PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Mac Pro ram?

snow&music
22-08-2009, 10:12
Hi, does anyone know where I can find ram for my Mac Pro? I have the pre '08 model, so I need the 667hz simms. Any help would be great!

Thanks, S.

Strider
22-08-2009, 11:17
I think you can buy them anywhere... it just has to be DDR2 SO-DIMM either 667Mhz or 800Mhz

can you replace ram yourself? if you can, you can simply order ram online, if you need someone to do work for you... then it's better for you to go to some market, like gorbushka, and have some guys from the store change it for you, after you've bought it

TD
22-08-2009, 15:53
I think you can buy them anywhere... it just has to be DDR2 SO-DIMM either 667Mhz or 800Mhz

Correct - you would be just wasting money by going to the apple stores. I suggest either Gorbushka or Savyolovski rynok.

snow&music
24-08-2009, 12:50
Thanks for the feedback, I agree, buying apple official ram would be over expensive. I am not an expert in apple ram, my experience has only been in building pc's (and that experience is probably out of date by now). I am looking for the following

24.0GB Mac Pro Memory Matched Set (4GB... (OWC53FB4MPK24GB) at OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53FB4MPK24GB/)

Sorry for what may be a stupid question, but will this be hard to find in gorbushka? Or is this type of ram compatible with pc's and thus easy to obtain?

It's a load of ram, but as I use the apple for ram intensive programmes (Logic & graphics stuff) I decided to go nuts. :)

Thanks for any help you can give, if you know a specific place or person who can help that would be great. I know, in principle I could order from overseas, but I'd like to have the product in my hand when I hand over the cash!

Strider
24-08-2009, 14:09
I'm sorry, I got it wrong... I thought it was MacBook Pro...

if you have Mac Pro then I guess you have to buy this type of memory... it's not apple proprietary, it's a typical server ram

but apple ram is ridiculously expensive here, so if I had to get that memory for myself, I would go for this: XCOM-SHOP (http://www.xcom-shop.ru/index.php?show=good&key=126301&catalog=1711382935)
or this: Samsung RAM (http://www.apitcomp.ru/shop/part591/ven191/item102292/)

I know the first shop, I've been using it for quite a while and I didn't have any problems returning hardware or exchanging it for a different model, although that was few years ago

and I don't know the second shop, but that Samsung ram would also be a good choice

FatAndy
24-08-2009, 15:37
Price.RU - ddr2 fb-dimm 4gb | памя‚Œ DIMM | Цен‹ (http://www.price.ru/bin/price/prodlist?curr=2&vcid=01030202&base=1&pnam=ddr2%20fb-dimm%204gb&cid=090202&where=00&sort=5) - here are ddr2 fb-dimms search results on price.ru. Server-alike memory purchase is not easy procedure though.

I agree with Strider - X-Com (they're not far from Sokol metro AFAIR) usually has good policy for clients.
In my link Flash Computers also has not a bad feedback.

I could highly recommend to have moneyback/exchange feature discussed with sales people in the shop fbefore the purchase (there is a probability to get modules incompatible with your Mac). To avoid time waste - call the shop in advance, ask about needed qty of modules on stock and reserve them for you.

If you want buy from the side of legal entity, not as a private person - refer to distributors Patriarch ( http://www.memory.ru ) or Ak-Cent ( http://www.ak-cent.ru ). Ak-Cent also has retail division: http://bestmemory.ru/

Also, to avoid problems, observe all possible ESD precautions while installing those modules. If you're not sure about this - take Mac to the shop and ask guys to do it for you.

snow&music
25-08-2009, 08:25
Thanks for the help, much appreciated! One last question, the ram for sale on the sites doesn't have the enormous heat sinks which mac ram has. Is it possible to buy ram heat sinks in Moscow (any ideas?), and er... superglue them on to the ram?

Qdos
25-08-2009, 09:19
I can't truly recommend superglue, but this stuff is just the job... ;)

Arctic Silver, Inc. - Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm)

Strider
25-08-2009, 10:48
Thanks for the help, much appreciated! One last question, the ram for sale on the sites doesn't have the enormous heat sinks which mac ram has. Is it possible to buy ram heat sinks in Moscow (any ideas?), and er... superglue them on to the ram?

