PDA

View Full Version : Best cities to visit in Russia

Kurtman
17-08-2009, 14:23
If you had to pick a city (besides Moscow and St. Pete) to visit where would it be?

IGIT
17-08-2009, 14:51
None. :yellowcard:

Pobman
17-08-2009, 18:26
Kislovodsk ...

uugirl
17-08-2009, 18:47
Suzdal is lovely.
Vologda and Velikiy Ustyug- the native city of Ded Moroz (Russian Santa Claus) were great fun in December, but you should be properly dressed. i recall there was a special train going from Moscow to Vologda and then Velikiy Ustyug to celebrate the birth-day of Ded Moroz:-)
I also heard that Kazan is an interesting place to visit.

tvadim133
19-08-2009, 18:08
1. Moscow and Zolotoy Ring (come towns) *
2. St. Petersburg*
3. Yaroslavl*- 2 days
4. Kazan*- 2 days maximum
5. Nizny Novgorod*- 2 days maximum
6. Irkutsk ( not a city but Baikal Lake) ***
7. Veliky Novgorod and suburb (never do it in winter it is too boring)- 2 days maximum
8. may be Pskov-2 day
9. Solovki (in the summer only) ***- 3 days to visit main islands

*easy to organize yourself not via travel agency
*** better only via agency

AndreyS
19-08-2009, 19:55
None. :yellowcard:
Go home.

trebor
20-08-2009, 05:01
The cities of the 'Golden Ring' are worth a visit, especially as they are close to Moscow. Russia is a big place!

The problem with Russian cities is that they have suffered because of 'Central Planning' Most have little in the way of history, unique architecture (they all look the same) and they are a hell of a long way from anywhere.

Places that stand out, in my opinion are:
Murmansk. The largest city in the world above the artic circle and relatively near to Moscow and St. Pete's therefore making it quite an accessable adventure
Sochi. The nearest thing you'll find to the Mediterranean in Russia.
Vladivostok. A cosmopolitan port city but a long way away.
Khabarovsk . A pretty city on the Amure river, but like Vlad. a long way away. Central planning can work!
Kazan. For the Kremil.
Irkutsk. For the lake.

Enjoy your travels.

robertmf
20-08-2009, 05:46
The cities of the 'Golden Ring' are worth a visit, especially as they are close to Moscow. Russia is a big place!

The problem with Russian cities is that they have suffered because of 'Central Planning' Most have little in the way of history, unique architecture (they all look the same) and they are a hell of a long way from anywhere.

Places that stand out, in my opinion are:
Murmansk. The largest city in the world above the artic circle and relatively near to Moscow and St. Pete's therefore making it quite an accessable adventure
Sochi. The nearest thing you'll find to the Mediterranean in Russia.
Vladivostok. A cosmopolitan port city but a long way away.
Khabarovsk . A pretty city on the Amure river, but like Vlad. a long way away. Central planning can work!
Kazan. For the Kremil.
Irkutsk. For the lake.

Enjoy your travels.

I'd go with Irkutsk/Baikal as #1 Maybe Novosibirsk/Akademgorodok area as #2.

... and Kharbarovsk ... a bit of a different "Russian" experience with flavour far far removed from central-planning-Moscow; what with the wooden sidewalks and ?houses? Better than izba. More like USA frontier log cabins. Lots of vodka flowing. I mean LOTS.

Kraven Morehead
20-08-2009, 06:32
Volgograd if you are WW2 history buff.

Barnaul if you are planning to visit the mountains.

