PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Moscow??

pablo
15-08-2009, 11:47
Hi,
I am Paul and looks like Moscow is going to have to put up with me for the next 18months?? moving mid Sept working near Tsvetnoi Bulvar metro (hope that is the right one) coming on my own for first 3 months (girlfiend joing after crimbo) ideas please were best to stay/flatshare etc within reasonable distance.

Mud
15-08-2009, 22:58
Hello pablo / Paul and welcome to the Expat.ru forums!

You may wish to visit our Real Estate forum:

Real Estate - The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/real-estate/)

I wish you a good stay! Moscow will put up with you! Come out and join us sometime when you wish to meet some English speakers:

Local Events - The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/local-events/)

I hope that you find a lot of helpful info, join some interesting discussions and meet a lot of nice people on this site!

All the best!
Mud :o

Zyablik
17-08-2009, 11:31
Hello Paul! Welcome to Russia! :)
Good luck to you !

pablo
17-08-2009, 12:07
Thanks Mud and Zyablik have checked the real estate and might take some advice as my better half here speaks decent russian so may be i will bring her out for weekend and negotiate an appt? She can not come until January as on a contract so 3 months on own.
Will definately come and say hi when i arrive just waiting for dates etc to be confirmed.
Always difficult when you do not know which are the better areas to live but i gather i will probably be best north of the metro stop i need for work?
Thanks anyway and any more tips greatfully recieved.

phawley
17-08-2009, 18:12
THe Mrs and I moved over a few weeks ago and had to look at a few flats before we settled on one. Are you getting the flat paid for by a company? Or paying yourself? Do you have a budget?

tvadim133
19-08-2009, 19:34
Hi, Pablo!

The part of Moscow next to Tsvetnoy Bulvar is quite expensive from the point of view of cost for an appartment: from 1500 USD per month (usual moscow condition for one room appartment (just one room). May be becomes less becuase of "crisis".

Be prepared that in Russia we operate by "one room appartment" and it means in the flat there is one room, a kitchen and a bath room (no bed room, but a living room e.t.c.), the same with 2 rooms appartment (one bed room, a living room e.t.c.).

By usual condition, there can be unpleasant things (old fashioned furniture e.t.c.), so fully equipped appartment with modern furniture, modern wallpaper, consierge, in the centre e.t.c. will be cost 2 times more.... but....:

1. Metro station is convinient transport way to reach you office quickly, so othere is no need to rent very close to Tsvetnoy Bulvar. My advice is to rent a flat 3-4 stops to the north from this train station to the north or 5 stops t the south (more preferable) if you will not use a car.
2. Safety in neibourhood sometines (depend upon the part of Moscow) is better then in the centre, though I would say It is as safety in Moscow as in London or NY.
3. Be prepare that you should pay in advance:
a. 2 months rent for the owner of the appartment (the 2d is for a case, if you leave the owner without paying for the last month of renting or you distroy something (insurance) very negotiable) and one month rent for the service of the agency*;
b. * my recommendation to use agency to rent a flat (there can be deceiver or rascally if you rent a flat directly from "the owner" of the flat if you are not able to check his/her documents in Russian + the agency will prepare the contract more correctly;
c. there are huge quantity of the agencies, never use those which ask money before you sighn a contract (for example to pay for the list of appartment to be seen).
e. Pay attention to the "atmosphere in the house":

clean? beer cans in the entrance? windows of other flats in the house (plastic windows: means, people are well leaving, not bull sh...), cars next to the house (expensive or not).

It is worth looking at the flat in the evening when you can see how the house "lives" when the majority of neibours are at home.

All these things are needed by you if you are going to rent it youself and within 1000 -1 500 USD per month.

In case your company will do it for you and pay, do not even think of such kind of things.

Bels
19-08-2009, 23:38
Hi,
I am Paul and looks like Moscow is going to have to put up with me for the next 18months?? moving mid Sept working near Tsvetnoi Bulvar metro (hope that is the right one) coming on my own for first 3 months (girlfiend joing after crimbo) ideas please were best to stay/flatshare etc within reasonable distance.

What are your plans? Do you have a job? How has your employer guided you. If not, what have you planned? There must be have been something constructive for you to come here in the first place.

What is your reason to come here, is it simply an adventure, I don't think so somehow, as your girlfriend is following you later. I think we need to give more info here before you will get the input here you want here. Perhaps you have business dealings here, or you have a job contract. There is no need to give details but let us be fair, your post is a bit vague if you expect a lot of posts back to you.