PDA

View Full Version : That perfect expresso - but cheap!

josb
11-08-2009, 06:10
I am a coffee addict -but it has to be good, and preferably Italian. Suggestions for good places in Moscow?

Kangaroo495
11-08-2009, 11:03
I am a coffee addict -but it has to be good, and preferably Italian. Suggestions for good places in Moscow?

I don't normally order espressos in Moscow (as that would normally guarantee that I'll be disappointed). But there are a couple of decent places where I often go for lattes or cappucinos. They are:

Costa Coffee - Costa Coffee (http://www.rus-res-rev.ru/index_files/Costa.htm)
CoffeeMania - Coffeemania (http://www.rus-res-rev.ru/index_files/Coffeemania.htm)
I also heard that Julius Meinl at Chistiye Prudy is very good. Haven't tried it yet.

But I think if you're a coffee addict, you're going to be pretty dissapointed in Moscow.

PS: If someone tells you that you can get good coffee at Coffee House - punch them in the face immediately.

Viola
11-08-2009, 11:29
I like espresso at Pizza Express in Smolensky Passage.
The best cappuccino is in Volkonsky (but depends on barista sometimes). Normally it is hors concours.

Qdos
11-08-2009, 11:39
I like espresso at Pizza Express in Smolensky Passage...

Everything in Pizza Express appeals to me, I must admit... :devilish:

* Glances at rapidly expanding waistline... *

Kdvm
19-08-2009, 08:07
CoffeeMania, mentionned above, is nice - however I agree that in general there is no good coffee in Moscow.

mei
02-09-2009, 00:11
I don't normally order espressos in Moscow (as that would normally guarantee that I'll be disappointed). But there are a couple of decent places where I often go for lattes or cappucinos. They are:

CoffeeMania - Coffeemania (http://www.rus-res-rev.ru/index_files/Coffeemania.htm)
I also heard that Julius Meinl at Chistiye Prudy is very good. Haven't tried it yet.

But I think if you're a coffee addict, you're going to be pretty dissapointed in Moscow.

PS: If someone tells you that you can get good coffee at Coffee House - punch them in the face immediately.

i am also disappointed with the coffee house,especially the way they do their frappucino.id rather made mine homemade....sorry

mei
02-09-2009, 00:14

where is Julius Meinl in chistye prudy located?i heard about the red espresso in chistye prudy too,havent tried though...i'll keep you posted

tvadim133
02-09-2009, 00:49

Not only in the face...

Coffe House, Shokoladnitsa e.t.c. are horrible.

Coffe Mania is not bad (I would say good especially with their cakes (I love their "Tartiuf").

There is a Nesspreso Bar on Petrovka str (next building after Stoleshnikov pereulok), besides they have go not bad coffee in "cafe Maner" which is in Berlin House on Petrovka str (crossing Petrovka str. and Kuznetskiy Most).
Besides Alderbaran is one of my favourite points (Bolshoi Tolmachevskiy lane 4 M.Tretiakovskaya, next to the Gallery).

Unfortunately, all these "establishments" are not very cheap.

Kangaroo495
02-09-2009, 10:07
where is Julius Meinl in chistye prudy located?i heard about the red espresso in chistye prudy too,havent tried though...i'll keep you posted

Julius Meinl address (http://www.afisha.ru/msk/restaurant/24857/)

Benedikt
02-09-2009, 11:47
i vote for Julius Meinl on chisty prudy. I know their coffee and know how thez should taste from Vienna and THERE we have the best coffee,
apologies of course to all italians who make the best.....

tasha3004
15-09-2009, 22:52
try Costa Coffee... this is the only authentic Italian Coffee in Moscow...

MissAnnElk
16-09-2009, 08:27
I've been hanging out at RED the past week or so . . . it is down the street from Papa's, towards Chistye Prudy. I like their iced cappuccinos. I also darkly suspect their baked goods come from Kaiser/Volkonsky. Mostly I like being able to sit outside (for now).

Say what you will about Schokoladnitsa, but for about 149 rubles, you can get a little breakfast AND a nice big cup of coffee (until 11:00 a.m. I think) which is cheaper than their coffee alone.

Dantes (across the street from Papa's) is okay, too.

Kangaroo495
16-09-2009, 10:47
for about 149 rubles, you can get a little breakfast AND a nice big cup of coffee ...

MissAnn, I think this is part of the problem with coffee in Russia - it's too big.