Grozny or any town in Dagestan if you want some REAL excitement in your life

SV1973a
20-08-2009, 09:10
I was on a business trip to the Far-East.
I liked Vladivostok a lot. I was there in the beginning of September, and locals told me that that is the best period of the year. A great place to swim in the Ocean.
From Vladivostok I took the night train to Habarovsk. It is nice to see, but there is not much to do.
Also, while you are there, the Chinese border is not so far away.
Local Russians can get in without a visa (or get one at the border), but as a foreigner, you probably need to obtain this in advance.
On a trip to Southern-Russia I combined Krasnodar, Rostov-na-Donu and Sochi. All very nice, and lots of interesting things to see.
Especially around Sochi, there are many `excursions` to lovely places.
Many excursions go to Abchazia. I was there two weeks before the war broke out. I too wanted to visit Abchazia, but was not sure about the status. `Technically` it was Georgia (visa free for Europeans), but in reality it was an independent country already. Russians can travel visa free to Abchazia. Everybody told me I could too, but I decided not to risk it.

Kurtman
20-08-2009, 12:53
Speaking about Dagestan being "real exciting" I saw on the internet that the city of Derbent could actually be interesting to visit (old city, with old city wall). On the other hand too many shootings and bombings down there for me to risk a trip :-((

GaNozri
20-08-2009, 13:14
Not quite Russia. Yet. Abkhazia - Gagra, Pizunda, Novy Afon, and for some real Cicilian experience - Gudauta.

RIKO
20-08-2009, 13:19
9. Solovki (in the summer only) ***- 3 days to visit main islands

*easy to organize yourself not via travel agency
*** better only via agency

Any recommendations on a good agency for Solovki ?

tvadim133
20-08-2009, 13:56
I was there via BTI agency (corporate) but they cooperated with OOO Solovky Tour (their address in the net is solovky.com (of course you should place "www" before the mentioned above address).

On the island there is one 5* (I would say 4*) hotel which is very comfortable and old russian style "Green Village" (Zelenaya Derevnya).

I will recommend to stay here (3 minutes of walking to the Castle-Monastery Solovki.

The agency offers to go to the Island by ships but there is a small airport with local flights from Arkhangelsk, I had a 45 minutes of flight.

Solovki has very thrilling history. It is not the place for enternaining but for very deep emotional contact with history, russian religion, northen russina nature and unfortunately, human being fates (on Solovky there was built a prison in the beginning of Communist governing).

Alistair
20-08-2009, 17:52
Ryazan is usually missed by the guide books, but is quite close to Moscow and very nice. Also, it's not expensive.

Luibov Matveyeva
20-08-2009, 18:21
I would (and already) visited Vladimir - an ancient capital of old Russia.
Located only 3 hours from Moscow, it has beautiful places to see - cathedrals, gardens and museums. I loved being there!

pjw
13-09-2009, 03:35
I'm wondering about Vladimir Liubov. It must be touristy especially in Summer. Less people in Winter? Maybe it's nicer then under a thick soft white blanket of fresh snow. Did the place have a natural good feeling for you personally or was it just pretty and historical and a cultural museum type of place? Or did the place really feel good to be in and special?

Chewing Gum
13-09-2009, 10:44
it really depends on yourself

if you are used to european historical cities then you will find the russian cities dirty, almost ruin-like, monuments and architectural heritage neglected and not taken care off

if you really enjoy russia, maybe speak some russian, and can appreciate the better part of russian psychology, then any russian region capital will have its charm, be it volgograd, kazan, vladimir, yaroslav, nizhni novgorod,etc...

i personally like the volga region both south and north. especially with a car travel; crossing the real russia, and having some mushrooms, and fruits on the way.. there is nice stuff to see anywhere.

oh, add to that : Veliki Novgorod and Kostroma ;)

Luibov Matveyeva
13-09-2009, 12:43
it really depends on yourself

if you are used to european historical cities then you will find the russian cities dirty, almost ruin-like, monuments and architectural heritage neglected and not taken care off

if you really enjoy russia, maybe speak some russian, and can appreciate the better part of russian psychology, then any russian region capital will have its charm, be it volgograd, kazan, vladimir, yaroslav, nizhni novgorod,etc...

i personally like the volga region both south and north. especially with a car travel; crossing the real russia, and having some mushrooms, and fruits on the way.. there is nice stuff to see anywhere.

