PDA

View Full Version : Sending legalised police check to Russia by post

KLi
20-08-2009, 11:43
I've got a question for any Brits who've had their legalised subject access form (Police check) sent from Milton Keynes or another UK address direct to their address in Russia.

How long did it take? Was it sent registered post? Is this a reliable way to get it to me?

I''ve already had one application messed up due to the post going from here(thanks, unnamed useless courier service), just wondering how much to trust it going back the other way. Would it be better to just pay even more and courier it here? Any recommendations of good value RELIABLE courier services?

Grateful for any tips or experience you can offer.
KLi

Qdos
20-08-2009, 11:48
Just use Parcelforce International Datapost.

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?mediaId=load105028&catId=4800007 (not sure, but this might well be a drifting link...)

Documents sent this way usually make Moscow in 3-4 days.

Other cities, well it can take up to eleven working days.

EMS Garantpost will effect secure delivery for Datapost items throughout Russia.

Unregistered stuff always goes missing.

Bels
20-08-2009, 12:38
I've got a question for any Brits who've had their legalised subject access form (Police check) sent from Milton Keynes or another UK address direct to their address in Russia.

How long did it take? Was it sent registered post? Is this a reliable way to get it to me?

I''ve already had one application messed up due to the post going from here(thanks, unnamed useless courier service), just wondering how much to trust it going back the other way. Would it be better to just pay even more and courier it here? Any recommendations of good value RELIABLE courier services?

Grateful for any tips or experience you can offer.
KLi

I assume we are talking about the police check that took you some time to to receive and is now legalised, and if you lose it you will have to go through all that trouble, time and waiting again.

I used a well known courier service to send it to Milton Keynes and have it returned as I was in a hurry due to the fear of it being out of date, when presented for application of TRP. It was a nightmare! And at one period it was thought lost.

If I had to do it again I would allow the use of normal post. I received a legalised birth certificate from same place, sent and returned by normal post from Moscow region. No problem!

To sum up I recommend normal post.

Qdos
20-08-2009, 13:14
To sum up I recommend normal post.

I've never received anything by normal post, not any one time, when it's been posted to me in Russia over all the years I've been temporarily here on an 'on and off basis...' everything was nicked, didn't matter what its value was, even ordinary correspondence was stolen... :bash:

I'd use a safe delivery method, especially considering the costs of first obtaining all the documentation and apostilles the OP has been through with the paperwork concerned... :)

tvadim133
20-08-2009, 14:11
Hi! there is DHL, UPS e.t.c. in Russia (Moscow). Just go to the site (the names + .ru

Delvery from UK takes 2-3 days. It is costy but safety. I use DHL and could track the envelope sent route.

They have some losts but it happened everywhere but %% is very low

Bels
20-08-2009, 14:23
Hi! there is DHL, UPS e.t.c. in Russia (Moscow). Just go to the site (the names + .ru

Delvery from UK takes 2-3 days. It is costy but safety. I use DHL and could track the envelope sent route.

They have some losts but it happened everywhere but %% is very low

That's the courier I was talking about. expensive and unreliable in my experience. With a lot of threats of claims we eventually got our lost document posted and returned. But not without a long wait and a heart attack.

Back to post , true I wouldn,t send cash by post, not even small hidden for childrens' birthday present as they will find it and nick it. But tax forms from UK for example are very reliably received. Normally I would think forms and documents are OK. But don't send your British passport for a driver's license for example, that will get nicked.

tvadim133
20-08-2009, 14:39
Now, I see. The problem is to send passport and cash is forbbiden by any post in Russia. That is a law.

DHL (I know for sure) checks all docs and parcels via X-ray (cash, powder e.t.c.) and takes them out of envelope in order not to break the law.

As for all other docs it is really OK to use the companies.

I had some probles with DHL but only when I received a parcel and it was because of customs clearance mainly.

Bels
20-08-2009, 15:01
Now, I see. The problem is to send passport and cash is forbbiden by any post in Russia. That is a law.

DHL (I know for sure) checks all docs and parcels via X-ray (cash, powder e.t.c.) and takes them out of envelope in order not to break the law.

As for all other docs it is really OK to use the companies.
I had some problems with DHL but only when I received a parcel and it was because of customs clearance mainly.

So its ok to pinch the money? Isn't that illegal in Russia?

Besides my problem was a claimed lost police record that was on its way to be legalised. It went all over the place in Eerope and returnd to Russia lost. Somehow in the end I got it back again. But not without a lot of heartache of fear on me losing out on TRP application and having to return to UK yet again to renew my visa and be separate from my family. If my wife hadn't caused havoc and threat to make a major claim I wouldn't have got my precious document back. They made a big mistake by changing it a lost claim to being so badly damaged it was unrecoverable. The didn't expect my wife to demand it back no matter what condition it was in. I got it back in the end and there was nothing wrong with the document.

