahem, so-called expert, by dint of country of birth) ex-pat teacher's?

I'm sorry, but I can not get a handle on what you mean, by his 'going in the wrong direction,' if possibly taught to communicate by Russian's.

There may well be some very good Russian English teachers here in Moscow. But I haven't met one apart from my wife.

In fact to tell you the truth there are many in state schools of which I have experienced locally who can't even communicate in English and yet they are teaching English, and that to me is unbelievable. For example you can't use the system of translating English grammar from Russian to English, as this system doesn't work. You simply cannot discuss English constantly using the Russiannguage. Especially if you are teaching from young children to young teenagers. And if you don't already have a high standard of English as a Russian you shouldn't be teaching at all. But hey somehow bluff their way through and they do it somehow. Yes fill in the gaps of a th\t terrible Milliebook I have the answer book, and I will see if you are right or wrong. It doesn't work that way.

Teaching is English to English from the very beginning at the age of 4 plus. It works and I knw full well it works best. Due to my many pupils now 9 plus. They are brilliant and fluent in English. Well ok going a bit far, but they are almost there.

Bels
11-11-2009, 02:14
Bels we don't need your caustic comments on here. My bit on being better than others was a soft bit of humor and we all have to sell ourselves, you should know that. I do not teach beginners and never have. I don't want to or need to. That's my choice. Let people post their services on here and leave it at that we are all here to survive and do the best we can. If you cant be helpful or funny don't say anything.

Thanks.

Sorry I just gave my opinion about what an EFL teacher should be. And te difference of what we are compared to those who teach native English. And yes it is a special different gift we have. One day you might be teaching a group of mixed languages. That is what an ESL or EFL teacher does.

There is nothing caustic about it. And I hope we continue to be mates.

My other concern is that there is no need to compete aginst each other, as there are not that many of us. We expecially me stick to a tight area, with our own specialities.

We should be united. not fighting with each other, as there is no need for us to fight. I hope we continue to be forum mates. As I don't need any enemies.

Bluebird
11-11-2009, 02:52
... well you going in the wrong direction.

Looks like an open-and-shut case of the pot bottom calling the kettle bottom black.Actually, If I'm not very much mistaken...Should it not be, "Well you're going in the wrong direction?"

To be quite honest, all this person did - his/her only sin; was to put an advert on this forum Bels, and there you go - stomping all over him or her (for his/her choice of headline) with your size nine boots, yet again.

Why and for what purpose is beyond me; as I am sure it is for most logically-thinking people reading this utter tosh and nonsense you have created.

And you know what...Sometimes it is best if one simply keeps their opinions to themselves - especially when it comes to the advertisements posted, by others' offering their services. I also take issue and challenge with your over-generalisation about Russian teacher's of English. But that's for another day.

Having said that, before criticising others', however, perhaps you might care to pay infinitely more attention to your style of writing, spelling and syntax - making the things you write a little easier to decipher at first glance/read.

I'm beginning to wonder if, perhaps, you might have worked, at one time or another, for an insurance company - writing the unintelligible small print at the bottom and on the back of their policy documents.

drwho
11-11-2009, 08:39
Lol, I'm 100% hot-blooded male...Who drinks vodka, on Friday evenings, plays Russian billiards and women, drinks coffee and smokes too much - can be grumpy at times and does not suffer fools easily. :10293: Oh, I'm also a workaholic and I love a good ding-dong of a debate - either in Russian or English...:11629::verycool:

I am like you although I prefer wine or beer than vodka. I got too drunk on it once and was very ill. Thanks for your comment I agree. Nice day and you must be a good teacher. Bels has an attitude that is a little offensive and strange but we are all different that's what makes life and people interesting. I am sure he is OK when he has had a few beers and a good meal. I let him be, but he should watch what he writes on here. Bels has had bad experiences with schools here and I believe him. I have to (we all have!), although in my case not in Russia. That's just how it is.