I totally agree. there is nothing "european" about it, but still, I find it charming and captivating. also if you have little more time, go to Suzdal, just an hour drive from Vladimir - there you'll find all you read about "ancient Russia". Hope you'll enjoy your trip! And if you'll have a russian tour guide, you'll enjoy it even more! :-)

Qdos
13-09-2009, 13:25
Some excellent recommendations, but I'm going to add one to avoid :)

Naberezhnye Chelny. Because there's nothing to see barring concrete and there are virtually no tourist facilities whatsoever. A handful of Soviet era statues and obelisks litter the city, but the drains smell (especially in the summer) and if you really want to see the Kama river you'd be far better to go further along it to Perm before stopping.

Kazan may also appeal to some tastes, however many of Tatarstans cities are predominantly dirty.

Katenok
13-09-2009, 14:25
Kazan, Vladimir, Ryazan (and Meshora). :)
And St. Petersburg (I have never been there).

tvadim133
13-09-2009, 14:46
Some excellent recommendations, but I'm going to add one to avoid :)

Naberezhnye Chelny. Because there's nothing to see barring concrete and there are virtually no tourist facilities whatsoever. A handful of Soviet era statues and obelisks litter the city, but the drains smell (especially in the summer) and if you really want to see the Kama river you'd be far better to go further along it to Perm before stopping.

Kazan may also appeal to some tastes, however many of Tatarstans cities are predominantly dirty.

Speaking of Naberezhnye Chelny, I would totaly agree.... I have been there and found it like the majority of industrial "zones" (cities): Lipetsk, Voronezh...

lNl
13-09-2009, 22:21
Petrozavodsk is also a very nice city (from there excursions to waterfall Kivach, to islands Kizhi and Valaam can be organized).

lubamal
27-09-2009, 23:28
Have you ever been in Borovs? It is only 100 km from Moscow. Old city with its mood.

Darya Alexandrovna
01-10-2009, 15:51
Vladivostok. By all means. Sea, islands, down town, people, sea food and oriental hins. And hidden cultural life that can be opened to you by some friends. Very intersting. If you have a chance to visit - I can provide some contacts to make your trip enjoying.

Darya Alexandrovna
01-10-2009, 15:54
Vladivostok. By all means. Sea, islands, down town, people, sea food and oriental hins. And hidden cultural life that can be opened to you by some friends. Very intersting. If you have a chance to visit - I can provide some contacts to make your trip enjoying.

yuuki
01-10-2009, 19:29
It is funny that Vladimir is missing from all the posts. When I first saw the Vladimir Cathedral I realised that there are some essential things in Russia which are more consistent than Moscow Kremlin's churches. Vladimir's people also are quite different from Moscovites. Some have really iconic faces.
Ryazan', yes it is good to see Ryazan' too as it was first on the way of Chingiz-Khan's invasion. As a matter of fact Ryazan' had been burnt down to ashes nine times by tartar-mongol invaders and each time it had been built on a new site. It could be funny to explore the contemporary map of Ryazan'. All construction work was log wood cut by axe in those times so it was easy to tell a Ryazan citizen (as an eternal builder) by an axe at his belt (which was mor often than not a piece of line across the belly skewed to one side under the weight of the axe, hence the name "skew-bellied Ryazan' (kosopuzaya Ryazan')" which I'd rather see in a honorific prospective)
Have great travels,
Yuuki

katya_0699
02-10-2009, 20:12
I would second Pskov and neighbooring Pushkin Gory, home to three 19 century estates associated with Pushkin. This is the Russian landscape at its best, whatever season you visit. It takes an overnight train/bus to get there from Moscow.

Daisy
12-11-2009, 13:42
I recently went on a short tour to Kargopol in the north. The surrounding area has many old wooden churches and a national park in what you might call a lake district. It was wonderful to walk through the snowy woods in the gentle winter-evening light and look at the quiet surfaces of the lakes. These days nothing is more precious than the beauty of nature. It was a wonderful trip and I would recommend it.

