PDA

View Full Version : Wow!You are so-o-o strict Qdos!

tzaritsa
21-08-2009, 23:10
:SwoonLoveSmiley:

Qdos
21-08-2009, 23:18
Normally the spam, and the spammer, vanish at the same instant. If that's what you're trying to draw reference to... however I've got a technical access problem which is temporarily hindering matters...

I think Bels summed it up well when he queried why so many people join and do nothing but post five nonsensical posts to get access to the Marketplace area - and contribute zero to any discussion threads :)

tzaritsa
21-08-2009, 23:26
I agree with you totally and Im in a great admire with you.I`ve seen such kind of posts for the first time.Did he teased or was he serious?

Bels
21-08-2009, 23:33
Normally the spam, and the spammer, vanish at the same instant. If that's what you're trying to draw reference to... however I've got a technical access problem which is temporarily hindering matters...

I think Bels summed it up well when he queried why so many people join and do nothing but post five nonsensical posts to get access to the Marketplace area - and contribute zero to any discussion threads :)

Yes Qdos. I don't think you are strict or over the top. I can name one who has been , but I won't. Thankfully he is not around too much

Let us make it clear. We want this site to be lively and used. We don't want thread starters who want to make their adertisement for example, with lots of posters getting excited making comments and debating , only to discover later that it is only a pasting made on several sites, never to be answered. I have seen it, and regular members have seen it, we don't want them.

All we want is real people interested in life in Russia, we don't want the robots. In other words a very friendly sincere community who want to help each other.
We want a genuine community, and that's what we want. Some of these people here actually meet. Unfortunately due to my predicament I can't. But if any expat lives west of Moscow around Gorki 10 or Uspienskie for example please pm me. I meet one of you expats yet. Two nearly did , but one for example gave up after Gorki 2 :)

Qdos
21-08-2009, 23:35
I agree with you totally and Im in a great admire with you.I`ve seen such kind of posts for the first time.Did he teased or was he serious?

Flattery will get you everywhere... LOL... ;)

But seriously, would you think anyone who joins and posts...

"Five posts before I can advertise..."

Followed, in the same thread... by...

"Post 1"

Then...

"Post 2"

Etc...

Is truly serious about being a sound community member? :suspect:

tzaritsa
21-08-2009, 23:45
Of caurse not,for sure!
Why didnt he go this way "hello!Nice to become a member!Im so,so ets...".Then ask some questions,then tell something nice again.And 5 posts and even more are here.
Such kind of behavior doesnt show any respect to the comunity:10189::bash:

Qdos
21-08-2009, 23:59
Sometimes we all see new posters who can't quite understand where to post or what they should say, and there's a clear difference between these people and the one's who simply desire Marketplace access.

We all do our bit to help the former type, whether it's Mud shaking their cyber-hand until it falls off (joking mate...) or one of the staff putting a wrongly placed post into the correct forum, or a board regular giving them the information they're after...

The latter sort, however, usually prove to be nothing but a nuisance - even if they're allowed to 'get away' with five nonsense posts they'll often go on to break other rules like double-posting adverts and posting adverts over permitted quotas.

Of course none of the mods can discuss individual cases, but we do have access to more information about the poster than ordinary forum members - so even if, sometimes, it's hard to understand why a poster is shown the door, there's often a perfectly good reason, which public members can't actually see...

Thank you for your uplifting comments. Before all else I'm a poster, and still enjoy participating in the threads far more than anything else - and this is a great community :beerbros:

AndreyS
22-08-2009, 00:04
Personally I don't find Post 1 or Post 2 offensive at all.
Nothing special, imho... (There are offensive posts on the forum, not these ones...)
I think we should just let things go... Some people come, some people leave...
Some people are good and kind (and sound!), others are not...It's very obvious from their posts...

Bels
22-08-2009, 00:04
No Way! I think they should sincerely introduce themselves in the introductin section first, to be sincerely considered by other members . They then be appreciated by us other members as a genuine member . It comes through somehow and it works.

Unfortunately I didn;t start there , maybe it wasn't there at the the time. I was simply making serious enquiries about visa laws, marriage to a Russian woman, working in Russia, How to do it on your own in Russia in Business, and then naive me , I decided teaching English was my only survival in Russia. and that is what I have done ever since. No I didn't need to know all this from expat.ru. I got most of this from my now very knowledgable Russian wife. But expat.ru helps a lot.

It's great that when you are far away from your own English speaking country such as Britain, USA, Canada, Australia, Ireland, South Africa that we have this one and only friendly site.

That's what Expat.ru is all about. And let's not forget that there are possibly 50% of very friendly English speaking Russians here who are also good members here. I know for sure this is the best site for them, as a few have told me so in comparison to another competing site who behave ridiculous to them. No name mentioned of course.