Bels should let others post what they like and not post under their adverts since its not his business to do so. Bels get a life and relax man. Cheer up. Don't do it again or I'll give you a virtual slap. The other forum site maybe more your style.

dontcallme
11-11-2009, 14:03
Sorry Bels I think you're wrong on this one. If someone advertises themselves by stating other teachers are incompetent and they are great then maybe someone should have a word. DRwho made a joke about himself being the best, which is standard for an advert. He didn't suggest others are useless or not real teachers.

As for Russian teachers: I've met many who are excellent teachers and I often share teaching techniques and methods with each other Sure there are advantages being a native speaker but just like there are different kinds of teacher there are different kinds of student.

As a complete beginner of Russian I don't think I could learn without my teacher having some English. Maybe some students can learn from the beginning using just the language they are learning but I'm sure there are students like me who wouldn't able to handle it. Once again different strokes for different folk and the Moscovites teaching English certainly have their place.

drwho
11-11-2009, 15:43
sorry bels i think you're wrong on this one. If someone advertises themselves by stating other teachers are incompetent and they are great then maybe someone should have a word. Drwho made a joke about himself being the best, which is standard for an advert. He didn't suggest others are useless or not real teachers.

As for russian teachers: I've met many who are excellent teachers and i often share teaching techniques and methods with each other sure there are advantages being a native speaker but just like there are different kinds of teacher there are different kinds of student.

As a complete beginner of russian i don't think i could learn without my teacher having some english. Maybe some students can learn from the beginning using just the language they are learning but i'm sure there are students like me who wouldn't able to handle it. Once again different strokes for different folk and the moscovites teaching english certainly have their place.

!! :11629:

Bluebird
12-11-2009, 04:04
Sorry Bels I think you're wrong on this one. If someone advertises themselves by stating other teachers are incompetent and they are great then maybe someone should have a word. DRwho made a joke about himself being the best, which is standard for an advert. He didn't suggest others are useless or not real teachers.

As for Russian teachers: I've met many who are excellent teachers and I often share teaching techniques and methods with each other Sure there are advantages being a native speaker but just like there are different kinds of teacher there are different kinds of student.

As a complete beginner of Russian I don't think I could learn without my teacher having some English. Maybe some students can learn from the beginning using just the language they are learning but I'm sure there are students like me who wouldn't able to handle it. Once again different strokes for different folk and the Moscovites teaching English certainly have their place.Nice post and thanks.

Bluebird
12-11-2009, 04:09
I am like you although I prefer wine or beer than vodka. I got too drunk on it once and was very ill. Thanks for your comment I agree. Nice day and you must be a good teacher. Bels has an attitude that is a little offensive and strange but we are all different that's what makes life and people interesting. I am sure he is OK when he has had a few beers and a good meal. I let him be, but he should watch what he writes on here. Bels has had bad experiences with schools here and I believe him. I have to (we all have!), although in my case not in Russia. That's just how it is.

Bels should let others post what they like and not post under their adverts since its not his business to do so. Bels get a life and relax man. Cheer up. Don't do it again or I'll give you a virtual slap. The other forum site maybe more your style.I think that Bels has done a remarkable job of being a constant contributor to these ELT forums and I'm sure you're right on that one. Tis also true that there would never be any lively debate and discourse if we were all the same...:11158:

Olchik09
20-11-2009, 18:54
I have a boy 5-year old. are you interested in teaching him? - Olga

drwho
20-11-2009, 19:10
I have a boy 5-year old. are you interested in teaching him? - Olga

Olga are you asking me or anyone? I do not teach kids only adults. My nerves are not strong enough !! :-)

Bels
20-11-2009, 20:16
Olga are you asking me or anyone? I do not teach kids only adults. My nerves are not strong enough !! :-)

I hope you are teaching your own kid English. Come on as you must have the experience. There is nothing more enjoyable teaching kids English from beginner level. and bringing them up to advanced level all on your own.