Irishka83
14-11-2009, 20:16
Tula and Yasnaya polyana (Tolstoy's mansion) are very nice, especially in summer

alex13
05-12-2009, 01:12
I've never been to Suzdal, but heard it's beautiful, especially if you want to get a feeling of 19th century Russia. Jaroslavl' is beautiful, I liked Kostroma a lot too. And it's only a one hour train trip from Jaroslavl'

Larry Paradine
06-12-2009, 21:45
I've only been to Suzdal once, in the summer of 1998, so much may have changed since then, but it was then, and almost certainly still is, very beautiful; and it was not then, and almost certainly still is not, a city: basically a village with a thriving tourist industry and prices to match (my then girl friend, now my wife, was outraged at the price charged for two cups of instant coffee: "почти один доллар! один доллар!" she complained). The village is a living entity existing cheek by jowl with an open air museum consisting of venerable churches from the time when Suzdal and Vladimir were the joint capitals of ancient Rus (after the Mongol -Tatars had destroyed Kievan Rus) and traditional wooden buildings that need to be constantly maintained and fequently renovated to withstand the wear and tear caused by the tramping of thousands of tourists' feet. The little bus station had (I hope no longer has) the filthiest pay toilets I've come across anywhere.

lotuselise
03-03-2010, 22:58
You should definitely visit Northern Caucasus: Pyatigorsk, Kislovodsk, Dombai, Prielbrusye! It's beautiful here!

Kraven Morehead
03-03-2010, 23:20
Go home.

Go home, is that Russian for F*** off?

tvadim133
03-03-2010, 23:53
It was just a joke, as far as remember.

lochnessmonster
04-03-2010, 00:11
there are many `excursions` to lovely places.
Many excursions go to Abchazia. I was there two weeks before the war broke out....I too wanted to visit Abchazia...but I decided not to risk it.

:9456::9456::9456:

lochnessmonster
04-03-2010, 00:15
How about Ekaterinburg? If anything it has an important place in Russian history, and is a short trip from Moscow or on the Trans-Siberian, on the cusp of Europe and Asia.

andymackem
04-03-2010, 15:48
Personal favourites - anywhere around Baikal, for really beautiful, largely unspoilt nature. I had a blissful four-day stop in Severobaikalsk in 2005.

Krasnoyarsk - didn't expect much, but in summer the riverfront area is lively and the Stolby park is a good place to walk. Not a lot by way of urban sights (apart from the chapel on your 10-rouble note), but I'm told the museum is also very good (I was there on a Monday and it was closed)

Yekaterinburg - definitely worth a weekend break. Lots of museums, a nicely designed city centre, and the Ganina Yama monastery complex, on the site where the Tsar's family was buried, is like a modern invention of what Russia 'ought' to look like. It's all onion domes and silver birch, was only missing the snow when we were there (it was June).

Suzdal - probably the prettiest of the Golden Ring towns, and the most tourist orientated. Which is, of course, both good and bad. It can be crowded, pricey and a bit soulless, but if you're only going to see one I'd say it was a safe bet.

Kazan - interesting place, and made a couple of friends while I was there, but it's only got enough for a couple of days, unless you can get a boat-ride out to Svyazh Island.

Other trips I've made include Murmansk (good food, nice place to say you've been to, but it felt better telling people about the trip afterwards rather than being there at the time) and Petrozavodsk (great for trips on to Kizhi etc, but didn't thrill me itself).

I'm in line for a trip to Novosibirsk at some point (girlfriend's family), and want to see Pskov and Novgorod Veliky. Would be tempted by Vologda, and don't know the south or the Far East at all. Still lots to see :))

FatAndy
04-03-2010, 17:28
in line for a trip to Novosibirsk at some point (girlfriend's family), - nice although mostly industrial and administrative city, nice people, super girlzzz! Biggest opera theatre at continent, but almost no old buildings (exploision grow of Nsk has started at WW2 because of military plants were evacuated there). If your trip will be at summer, maybe some time spent at "Obskoe more" will be worthy too.