Sorry, but I would go for normal post. Yes qdos agreed. there are sometimes problems with parcels, and they always have been ripped open and then wrapped back up with brown sticky tape.

tvadim133
20-08-2009, 15:12
Of course, to pinch money is illegal. As far I think, if the sender did something wrong (cash e.t.c.) they must call him/her and inform about the case and return money or passport back.

In case of drugs, they must call police and not just pinch and take themselves. :)

You know, nothing is perfect even such kind of companies.

My experience was more positive (from 12 shipments, there have been only one problem with customs clearance)!

mandelstam13
20-08-2009, 15:12
Off track -

When you get a police criminal record check legalized in the UK, the stamp from the FCO is on the back of page one of the document. However, the document is two pages long. Will public notaries translate and notarise page 2?

Thanks.

Qdos
20-08-2009, 15:18
The FCO charge for apostilling every page of a set of documents, if there's no apostille on every page then your documents won't be accepted in Russia.

Regards parcels being opened, in my experience, providing you use correct customs declarations, and attach document pouches with quadruple sets of pro-forma invoices in Russian then customs won't open packets (just as long as nothing suspicious flags up when packets undergo x-ray checks!)

mandelstam13
20-08-2009, 15:44
But a criminal record check is two or three pages long, including the letter...Are you saying they should stamp every page, or just the covering letter?

Qdos
20-08-2009, 15:55
But a criminal record check is two or three pages long, including the letter...Are you saying they should stamp every page, or just the covering letter?

Every page. Full stop. As I learned from bitter experience when I needed to get a divorce through ZAGS... :)

There should be an apostille certificate glued to the back of each page, indented with the FCO seal...

mandelstam13
20-08-2009, 16:13
Thanks.

Ah...They only stamped the letter. What should i do? Send it back to them telling them to stamp every page? Do you have to pay separately for each page? How does it work?

Thanks again for any help.

Qdos
20-08-2009, 16:27
I can't tell you, but can only speak from personal experience... and I had to have an apostille certificate on the back of every bound page before it proved acceptable to the Russian authorities... ;)

Viola
20-08-2009, 16:42
Every page. Full stop. As I learned from bitter experience when I needed to get a divorce through ZAGS... :)

There should be an apostille certificate glued to the back of each page, indented with the FCO seal...

I love Russian law. So if someone has a criminal sentence he will not be granted a divorce and will be kept married to Russian as a punishment. :boxing:

Qdos
20-08-2009, 17:18
I love Russian law. So if someone has a criminal sentence he will not be granted a divorce and will be kept married to Russian as a punishment. :boxing:

Err, very novel idea, but I didn't need to submit anything about a criminal record to get a divorce... just numerous UK documents proving that I was originally legally married to the [-]cow[/-] woman... :rofl:

Viola
20-08-2009, 17:53
Err, very novel idea, but I didn't need to submit anything about a criminal record to get a divorce... just numerous UK documents proving that I was originally legally married to the [-]cow[/-] woman... :rofl:
Oops, the thread is about police check, I've been misled :)

KLi
20-08-2009, 21:10
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I think I'll go for the special international delivery service, the link was good, and knowing it's reliable will save me from a heart attack too. I can't imagine anyone wanting to nick my police check!

One more question for those of you who've done it: it's already been sent off, but is the police check only one page, and do I only need one apostile? (fingers crossed anxiously here as imagining more time lost...)

mandelstam13
20-08-2009, 21:17
Well, it's one page plus the letter. Did you end the letter off to FCO? If so, they may just stamp the back of that, as they did with mine. Which then means, apparently, that the actual check has not been legalized...

KLi
20-08-2009, 21:50
I'll need to check - it's not me who's done it so don't know what came and was sent.
Did they do yours right?

KLi
20-08-2009, 21:52
Oops, just realised what you wrote, sorry.

What's in the letter with the police check, and does it need to be sent off and legalised too?

Bels
20-08-2009, 21:53
Well, it's one page plus the letter. Did you end the letter off to FCO? If so, they may just stamp the back of that, as they did with mine. Which then means, apparently, that the actual check has not been legalized...

HUH! Are you saying that a document from Scotland Yard and stamped by the ministry of Foreign Affairs as being legalised is not in fact legal ?

mandelstam13
20-08-2009, 21:58
I'm saying the check, which is on a separate page from the cover letter, has not been stamped. And therefore not legalized. No, they didn't do mine right. they stamped the letter. Maybe it was my fault for not just sending the check off?

Bels
21-08-2009, 14:12
I,m assuming you mean the Police criminal records check document. In British terminology being the Subject access form, In American at a guess being a criminal records check, the Australian, Canadian, etc I dont know.

So I suppose that's why we have decided to nick name them all police checks. it's easier. But check would be confusing, as we might take it as cheque for example :)

Check mate.