Now that to me is an EFL teachers dream. And I am doing that very dream. So far the highest achievemnt I have is about Pre- intermediate from teaching them at beginner or starter level. Of course a very high communication level in speaking, writing, reading, and listening. What can be poosibly be more enjoyable. It beats teaching and for perparing those for IELTS anytime. For some reason or other such courses terrify the students II have had. I would have lost them, unless I pursuaded them to go back, perhaps to a Cambridge Upper intermediate or advanced course. This is just my experience, mock testing such students on IELTS shocked them into realising that their English wasn't as good as they thought.

drwho
20-11-2009, 20:38
I hope you are teaching your own kid English. Come on as you must have the experience. There is nothing more enjoyable teaching kids English from beginner level. and bringing them up to advanced level all on your own.

Now that to me is an EFL teachers dream. And I am doing that very dream. So far the highest achievemnt I have is about Pre- intermediate from teaching them at beginner or starter level. Of course a very high communication level in speaking, writing, reading, and listening. What can be poosibly be more enjyable. It beats teaching and for perparing those for IELTS anytime. For some reason or other such courses terrify the students II have had. I would have lost them, unless I pursueded them to go back, perhaps to a cambridge Upper intermediate or advanced course. This is just my experience, mock testing such students on IELTS shocked them into realising that their English wasn't as good as they thought.

....eh??? sorry to be rude but your spelling is not so good on the above post. Teaching kids is your choice my choice is not to teach them. You do as you want and I'll do as I want. :11513:

Bels
20-11-2009, 21:10
....eh??? sorry to be rude but your spelling is not so good on the above post. Teaching kids is your choice my choice is not to teach them. You do as you want and I'll do as I want. :11513:

Excuse me :) I got fives in spelling in school. But typing I didn't learn speed typing untill mach later. I type immediately on a forum, without planning and editing from a word processer. A missing vowel? Of which I have already edited? so what.

Bels
20-11-2009, 21:23

Do as you want is what I don't care about. Bi have given my opinion not to you alone, but as usual I speak to all members. I might use you as an example, where you have your own own opinion, and where I have mine. If I wanted to tell you something personally, I would PM you. We have already practiced this. We are now discussing opinions to all if we speak on a forum.

Bluebird
21-11-2009, 00:51
Excuse me :) I got fives in spelling in school. But typing I didn't learn speed typing untill mach later. I type immediately on a forum, without planning and editing from a word processer. A missing vowel? Of which I have already edited? so what.I hope you are teaching your own kid English. Come on as you must have the experience. There is nothing more enjoyable teaching kids English from beginner level. and bringing them up to advanced level all on your own. Why Bels, I never realised you could be so pedantic in your attention as to how other people should bring up very own their children in a world according to Bel's didactic views. I feel that the sheer cheek of that statement is just a little beyond the pale and totally uncalled for.

Teaching one's own children the ability to read and write (and the joy that that brings to loving parents) and those of others' are two totally different things, unless I am very much mistaken?

And, furthermore, why "must" he have the experience? I know people (including my brother, who has a BA and an MA and is a professor of linguistics) who have been in the ELT/TEFL business for donkey's years and have avoided teaching teaching children like the plague.

And as for your getting "fives'in spelling school:

A) I did not know we employed the old Soviet and still today's Russian system of grading school work in the UK...Perhaps I blinked and missed something?

B) I was not aware of the fact we had such grandiose educational establishments as "spelling schools" either.

C) You are, however, right about one thing...This is a public forum. However, that does not give you the right to espouse your views on how other people should bring up and educate their children.

And that statement, moreover, has nothing to do whatsoever, with the professional teaching of English, per se; which is what I thought these particular forums on this website were created for in the first place.

I have to say that I find that type statement highly offensive...Especially when written on a public forum and addressed to any one particular person: in such a holier-than-though vain.

Judge
21-11-2009, 03:40
Why is this thread turning into a p*ssing contest???

Give it a rest..

Bluebird
21-11-2009, 07:35
Why is this thread turning into a p*ssing contest???