Don't forget about home made Siberian pelmeni with Russian mustard, local marenaded mushrooms and "Sibirskaya" vodka (it is not 40% of spirit by volume, as usual, but 45%).

WhiteLight
04-03-2010, 19:09
Kostroma. Lots of Russian history, Volga, good catering, rich cultural life. It is much cheaper to rent a flat via web than put up at a hotel. Warning: I went there for a week in late April three years ago, and the city will forever stay in my memory as (among other things) clouds-of-dust record breaker. Every day when I came back from otherwise enjoyable, enlightening and entertaining walking tours, I had to clean my clothes thoroughly. I cannot say whether the dust is a perennial or seasonal problem. The weather was fine - no rain!

tvadim133
05-03-2010, 01:28
and want to see Pskov and Novgorod Veliky. Would be tempted by Vologda, and don't know the south or the Far East at all. Still lots to see :))

Do it in spring, in summer (Pskov and Veliky Novgorod).

I was there in February and it was different (more negative impressions then positive).

Veliky Novgorod is outstanding (1-2 days are more then enough, including visiting 1-2 old monasteries around (10-15 going by taxi) and wooden village (like in Suzdal).

Pskov is great (no so much as Veliky Novgorod), but there is a marvelouse museum in ex-palace of one of the boyarins in Pskov (aristocracy title of the 15-17th century) + the most important thing is a Lavra (the well known monastery which is about 40 km from Pskov, connected with the 16 th century history (Ivan the terrible) and not only.

We were lucky to visit thombs of saint people and it will be always in my memory though I can not say, I am a religious guy.

2 days are enough.

You can find the way from V.Novgorod and Pskov easy (we used a bus).

Hotels there are not quite good too my mind, so not save money in 3*, stay in 4* and 5*, especialy in Pskov.

If you need their names, let me know (PM).

tasel
05-03-2010, 10:18
Also Volgograd to be added to the list.

Irina909
03-08-2010, 22:41
I love St. Petersburg and everyone has to go their once. I am Russian from Moscow. But I want to say we went to Kislovodsk two years ago and had a great time. We stayed at the Lux, very nice. And the town was very safe and I really like that the center of the old area (where the flower beds are) does not have cars allowed. So there are many places including along the river to walk where there are no cars. And I recommend taking the lift (like a ski lift) to the top of the rim and seeing the big view. We like Kislovodsk very much. Of course, the mineral waters we visited and drank twice a day! Irina

Irina909
03-08-2010, 22:44
I forgot to say that the Castle of Love is nice, but we found that it is not the same one from the early 19th century, but is rebuilt. It is still amazing how many buildings including the building with the mineral water, are still there from early 1900s. The restaurant in the hotel in the central area was the best. We didn't stay there but ate there most times. We also took drive to Ring Rock. And we took several bus tours, but I would recommend the shorter ones. It is a long day on some bus tours.

alouette
03-08-2010, 23:02
St Pete's!!!!

Gypsy
03-08-2010, 23:03
If you had to pick a city (besides Moscow and St. Pete) to visit where would it be?

I like Ufa. A very different feel.

ReallyGreatConcerts
03-08-2010, 23:04
. The little bus station had (I hope no longer has) the filthiest pay toilets I've come across anywhere.

Still has, and they haven't been cleaned since you posted your message in 2009, either :((

Not a "city" - I would go to Chemal, the "last inhabited point" (ie there is electricity and a sub-post-office) along the River Katun in the Altai Mountains.

From there you can go upriver to start a rafting trip (from 1-3 days) or you can strike off up into the mountains to pick up some horses and ride in the High Altai for a few days. Don't be put-off by the snobby atmosphere "horse-riding" has abroad... in the Altai you ride a horse if you cannot afford a Niva 4WD.

