PDA

View Full Version : US visa for Russians - flight tickets needed?

mattology
18-08-2009, 21:01
Hi guys and girls

my Russian girlfriend wants to apply for a US visa. She already handed in the docs and has an interview next week.

She has regular income, family, etc. and her mother will apply for a visa as well on the same day. However, she is asking herself if she needs to purchase flight tickets and provide them during the interview at the embassy in Moscow?

The website of the embassy only states following docs to be provided:
* Evidence of employment. A letter from your employer can be useful.
* Evidence of income (and in some cases evidence of your spouse's income), such as earnings statements.
* Evidence of immediate family (spouse, children) in Russia.
* Evidence of ownership of property.
* Evidence of ongoing studies if applicant is still a student.
* Evidence of ongoing projects for those in entertainment fields.
* Your old passport bearing earlier visas and entry stamps.

Nothing said about tickets...

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks

Kdvm
19-08-2009, 07:33
I applied for US visa about 4 months ago. I didn't buy tickets and didn't book a hotel. I've got only a note from my employer, confirming my employment, position and salary, and a couple of old passports, full of European visas.

I work at large multinational company - probably the fact that I have a nice job here was enough for them to believe that I won't stay in the US illegally. So try to consider all factors - however there is no formal requirements to buy tickets or book hotels.

mattology
19-08-2009, 10:12
She does the same, works in a large international company and has family, friends etc. plus me and her hold a common household. In fact, she just got promoted. She wants to take her mom as well to visit some friends but the fact that they rejected her mom a couple of years ago made her think that she might need to purchase tix to really prove that they will come back. In fact she is planning to get the 2 year visa.

She only has 1 or 2 old Schengen visas though. So in any case I'll try to convince her to buy tickets only after receiving the visa...

Kartoshka
19-08-2009, 10:24
I don't have any experience, but it seems silly to buy tickets before receiving the visa, because what do you do if the visa is refused?

Does the mom have sound evidence that she will return to Russia? Your girlfriend has her job, your home, previous visas... what about her mom? It could be that they see your girlfriend as providing cover for her mom to permanently emigrate. I'm just hypothesising but it could be true. Rather than spending money on tickets that might not get used, I'd suggest gathering extra evidence for the mom to support the fact that she has good ties to Russia and will return.

mattology
19-08-2009, 10:37
Yes, she does: permanent job as head of her own department, her husband and her own a flat, and they have their two kids - my girlfriend and her sister. So, I don't really know why they refused the visa last time (it's been a few years). I can imagine that they didn't bring enough documentation.

Now, my girlfriend and her want to visit some friends in the US who are Russian too and have been living there for many years, but will fully cover expenses like accommodation etc.

I can't see why it won't work, but my gf is really into "we have to buy those tickets" - but of course she wants to buy refundable tickets - just in case, but they are a hell of a money and you pay a fee of minimum 100 EUR to refund them.

annasophia
19-08-2009, 10:47
I do have experience with sponsoring a US tourist visa for a Russian friend.

Your original list is spot on. This is exactly the information required for a visa application.

I also supplied a letter of sponsorship for the Russian friend stating that the friend would be residing in our home and we would take financial responsibility for the friend during the stay.

Visa issued without a hitch.

No documentation of a round trip plane ticket will be necessary. In fact it may be presumptuous? Because why would the visa applicant have a plane ticket for a country which requires a visa, and yet no visa in hand? Forget the airline ticket. Not an issue.

mattology
19-08-2009, 16:26
Thanks a lot for your answers.

So I guess I'll have to convince her then to just be honest and try it with all supporting documentation she can get - and in any case we can buy tickets later then.

BeachBum
19-08-2009, 21:04
Hi guys and girls

my Russian girlfriend wants to apply for a US visa. She already handed in the docs and has an interview next week.

She has regular income, family, etc. and her mother will apply for a visa as well on the same day. However, she is asking herself if she needs to purchase flight tickets and provide them during the interview at the embassy in Moscow?

The website of the embassy only states following docs to be provided:
* Evidence of employment. A letter from your employer can be useful.
* Evidence of income (and in some cases evidence of your spouse's income), such as earnings statements.
* Evidence of immediate family (spouse, children) in Russia.
* Evidence of ownership of property.
* Evidence of ongoing studies if applicant is still a student.
* Evidence of ongoing projects for those in entertainment fields.
* Your old passport bearing earlier visas and entry stamps.

Nothing said about tickets...

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks
I work at the US Embassy but not in Consular. You do not need to buy tickets. You list is sufficient. Remember. The consular officer assumes the person seeking the visa will not return to Russia. the applicant must supply sufficient information to convince the agent that he/she will return. It is that simple. Show them you have a job, car, house, money in bank, family, stable life, friends, and ties to your home country. Anything that substantiates those facts. But you dont have to buy tickets. Just a simple copy of a travel itinery and computer printout of ticket prices.

GaNozri
19-08-2009, 22:26
No one will sell you tickets to the US, unless you have a visa or green card. The US actually fines airlines for doing that.