E.g. I order an espresso - they fill the damn cup up to the rim with warm brown filth. They don't understand that less is more.

I order a cafe latte - it's a massive glass of scolding hot milk. No coffee taste to speak of

Cappucino - also too big

The cups they use are too big! They've been corrupted by this Starbucks rubbish, where people feel ripped off if the coffee is less than one litre.

That's why I would recommend Costa - they've got the classic size, plus an option to make it bigger if you like. The taste is brilliant.

I've seen RED by the way. Would really like to try it out also! Was suspicious that it was a typical Moscow "all interior" place, which looks cool but doesn't have the first idea about what a coffee is...

MissAnnElk
16-09-2009, 11:00
MissAnn, I think this is part of the problem with coffee in Russia - it's too big.

E.g. I order an espresso - they fill the damn cup up to the rim with warm brown filth. They don't understand that less is more.

I order a cafe latte - it's a massive glass of scolding hot milk. No coffee taste to speak of

Cappucino - also too big

The cups they use are too big! They've been corrupted by this Starbucks rubbish, where people feel ripped off if the coffee is less than one litre.

You're right about that! :iagree:

I don't generally order an espresso, so I didn't make the connection.

FatAndy
16-09-2009, 18:05
2 Kangaroo495 and MissAnnElk:
problem with coffee in Russia - it's too big. - the reason is that Russian mentality mentioned everywhere, just recall the proverb : "Большому куску рот радуется"(С) ;) (The mouth is happy with the big piece)

Just ask them make it stronger but in small volume (маленькиую чашку, но очень крепкий ;))

jeyla
16-09-2009, 19:31
i have to agree with k495... coffee here sucks... i ve given up long ago on getting anything decent at a coffee shop or a cafe... although i can recommend 2 restaurants that serve great coffee! i actually look forward to it everytime im there for a meal: bistrot (italian place close to savvinskaya naberezhnaya) and that anatoly komm restaurant at sphera shopping center at noviy arbat

all my friends in europe think im nuts cause i drink so much coffee every time i visit! im just trying to make up for all the coffee i dont get to drink here...

Kangaroo495
17-09-2009, 13:02
2 Kangaroo495 and MissAnnElk:
problem with coffee in Russia - it's too big. - the reason is that Russian mentality mentioned everywhere, just recall the proverb : "Большому куску рот радуется"(С) ;) (The mouth is happy with the big piece)

Just ask them make it stronger but in small volume (маленькиую чашку, но очень крепкий ;))

I tried. Many times. Once, I even got behind the coffee machine at Kofe House to demonstrate how it should be done. Other than the incident at Coffee House, I have not been able to get them to make it "malenkiy i krepkiy". Even if I tell them to put in a "микроскопическое" amount of coffee... They still fill it to the rim... ))

FatAndy
17-09-2009, 13:09
Well, you know... To push a button on the espresso machine is much easier than to switch on own brain and perform non-standard operations... just because of dynamic stereotype, almost on instinctive level...

sophieperle
17-09-2009, 13:45
For me definitely the LPQ - LE PAIN QUOTIDIEN Espresso Bars....

Just tested yesterday the new LPQ on Lesnaya ul.5, not far from Beloruskaya.

The coffee is very good and the atmosphere is smooth. Free Wifi and nice service. :10293:

Here is the list of the Bakeries+Espresso bars I found on their website:

m.Fili, m.Bagrationovskaya
Bagrationovsky proezd, 5
+7(495) 287 80 59

m.Novokuznetskaya m.Tretiakovskaya m.Polyanka
Pyatnitskaya St. 6/1
+7(495) 951 91 30

m.Belorusskaya (Tverskaya) Lesnaya St. 1/2
+7(495) 234 17 85

Lesnaya st. 5
Opening 9th September 2009

m.Kievskaya
Evropeysky Mall
1st floor
+7(495) 229 66 74
Opening October 2009

m.Smolenskaya m.Barrikadnaya
Novinsky Blvd. 7
+7(495) 605 20 56

m.Teatralnaya m.Okhotny_ryad
Kamergerski Per. 5/6
+7(495) 937 77 42

m.Park Kutury
Zubovsky Blvd. 5 Str.3
+7(499) 255 77 95
m.Belorusskaya (Lesnaya)

m.Taganskaya
Nijnaya Radishevskaya st., 5 bld. 3 Opening September 2009
m.VDNKH

Prospect Mira , 211 Opening January 2009

LPQ - :10806:

pjw
17-09-2009, 14:25
Well spotted Sophie. LPQ looks excellent.