Roerich travelled widely in Altai, and he believed it was the gateway to Shambala. Altaic myth says that the entranceway to the mythical kingdom of Belovodia is in the mountains there. The gateway opens once every 33 years, and 34 people are able to go through - but the 34th has to go back, and wait until next time... it's his duty to show it to 33 others.

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/24507683.jpg

MickeyTong
04-08-2010, 01:45
.....I can't afford a Niva 4WD.......:shame:

ReallyGreatConcerts
04-08-2010, 01:56
.....I can't afford a Niva 4WD.......:shame:

The horse is the vehicle for you, Mr Tong - it's like a motorbike with a brain of its own that can climb steep slopes :)

Gypsy
04-08-2010, 10:18
The horse is the vehicle for you, Mr Tong - it's like a motorbike with a brain of its own that can climb steep slopes :)

Hateful creatures. They are really space aliens sent here to ingratiate themselves with rich people via their daughters usually, before they receive the signal from Home Planet to take over the Earth.

I'm going to lie down now.

ds2875
12-01-2011, 21:30
Unbelievable with all the snow, northern lights, and shortened days. Definitely worth the harrowing train journey. Plus just a quick jaunt from Finland.

Musician
12-01-2011, 21:43
Very nice historical places are Vladimir, Murom. Murom is small,
very old, full of churches, you'l feel as if you are somewhere in the past.

robertmf
12-01-2011, 22:26
Also Volgograd to be added to the list.

Volgograd just after :10806: Irkutsk :)

PermHopeful
19-01-2011, 20:46
I noticed only one person mentioned Perm. I've read some things on the city and it seemed to offer a lot of culture (opera) and history, but am I mistaken?

Sacha
26-01-2011, 11:57
Vladimir and Yaroslavl

Matroshkin
28-01-2011, 22:21
Here's some information on Perm.

http://www.gorodperm.ru/en/perm/recognizable-perm/

Verdana
28-01-2011, 22:48
my girl advices Kolomna.. idon't know why at all.. she says nice, small and cute inhabitants )))

CatTV
28-01-2011, 22:59

On the way to Yaroslavl you may visit Sergiev-Pasad. It's beautiful. But on weekends too many people. Yaroslavl, Vladimir, Rostov. Beatiful architecture.

Daniel
29-01-2011, 10:17
Of course, I don't say about Moscow and Saint-Petersburg!!!It is obvious that need to visit those cities...but I would advice also Smolensk!It is Russian historical city.

Tutorry
28-02-2011, 20:50
I recommend Yaroslavl, Vladimir and Murom. Ancient cities with very beautiful architecture.

I would also visit Karelia (although it's not a city) - very beautiful nature, go boating :)

And - Kazan. A gorgeous city. Different from most of cities that were mentioned above. First of all, because Kazan was founded by non-Slavs and has a long history (as I remember it is even longer than history of Moscow). And at the same time the city has been a part of Russian state during a long time. Glance at one of multinational faces of Russia :)

Maria Sorokina
17-03-2011, 13:31
I'm also for Suzdal. It gives a very condensed feeling of old Russia.
Vladimir is located next to Suzdal and its historic center is worth seeing too.

Another city I'd visit is Kostroma. It has quite a large old town that hasn't been rebuilt. The city is on Volga river and really pretty.

zhgolden
17-03-2011, 20:46
I really want to visit Novgorod, I hear it's beautiful

Blanche Neige
17-04-2011, 21:59
7. Veliky Novgorod and suburb (never do it in winter it is too boring)- 2 days maximum

can't agree that 2 days will be enough to visit this beautiful city. there are too many places which are worth visiting, all of the them are of early Middle Age. Unfortunately there is a lack of info about such places in guidebooks.
Winter is not the best time for trips to any Russian city I think. :)
Two years ago Velikiy Novgorod held the XXth Hanseatic Days of Modern Time.