I wouldn't consider this to be a problem... I think samsung knows better than apple what temperatures it's memory can handle :)

and you'll be running it downclocked, from 800Mhz to 667Mhz

FatAndy
25-08-2009, 11:27
the ram for sale on the sites doesn't have the enormous heat sinks which mac ram has. - heatsinks usually provided for extreme overclockers. I've never seen server memory with them as servers usually have more than adequate internal airflow and never being overclocked.

Do your currently installed memory modules have heatsinks? Were they originally installed to your Mac at factory production? If yes, then I recommend to buy them with heatsinks, if not - don't worry on that, especially if 800->667 MHz downclock as Strider noticed.

Meanwhile if you'll get normally naked modules overheated afterwards, then you can install heatsinks yourself - they're separately available at Moscow radiomarkets and small IT retail shops at Gorbushka, Savela, Budyona etc (don't seek at Eldorado, M-Video and similar). As same as tubes with thermoconductive glue АлСил-5 (termoklei Al-Sil-pyat').

snow&music
25-08-2009, 11:28
Thanks for the great replies! I'll try to pick up some Samsung ram, and some glue. Not sure where I'll get the heat sinks, but I guess I could glue an elaborate array of paperclips to the side if I have to! :)

snow&music
25-08-2009, 11:35
Do your currently installed memory modules have heatsinks? Were they originally installed to your Mac at factory production? If yes, then I recommend to buy them with heatsinks, if not - don't worry on that, especially if 800->667 MHz downclock as Strider noticed.

Mac proprietry ram comes with huge heat sinks as standard, and from what I've read about it the sinks are there keep fan noise down (as well as to keep the operating temp at a good level). I'm not sure how well ram without heat sinks will work, and what the noise consequences will be (when my Mac Pro fans really kick in it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, otherwise it is silent). I have read a couple of articles that say 'non-heatsinked' ram can cause crashes etc.

I'll try to pick up 8gb of Samsung ram, thermo glue and some heat sinks (just in case) and experiment. The cost of Apple ram here is crazy, like 50k rur for 4gb or something nuts!

FatAndy
25-08-2009, 11:36
Please if possible tell there about your story end - who is vendor finally, which local company was supplier, how much papers you scraped off your fat wallet, how was purchase and installation process, quality of service etc.

snow&music
25-08-2009, 11:58
Please if possible tell there about your story end - who is vendor finally, which local company was supplier, how much papers you scraped off your fat wallet, how was purchase and installation process, quality of service etc.

Will do! Hopefully there will be a happy ending!

snow&music
31-08-2009, 16:36
Update:-

I went to Gorbushka on Sunday, and picked up 2 sticks of 800hz 2gb ram (2300 rur) and some easy fix heat sinks (150 rur each). Back home I carefully stuck the sinks to the ram, and popped open the side of my Mac.

I pulled out the ram caddy, and then the trouble started. It turns out that Apple ram has a different 'pin' configuration to 'normal' ram. There was a small plastic riser in the slot, which was in a diffrent place to the ram I bought.

@#$%!!!

So, mmmmmm, not too sure what my next steps will be.... (apart from not spending 50k rur on 4 gb of official Mac ram.

FatAndy
31-08-2009, 16:47
@#$%!!! - exactly! Hope you've made deal about moneyback?

Next time take RAM caddy with you to the market (wrap with antistatic bag) and check at the place if they get into place. Don't forget you need not usual desktop DIMMs, but FB-DIMMs (fully buffered, for server systems).

Strider
31-08-2009, 17:13
Update:-

I went to Gorbushka on Sunday, and picked up 2 sticks of 800hz 2gb ram (2300 rur) and some easy fix heat sinks (150 rur each). Back home I carefully stuck the sinks to the ram, and popped open the side of my Mac.

I pulled out the ram caddy, and then the trouble started. It turns out that Apple ram has a different 'pin' configuration to 'normal' ram. There was a small plastic riser in the slot, which was in a diffrent place to the ram I bought.

@#$%!!!

