PDA

View Full Version : car idling at start up, yes or no...

Benedikt
20-08-2009, 17:14
let your car idle at start up, a russian habit. :D
yes or no with new cars,russian or import?
my wife :inlove:says yes, i say what for, it is a new car, we just waste time and gas.
i learned at driving school, start the car, drive of slowly, easy on the gas pedal, so all the cold oil has a chance to move around. even more so in winter.
i am not asking who is right or wrong, when we drive, we both do it our way and the other one keeps quite in the meantime.
what do other drivers do?
with a new car or with an old car, russian or imported....

Qdos
20-08-2009, 17:36
You should always warm up the engine before gunning it, but that said... modern manufacturing tolerences are far more accurate than in the old days... and I prefer diesels because they warm up faster and have more torque available from cold, albeit the fuel would freeze in the Russian winter time... :)

Benedikt
20-08-2009, 18:33
You should always warm up the engine before gunning it, but that said... modern manufacturing tolerences are far more accurate than in the old days... and I prefer diesels because they warm up faster and have more torque available from cold, albeit the fuel would freeze in the Russian winter time... :)

but i wrote, drive away SLOWLY to give the engine a change to warm up while driving slowly, and slowly is the world

BeachBum
20-08-2009, 20:05
my wife :inlove:says yes, i say what for, it is a new car, we just waste time and gas.
i learned at driving school, start the car, drive of slowly, easy on the gas pedal, so all the cold oil has a chance to move around. even more so in winter.
i am not asking who is right or wrong, when we drive, we both do it our way and the other one keeps quite in the meantime.
absolutely not necessary with modern fuel injected cars. Oil pressure and engine block components are imediately ready to drive on start.

Swordfish90293
20-08-2009, 21:22

B...you're right...engines are built to operate at a certain temperature. Operating cold subjects it to severe and brutal wear. So the best solution is to drive off slowly and bring the engine to it's operating temperature as quickly as possible.

Have you tried the Shahlik at Rays?

Benedikt
21-08-2009, 10:26
Have you tried the Shahlik at Rays?[/QUOTE]

any good? anything special about it or just shashlik...

trebor
21-08-2009, 11:31
All Russians seem to do it. Leave the car idling for a few minutes before driving away. Don't think it's necessary with modern cars but who knows with Russian ones. ;)

In parts of Siberia people keep their cars running all night otherwise they freeze up.

chrismcgee
21-08-2009, 12:37
It's not necessary with modern cars in the summer months, but it is still best to do it in the winter. Unless you have a block heater installed and plug it in every night, which I haven't seen anywhere in Russia.

Swordfish90293
21-08-2009, 19:08
Have you tried the Shahlik at Rays?

any good? anything special about it or just shashlik...[/QUOTE]

The Shashlik at Rays is very tender...but what do I know...is there another place you might recommend?

Is Shahlik a differently spiced version of Suvlaki without the veggies?

I just returned from Spain and, man, what a delight of seafood and wine...

Benedikt
21-08-2009, 20:01
any good? anything special about it or just shashlik...

The Shashlik at Rays is very tender...but what do I know...is there another place you might recommend?

Is Shahlik a differently spiced version of Suvlaki without the veggies?

I just returned from Spain and, man, what a delight of seafood and wine...[/QUOTE]

shashlik is russian, the rest is up to the chef, what kind of meat, which spices, stick some onions or bell peppers inbetween the meat and so on.
but one thing all have in common, no goog meat, no good food, no marinade and seasonning and basting will make kobe beef out of an old sausage cow...
best shashlik for me?
since 20 years out in ismailovo at the vernisage...
there are four 'mangals' where they grill the meat to perfection. the only thing you ahve to tell them that you do not like your meat well done ( if that is the case) and the result will be juicy and hot and nice....
and because we are all sitting together, it is fun to start talking and so...