PrivateTram
03-07-2011, 02:13
Kaliningrad is kind of Russia-lite. Which, of course, is completely absurd. You can only believe in Russia; unfortunately, you can only sorta believe Kaliningrad. Nonetheless, I like it. Cool German-era architecture.

simply1
04-07-2011, 22:35
from what i observed and experienced... St.Petersburg is the best among the Russian cities! Polite and friendly people, cleanliness and safety especially for the foreigners. Visiting St.Petersburg is a great oppurtunity to explore the beauty of Russia.

Marie Octobre
04-07-2011, 22:42
I want to go to Плёс. It's a small town on the Volga river where the Russian artist Levitan lived and painted.

The links are in Russian

http://proturi.ru/people/user/2/blog/49/
http://proturi.ru/people/user/2/blog/50/

JuliaL
25-07-2011, 11:16
Yes, St-Pet is the most beautiful russian city.
But everything depends on what kind of rest you prefer and what you would like to see. Russian cities are quite different.
1. St-Pet or Kaliningrad look like a europien cities.
2. Kostroma, Yaroslavl, Vladimir, Suzdal, Valdai, etc. are very old russian cities with impressive architecture and lots of interesting places and events (like trade fairs, round dances in folk costumes, cucumber festival in Suzdal, for example).
3. Such cities as Kazan, Ufa are also very interesting places. Because there is a mixture of old russian traditions, architecture with easten, it looks great! But please be informed that all travelling, hotels, tickets to museums, etc are more expensive for foreigners than for russians.
4. I also can advice Volgograd - with an outstanding monument "Родина мать". You can find its photo in internet.
5. Its rather interesting to visit Black sea (Sochi, Novorossiysk, Tyanse, Anapa, Gelendjik). But russian sea coast isnt very clean... with crowds of people and not very good service! It would be amazing to visit Abhazia. Dont be afraid to go there. Its very beautifull country with old traditions, hospitable people and wonderful nature! (that absolutely cant be compared to russian Sochi or Anapa, its surprising because these cities are only about 50-100 km from each other).
Have a nice holliday!

BritishTeacher
25-07-2011, 15:27
Khatanga

Mikko
15-08-2011, 19:12
Does anyone recommend any place in the Caucasus? I was thinking to go down there for a week, maybe stay in a town and do a day hike, see the mountains etc. Either that or up north to Karelia, though I also don't know specific towns there.

FatAndy
16-08-2011, 09:46
Veliky Novgorod... is very nice place ;)

blurros
27-10-2011, 03:31
Moscow and St Petersburg

Statkevich
08-11-2011, 17:49
Siberia impressed me very much: Novosibirsk and Krasnoyark are the cities worth to visit:)

L'oiseau bleu
08-11-2011, 17:55
Any recommendations on a good agency for Solovki ?

KGB?
:)

Alex.R
08-11-2011, 18:40
bloody great fishing there in the summer but it gets hot +49 this year so it was warm lol, but glad the snow comeing now love the snow

Taras
09-03-2012, 18:48
Vyborg the BEST small city to visit. Near finnish border in Leningrad area. :applause:

BabyFirefly
09-03-2012, 18:52
I LOVED Kazan.

fiercevic
28-05-2012, 06:08
Sorry it's off topic, but I am a newbie and cannot start my own thread yet.
Can someone recommend a good Bed and Breakfast in Lipetsk? I was looking at the hotel prices there and they are all over USD 100 for some old and run down rooms. Please help. I need to stay for 2 weeks and am not ready to spend $3,000 on a room I won't be happy with.

Beeghy
28-05-2012, 08:34
I have a Russian friend who says that one of the most impressive cities he has been to is Ostashkov because it has lots of old buildings and hasn't been spoiled by renovation. The same applies to Torzhok which has a wonderful monastery.

Suuryaa
29-07-2012, 11:36
Divya Loka :hooray:

Magdalina
31-07-2012, 16:38
I recomend Velikij Novgorod. Interesting city.

HUNO
24-09-2012, 22:51
Nijnekampsk... paradize on earth!!)))