This is the the friendly one and only site who wants a close friendly community for all English speakng expats, including English speaking Russians. But not only that this forum has a section for all to to discuss in their own first language. What more could you want. This is the one and only friendly site for sure.

Flattery will get you everywhere... LOL... ;)

But seriously, would you think anyone who joins and posts...

"Five posts before I can advertise..."

Followed, in the same thread... by...

"Post 1"

Then...

"Post 2"

Etc...

Is truly serious about being a sound community member? :suspect:

AndreyS
22-08-2009, 00:11
The more regulations, the more people we put off. Better let them go their way.

Qdos
22-08-2009, 00:12
Personally I don't find Post 1 or Post 2 offensive at all... I think we should just let things go... Some people come, some people leave... some people are good and kind (and sound!), others are not...It's very obvious from their posts...

Nobody said offensive, but repetitive nonsensical posts breach the rules, as do posts made purely for increasing the posters postcount, and when spammers reopen a fresh ID to try and elude being booted off, well they get shown the door afresh... :)

I can't help but wonder how long it will be before a con-artist abuses the Marketplace and rakes in deposits, for - say - an apartment he's shown people around, but which doesn't belong to him... ;)

That would be just great for the community as a whole... NOT...

Bels
22-08-2009, 00:13
Personally I don't find Post 1 or Post 2 offensive at all.
Nothing special, imho... (There are offensive posts on the forum, not these ones...)
I think we should just let things go... Some people come, some people leave...
Some people are good and kind (and sound!), others are not...It's very obvious from their posts...

Neither did I. Nor do I thiink qdos found it offensive. It was almost like a setup to allow beliefs of what is going on here. Qdos is doing what should be done and this should be seen simply as an encouragement.

Expat is becoming even more its true image. Number one in Russia for expats and English speaking people in Russia.

That's what I guess qdos is working on. So I say no offence taken on any posts here. Just my opinion.

AndreyS
22-08-2009, 00:15
I have to agree. ;-)

Bels
22-08-2009, 00:19
The more regulations, the more people we put off. Better let them go their way.

Very true, BUT! I like the way expat going at the moments with just a few hicccups. There appears pressure to encourage genuine participating members and that is what we want. Of course mistake can be made with over security. But for the moment I think it is going the right way. A lot of what watching and non active members are seing the might like it. And hopefully more of them might want to participate here more.

I think it is working for the better, Prove me wrong.

AndreyS
22-08-2009, 00:34
Very true, BUT! I like the way expat going at the moments with just a few hicccups. There appears pressure to encourage genuine participating members and that is what we want. Of course mistake can be made with over security. But for the moment I think it is going the right way. A lot of what watching and non active members are seing the might like it. And hopefully more of them might want to participate here more.

I think it is working for the better, Prove me wrong.

I totally agree. I like how the site is going nowadays either. And some watching people are turning into acitive members these days, you see it. How to encourage others?

Qdos
22-08-2009, 00:36
Personally I'd like to see the site simplified a little, not that I have any more say in that than anyone else does - but there are developments coming and they're being fashioned along the lines of simplicity and will, perhaps, and that's a significant perhaps, begin to segregate personal classifieds from commercial classifieds.

Rules, unfortunately, are necessary. What's perhaps common-sense to most members... isn't to others... and if you want a prime example of badly moderated forums just look at boards such as eBay discussion areas where the moderation is farmed out to so called professional staff, like organisations such as Liveworld!

This thread would be really good if posters voiced their opinions about how the site could be improved, and how Marketplace safety could be assured and what degree of spam type adverts you all think are useful, or should not be allowed here...

Admin are always looking for user feedback, so take advantage of this and make your views known... everything will be taken into account and if there are some good ideas or obvious common opinions, I'm sure they'll be picked up at admin level and scrutinised closely for merit... :)

Bels
22-08-2009, 00:43
Good point about all members here to voice ther opinions about how this site should be improved.

In doing so we will all get their eventually. I think it is already the best forum in its field, but we can always strive to improve on it, So speak up all , including newbies. What do you want from this site?

Bels
22-08-2009, 00:51
I totally agree. I like how the site is going nowadays either. And some watching people are turning into acitive members these days, you see it. How to encourage others?

Yes that's a very very good question. How do we encourage others to become active members. As far as I can see our membership is massive, and competitors if there are any must envy this. How can we pursuade you all to become active as a part of our society. Don't just read us, join in please! We won't bite you.