So, mmmmmm, not too sure what my next steps will be.... (apart from not spending 50k rur on 4 gb of official Mac ram.

did you buy 2 memory sticks for 2300r, or was it 2300r each?

if it's in total, then it doesn't look like FB-DIMM

are you sure that you have FB-DIMM? can you post some photos here?

apple ram looks identical to other FB-DIMM memory on pictures... so if it doesn't fit, then maybe it's not FB-DIMM that you have?

Qdos
31-08-2009, 17:50
Always take in an old stick if you're not sure.............. :nut:

snow&music
01-09-2009, 14:01
did you buy 2 memory sticks for 2300r, or was it 2300r each?

if it's in total, then it doesn't look like FB-DIMM

are you sure that you have FB-DIMM? can you post some photos here?

apple ram looks identical to other FB-DIMM memory on pictures... so if it doesn't fit, then maybe it's not FB-DIMM that you have?

Good point! I'll try to take some pics later. It was only 2300 for 2 so maybe it was none FB? It is the same height as the Apple ram though.

Strider
01-09-2009, 14:09
Good point! I'll try to take some pics later. It was only 2300 for 2 so maybe it was none FB? It is the same height as the Apple ram though.

2300 for two looks like usual DDR2 memory... FB should be about 3000 per one 2Gb memory module

you should try to take them back to the store or change them for FB modules... and you can take your RAM caddy to make sure that new memory modules fit

snow&music
28-09-2009, 14:40
Just to close this story. In the end I ordered via Other World Computers

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC (http://www.macsales.com/)

via a UK address, then picked it up on a trip.

OWC are great, superfast delivery, well packed and the RAM is perfect. Apparently they do deliver direct to Russia, but there are some value limits (read their FAQ/shipping section for details).

I'd certainly recommend them, assuming the delivery issues can be circumnavigated...

Fitting the RAM was a piece of cake (Mac Pro's are very easy to pull to bits and put back together)

FatAndy
28-09-2009, 15:39
Congratulations with this! ;)

RIKO
30-09-2009, 17:25
Fitting the RAM was a piece of cake (Mac Pro's are very easy to pull to bits and put back together)

By the way, have you seen a big improvement in the performance of your MacBook Pro with this extra RAM? I am thinking of upgrading my late 2007 Mac from 2Gb to 4Gb to speed up handling photo images etc.

snow&music
01-10-2009, 15:03
I'm using a Mac Pro, not a Mac Book Pro and I now have 18gb, rather than the 2gb it shipped with, so quite a leap in ram. I guess it depends what you are using your MBP for.

I am using Logic a lot, as well as Illustrator, PS etc. The ram certainly seems to have sped up Logic, particularly with virtual instruments etc. PS & Illustrator run better too.

So, if you are using graphic design or music creation software I believe you will notice a change, if not then maybe not much. Also, as I have gone ram-mad I will be seeing more of a step change than between 2gb & 4gb.

Incidentally I have seen no benefit at all if I switch to Vista 32 via bootcamp, I believe this is down to Vista's inability to deal with >4gb ram, and the DIMMs I have being 4gb each once I get past the first 2gb. If anyone has a suggestion on how to capitalise on the extra ram under Vista 32, then please let me know. I'm not really an expert on OS's

FatAndy
01-10-2009, 15:21
Vista x64 must help you. But I'm not sure how it will behave at Mac.

snow&music
01-10-2009, 15:42
I was thinking the same thing. I've just had a nose around the net, and it seems that all 32 bit OS' cannot access >4gb ram. Maybe I'll take out my 2nd ram caddy, which has the original 2gb on it, and see if Vista 32 will then utilise 4gb, rather than 2gb.

Vista 32 spots the 18gb ram, but when I look at system info it is only using the first 2gb's.

Sadly I think I may need to do a total re-install of my PC formatted HD with Vista 64, which is a real pain in the a$$. I don't use Vista much, but I have some software which is not published for the Mac, so I need to swap accross now and again. I'm not sure if Windows 7 will be any better. It seems like there is a fundamental problem with software compatibility for 64 bit OS's and the majority of PC software. Thus even if I can get a 64 bit Windows OS to run under bootcamp, the software I want to use may then not work. :confused:

FatAndy
01-10-2009, 15:48
Well... I can only recommend you to read different forums in Net to find current situation update and also to try virtual machines usage for older software pieces (it can give some overall perf improvement).