Give it a rest..I agree. However, one can not nor should not make such grandiose statements about how he/she thinks the children of other people's families should be educated, by their parents, on such a public platform - it is none of their business and then: expect to get away with it without an adequate response.

Moreover, I, again, to make my point...That that is not what these English language/educational forums on this site are all about; for I fail to see the relevance to the teaching of TEFL methodologies, classroom problems and other related TEFL topics, etc, in Bel's last statement of (his) opinion - directed to the person concerned.

Sorry, but I found that (Bel's) statement somewhat disturbing and wholly objectionable. :boxing::yellowcard:

Judge
21-11-2009, 11:19
True, it's no one's business..
If a teacher doesn't want to teach kids then so be it..

We have a sticky where teachers can promote themselves..
http://www.expat.ru/forum/teachers-discussion-folder/52514-esl-efl-teachers-trial-directory.html

robertmf
21-11-2009, 11:29
Excuse me :) I got fives in spelling in school. But typing I didn't learn speed typing untill much later. I type immediately on a forum, without planning and editing from a word processer. A missing vowel? Of which I have already edited? so what.

ImHO one need have some consideration for the foreigners looking up words in their dictionary/словарь. It makes it easier for them to have words spelled corectly. Quantity is not necessarily quality.

Bels
21-11-2009, 15:03
I seemed to have ruffled up a few feathers here, and it wasn't intended.

I have been trying to welcome teachers here on this folder for the past few years now, and I have no desire to upset any of them, including Dr Who. Of course Dr Who shouldn't teach children if he doesn't want to.

So let us make this a peace treaty, as we EFL teachers should stick together and help each other. Believe me that has always been my purpose here.

Bels
21-11-2009, 15:06
True, it's no one's business..
If a teacher doesn't want to teach kids then so be it..

We have a sticky where teachers can promote themselves..
http://www.expat.ru/forum/teachers-discussion-folder/52514-esl-efl-teachers-trial-directory.html

That's the link I gave Dr Who when he asked me. He took me up on it and posted his ad there, He won't be disturbed there.

moscowjim
01-12-2009, 22:13
Hello.

Well, I'm British and have been teaching in Moscow for about two years. I have worked for some Moscow based English schools in the past but now teach individuals, groups and corporate clients privately. I am TEFL qualified and have experience teaching to a diverse age group from 6-years-old and up. I have experience in teaching General English, English for Business and Law from beginner to advanced and can prepare students for exams. Experienced with CV and interview preparation. I am clearly spoken with a friendly disposition. I cover all of Moscow and charge a competitive rate for a 90min class. I can speak basic Russian but am still learning!

Bels
01-12-2009, 22:22
Hello.

Well, I'm British and have been teaching in Moscow for about two years. I have worked for some Moscow based English schools in the past but now teach individuals, groups and corporate clients privately. I am TEFL qualified and have experience teaching to a diverse age group from 6-years-old and up. I have experience in teaching General English, English for Business and Law from beginner to advanced and can prepare students for exams. Experienced with CV and interview preparation. I am clearly spoken with a friendly disposition. I cover all of Moscow and charge a competitive rate for a 90min class. I can speak basic Russian but am still learning!

Then you are welcome Jim, as that is what this thread is all about. It is about bringing teachers together. Please keep in touch and continue to respond here with your ideas of how a teacher survives here, either privately or as an employee. Yes we will bicker now and again, but that is only human nature.

Daniel
22-02-2010, 19:07
I am a Spanish native teacher that came 3 weeks ago from Barcelona to Moscow. I have been teaching Spanish, Catalan and English in Barcelona during 2 years.

Nationality: Spanish
Language: Teach Spanish, Catalan and English, and I can speak Italian an German too
Area: Park Kultyry.
Groups: normally I give private lessons in here. Nevertheless, I can give lessons for a groups.
Levels: I teach any Spanish level.
Age groups: Any age

My cell number is: +79645371971