AndreyS
22-08-2009, 00:52
What do you want from this site?
Easy! I want to be in touch with nice people. Lots of them on the forum.
"Our friends" feature reveals our preferences. ;-)

AndreyS
22-08-2009, 01:04
Yes that's a very very good question. How do we encourage others to become active members. As far as I can see our membership is massive, and competitors if there are any must envy this. How can we pursuade you all to become active as a part of our society. Don't just read us, join in please! We won't bite you.
Absolutely! I never underestood how could that be: they, lots of them, just read and read, without any wish to speak out... We should provoke them somehow...

Yes, I know! One of the currently active members I met recently in person (for the first time) thanked me profusely for my support. The support given a year ago was as follows: I PMed them several times and said: don't shy away from posting a lot, we are friendly here, nobody will offend you, just be active, speak your mind.
And it made them post and become one of the really active members... Now they say: hey Andrey, your PMs were really important for me.

Bels
22-08-2009, 01:10
Absolutely! I never underestood how could that be: they, lots of them, just read and read, without any wish to speak out... We should provoke them somehow...

Yes, I know! One of the currently active members I met recently in person (for the first time) thanked me profusely for my support. The support given a year ago was as follows: I PMed them several times and said: don't shy away from posting a lot, we are friendly here, nobody will offend you, just be active, speak your mind.
And it made them post and become one of the really active members... Now they say: hey Andrey, your PMs were really important for me.

Good post and I know what you mean. Receiving post and anwering them is also very important. These administrators don't realise what an important job we have done for them, as it's not all out here.

Provoking I love doing now aand then, unfortumately some take it the wrong way :) But it works. I do it especially when it is sleepy here at periods of time. Some take it the wrong way, and have no sense of humour to a windup :)

Bels
22-08-2009, 01:15

Nice to see you have a top rating as number 11 as I have just noticed. Just as I assumed to be, but perhaps a little higher.

TD
22-08-2009, 06:26

I think the most important thing is that people feel safe posting, and not opening themselves up to being attacked. There has been plenty of that sort of thing here in the past, but I believe we have gotten to the point where it happens very infrequently - when it does the offending party is nowhere to be seen for a while :-)

Remember when newbies would get crazy replies to perfectly normal questions? Haven't seen that for a long time.

Another major factor is having a quality mod team, and I am quite proud of the excellent group of people on board at the moment - they deserve a lot of credit for where things are today.

robertmf
22-08-2009, 07:08
How to encourage others?
You could begin by picking up OlgaT's bar tab :) LOL :duhhhh:

If you want to do something less expensive, then all members under poster rank of #20, mods, and admins pick up the tab for a big exPat.ru members' booze party !!-:Loco:

Qdos
22-08-2009, 11:03

Been there, done that... got the t-shirt to prove it too, but I'm not sure it's a positive plan for improving the forums in all honesty... :neiner:

OlgaT
22-08-2009, 12:32

Been there, done that... got the t-shirt to prove it too, but I'm not sure it's a positive plan for improving the forums in all honesty... :neiner:
Thanks a lot for your care.

But if you really think that robertmf's "f*cks" in "Drunk" thread and Qdos's humiliating posts regarding my person can be encouraging you will surely have problems with involving more members in active participation on this forum.

But anyway, I wish you good luck.

MickeyTong
22-08-2009, 13:39
We love you, Olga

robertmf
22-08-2009, 15:48

But if you really think that robertmf's "f*cks" in "Drunk" thread and Qdos's humiliating posts regarding my person

:question: what "f*cks" in Drunk thread ?-не понимаю.

I don't think **Qdos** means to "humiliate" you. Just having some wordplay in fun ... Besides, we are in an internet forum, not in person - so it does not matter at all if **Qdos** thinks you have no chest, eh wot ?-:cry:

Qdos
22-08-2009, 16:38

But if you really think that robertmf's "f*cks" in "Drunk" thread and Qdos's humiliating posts regarding my person can be encouraging you will surely have problems with involving more members in active participation on this forum.

Perhaps I should scrutinise that thread for nortiness, eh? :suspect:

I think there might be a number of casualties, and you know what they say about people in glass houses not throwing stones... :neiner:

OlgaT
22-08-2009, 18:04
:question: what "f*cks" in Drunk thread ?-не понимаю.

I don't think **Qdos** means to "humiliate" you. Just having some wordplay in fun ... Besides, we are in an internet forum, not in person - so it does not matter at all if **Qdos** thinks you have no chest, eh wot ?-:cry:

You have just cancelled out the discussion and conclusions above written.

Without talking about the post following after yours...

I call it hypocrisy.

...We want a genuine community, and that's what we want.

...This is the one and only friendly site for sure.

I think the most important thing is that people feel safe posting, and not opening themselves up to being attacked...

Qdos
22-08-2009, 19:01
I call it hypocrisy.

I call it under-quoting... :)

But some might call continuing personal remarks mod-bashing... :bash:

Even if you really lack any hardcore ammunition...

Please stop hijacking the thread... :9451: