PDA

View Full Version : Horrible omission (about London)

Valentinovna
30-11-2004, 16:39
How could everyone have forgotten to recommend that Bastion of excellence the chocolate hobnob, or real digestive biscuits, or chocolate olivers, or proper custard, or roast dinners...?

Am a little home-sick, please understand.

English food can be fantastic, if I am cooking it for example.

(was meant to be a thread, but hit wrong button)

kniga
30-11-2004, 16:42
Valentinovna,

You should meet DPG, a fellow Brit who is one of the best cooks on the expat site. Maybe you could, ah, cook something up together! :-)

Sidney Bliss
30-11-2004, 16:43
Originally posted by Valentinovna
that Bastion of excellence ..... digestive biscuits

Am a little home-sick, please understand.

For where? Peckham?

Valentinovna
30-11-2004, 16:45
Have been 6 months in russia and yet to eat a decent meal, let alone a british one. Whereever I go, the good chef always seems to be away.

But presumably someone out there has tastebuds?

Idiot Amin
30-11-2004, 16:46
For what purpose would anyone recommend any of the above? Shouldn't this thread be in the PETS section - no, wait, feeding British cuisine to an animal constitutes the most abject form of cruelty to animals and is forbidden according to Russian law. In fact, the RSPCA puts out warning leaflets regarding feeding any of the above dishes to pets.

Besides, doesn't British cuisine consist of lamb vindaloo, chicken tikka masala, and curry these days? :)!

Random
30-11-2004, 16:46
Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
For where? Peckham?

Nah !!! Luton Airport ....

Random
30-11-2004, 16:49
Have been 6 months in russia and yet to eat a decent meal, let alone a british one. Whereever I go, the good chef always seems to be away.

Call John Warren at www.sausage.ru - get your self some snags from the man ....spuds can be found almost anywhere ...chop up an onion make yerself a bit o gravy ....et voila Bangers and mash with onion gravy ... cudn't be finer on these winter nights ..only chef required is yourself !

pengwn9
30-11-2004, 16:51

That's some strong language. Off your feed today?

There are plenty of tasty places to eat in Moscow. And cheap ones too that probably don't have a "chef". Just an underpaid Uzbek in the kitchen.

You should get out more often.

Smurfette
30-11-2004, 16:52
do you know what, I've just had some mini chocolate hobnobs with my lunch..... :D

I'll see if I can get Ksh to take you some back!

DPG
30-11-2004, 16:58
Peng:

While I agree with you, I can say with certainty that when you are missing merry olde England and roast beef with all the trimmings, good soups, steamed puddings with custard, bangers and mash, incredible bacon etc etc (could go on all night...), a bowl of plov or some shashlik at your local hole in the wall pivniy zal doesn't come anywhere near providing you with what you need most!!

Valentinovna - Will happily swap recipies any time - most (not all) British products can be found/substituted here with a little work/imagination allowing pretty good rendering of your favourite dishes!!

Kniga - Thanks for the accolade!!

360KiloStripedKitty
30-11-2004, 17:02
Originally posted by Random
Call John Warren at www.sausage.ru - get your self some snags from the man

Yes - I second this recommendation! By the way, is anyone interested in a very hot sausage? I don't have the freezer space to order more than KGS 2 at one time, and I'm not sure he'll do a special recipe for so little, but for a bigger order, I know he is willing to do a super hot.

DPG
30-11-2004, 17:02
I third it - will be calling him next week for some more!!

Going to be cheeky and ask if he can make me up a few really spicy ones that I could use in a cassoulet i've been planning to make for a while now...

DPG
30-11-2004, 17:09
Kitty - You edited your post after reading mine didn't you!!?

I would like some spicy ones definitely...I also have a small freezer though! What would be the order amount to get the heat we needed??

360KiloStripedKitty
30-11-2004, 17:10
When do you want to order? We posted/edited simultaneously! I asked John about KGS 5 or 10 - how much do you need - if he requires 5 I can probably make up whatever the difference is between that and what you order - and given the distance between our dwellings, it will work out perfectly.

littlejohn
30-11-2004, 17:11
Valentinovna, as a Brit I often go to William Bass and have the carvery: Yorkshire puddings, roast beef, gravey, roast pork, Lamb, all the veg and sauces - not too expensive either.

crom
30-11-2004, 17:12
Originally posted by 360KiloStripedKitty
Yes - ........I don't have the freezer space to order more than KGS 2 at one time....

buy all you want, and hang them out the window.. you know when in rome.......

DPG
30-11-2004, 17:14
Kitty - I guess 2 kgs would be more than enough for me...I'm waiting to get paid at the start of next week, but after that would be more than happy to get the order in!!

Littlejohn - Tell us more about this carvery - When is it available, how much etc...sounds great!!

360KiloStripedKitty
30-11-2004, 17:17
Next week would be fine - and if he needs 5 I will have space for 3 by then.

DPG
30-11-2004, 17:19
Done deal!!

Will get in touch after payday!!

Will send you a paper aeroplane with the cash - Is it your window with the huge Russian flag covering it or are you on the next floor!!;)

360KiloStripedKitty
30-11-2004, 17:28
Yes - that is my window with the Russian flag - paper airplane should reach my balcony with no problem!

DPG
30-11-2004, 17:29
:):)

kniga
30-11-2004, 18:51
DPG,

Glad to help, lad!

By the way, you can put me in for some of John's really hot sausage -- happy to take whatever part of the order that is not spoken for.

360KiloStripedKitty
30-11-2004, 18:55
How much do you want? He is willing - so far between DPG and I we have 5 kgs - John will surely add on to it as desired.

kniga
30-11-2004, 19:33
Kitty,

I'll happily take a kilo; just let me know how much it costs and when and where I can get my add-on order.

boscoe
30-11-2004, 20:11
Originally posted by kniga
You should meet DPG, a fellow Brit who is one of the best cooks on the expat site.

well maybe he'll cook you your thanks giving dinner next year! *sulking*

;)

pengwn9
30-11-2004, 20:45
Originally posted by DPG
Peng:

While I agree with you, I can say with certainty that when you are missing merry olde England and roast beef with all the trimmings, good soups, steamed puddings with custard, bangers and mash, incredible bacon etc etc (could go on all night...),

Aaarrgghhh, you can't really mean that?? Bangers and Mash? You mean sausage and potatoes? :snoring:

Behold the beauty of American cuisine and bow. Cheesy cheese enchiladas with ranchero chili sauce. Steamed pudding?! How about deep dish cherry pie instead? Incredible bacon? Scoff, scoff.
Cured smoked Virginia ham with glaze. You too must get out more often. No one in their right minds in America would eat that weird fermented yeast stuff on bread when they could have peanut butter and jelly on soft whole wheat.

It's a wonder you people have survived to modern times eating such drek. Maybe that's why you keep noticing those dark circles under your eyes.....not enough fried chicken or stuffed crust pizza and waaaay too much of that banger shepards pie stuff. It just can't be a good thing.

boscoe
30-11-2004, 20:59
... I think you've had enough 'e' numbers today Peng ;)

kniga
30-11-2004, 21:38
Boscoe,

Don't sulk, I said DPG was ONE of the best English cooks; I freely observe, as I have in the past, that you are another such English culinary talent. This you certainly proved at your SECOND Thanksgiving feast last Thursday. I was just trying to improve DPG's, ah, social life...

360KiloStripedKitty
30-11-2004, 21:40
Kitty,

I'll happily take a kilo; just let me know how much it costs and when and where I can get my add-on order.

Kilo is fine - I really have room only for 2 in any case and that means the 5 kg order is called for. Order will come next Thurs or Fri - will PM you with details.

kniga
30-11-2004, 21:56
Kitty,

Thanks!

DPG
30-11-2004, 22:28
Originally posted by pengwn9
Aaarrgghhh, you can't really mean that?? Bangers and Mash? You mean sausage and potatoes? :snoring:

Behold the beauty of American cuisine and bow. Cheesy cheese enchiladas with ranchero chili sauce. Steamed pudding?! How about deep dish cherry pie instead? Incredible bacon? Scoff, scoff.
Cured smoked Virginia ham with glaze. You too must get out more often. No one in their right minds in America would eat that weird fermented yeast stuff on bread when they could have peanut butter and jelly on soft whole wheat.

Boscoe and Braders, m'luds - I hand centre stage over to you on this one!!;-)

bagehot
30-11-2004, 22:52
Originally posted by Idiot Amin
For what purpose would anyone recommend any of the above? Shouldn't this thread be in the PETS section - no, wait, feeding British cuisine to an animal constitutes the most abject form of cruelty to animals and is forbidden according to Russian law. In fact, the RSPCA puts out warning leaflets regarding feeding any of the above dishes to pets.

Besides, doesn't British cuisine consist of lamb vindaloo, chicken tikka masala, and curry these days? :)!

You're one to give dining tips.

Idiot Amin
30-11-2004, 22:55
Originally posted by bagehot
You're one to give dining tips.

You better hope I'm never in the mood for obnoxious racist t***** on the grill!

boscoe
30-11-2004, 23:54
Originally posted by DPG
Boscoe and Braders, m'luds - I hand centre stage over to you on this one!!;-)

Hardly worth talking food to a citizen of a country who’s idea of cooking is opening the can/packet/carton placing it in a microwave and waiting for the ‘ding’ :p

bagehot
30-11-2004, 23:57
British people can't prepare a decent meal after 11 am - after that you're best off going to an Indo-Pak buffet. In the US, 'tis true, we do nuke a lot of our food, but we also have Cajun and Tex-Mex, not to mention the 'fast' version of every other cuisine on earth.

Food Americanization Chart:

Italian Cuisine ---------> Pizza and Spaghetti
Chinese Food ---------> General Tsao's Chicken
German Food ---------> Hot dogs
British Food ---------> Bacon and Eggs
Irish Food ---------> Stew, Guiness
Mexican Food ---------> Tacos, Burritos, Quesadillas
French Food ---------> FREEDOM FOOD!

DPG
30-11-2004, 23:57
Originally posted by boscoe
Hardly worth talking food to a citizen of a country who’s idea of cooking is opening the can/packet/carton placing it in a microwave and waiting for the ‘ding’ :p

Lol!

Aren't you forgetting the pinnacle of American gastronomic achievment??:

"Hello, Dominos Pizza, how can I help you??":p

boscoe
01-12-2004, 00:02
and grits..... you CAN'T forget grits!

Sidney Bliss
01-12-2004, 00:34
By the way, you can put me in for some of John's really hot sausage

The smut they allow in the expat cafe these days.:rolleyes:

boscoe
01-12-2004, 00:35
Not sure what I should edit Kniga’s post or your mind :)