And just browzing through the menu, the prices for coffee (http://www.lpq.ru/index.php?link_id=41&lang=eng) and food (http://www.lpq.ru/index.php?link_id=22&lang=eng) look pretty reasonable. Variety of choice. I'm sure it tastes good. Only one way to find out I guess. :10518:

Viola
17-09-2009, 14:30
Pete, I agree with Sophie, it's an excellent place. The food is very tasty for a reasonable price and the places have good location and very cozy and friendly atmosphere.

sophieperle
17-09-2009, 14:56
I know this is a thread about ESPRESSO, but I tried the business lunch there as well, and it's not bad at all.

One thing I really appreciate in these LPQ places is the quite atmosphere. It seems they really worked on the decibel level of noise and put a limit to a HUMAN scale... :piano:

.... this is just LUXE in this noisy megapole... :)

Kangaroo495
18-09-2009, 11:24
It seems they really worked on the decibel level of noise and put a limit to a HUMAN scale...

So no loud house music?

How do they get customers then?

They must offer sushi.......

MissAnnElk
18-09-2009, 12:38
They must offer sushi.......

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

FatAndy
19-09-2009, 16:33
Today after almost 20 yrs I've visited again "vtoroi gum" in MSU :D

They've got cafe called "Воробьёвы горы" at 3rd floor North wing (button 2 in elevator) and for 90 rub that double espresso seemed to be good for me ;)

jeyla
20-09-2009, 15:59
oh i love LPQ !!! are they really gonna open one at prospekt mira? that would be so great :-)

Viola
20-09-2009, 21:43
Today after almost 20 yrs I've visited again "vtoroi gum" in MSU :D

They've got cafe called "Воробьёвы горы" at 3rd floor North wing (button 2 in elevator) and for 90 rub that double espresso seemed to be good for me ;)

Andy, we are from the same Alma Mater :celebrate: though I spent most of the time at Mokhovaya :11629:. As I remember the best cafes were at 'pevyi gum' at that time :10806:

FatAndy
21-09-2009, 11:11
we are from the same Alma Mater - nice to know! :D

the best cafes were at 'pevyi gum' at that time - yes, but best coffee was at "десятка" (between Chem and Biol depts). ;)

Kangaroo495
21-09-2009, 14:58
I tried the new LPQ at Belorusskaya today. The first thing I noticed when I walked in the door, was the poor quality of the coffee machines they are using. They're automated - i.e. the beans are poured into the coffee machine at the top, then you press a button for the type of coffee you want, and the machine does the rest. This is bad news, as automated coffee machines make terrible coffee, and are not acceptable to use in restaurants - especially in a restuarant which markets itself as a professional cafe..

I took a cappucino, which, as I suspected was TOO BIG IN SIZE and therefore completely weak, tasting like warm milk. The slight coffee taste which I could detect was poor - similar to what the automated coffee machine makes at my work.

I rate the coffee at 2/10. The price was good at 110 rubles.

I would definitely NOT recommend taking an espresso here due to the poor quality of the coffee machines.

I will not return to LPQ. They seem to have a good "design" team, but little in the way of knowledge or quality. Just cheap stuff, like at Coffee House.

Viola
21-09-2009, 17:35
I will not return to LPQ.

I support you in this decision, it's difficult to find a free table there :)

Kangaroo495
21-09-2009, 17:43

I guess that says a lot for people in general.... :devil::locked:

jeyla
21-09-2009, 18:34
i never had coffee there, i just like their tartines, and the little muffins with the coloured icing, those are so yummy :-)

sophieperle
22-09-2009, 01:25

did you try the one on Tverskaya&Beloruskaya or the new one on Lesnaya?

The new LPQ on Lesnaya (3 minutes walk from the older one) is brand new and huge. I can't believe you did not find a place there...

As for the quality of capuccino, I can't say anything as I never mix coffee and milk (a kind of heresy per se)...

I know the single and strong espresso I get there is really good enough for my taste :-)

Viola
22-09-2009, 12:08
did you try the one on Tverskaya&Beloruskaya or the new one on Lesnaya?

The new LPQ on Lesnaya (3 minutes walk from the older one) is brand new and huge. I can't believe you did not find a place there...

As for the quality of capuccino, I can't say anything as I never mix coffee and milk (a kind of heresy per se)...

I know the single and strong espresso I get there is really good enough for my taste :-)

As I remember I've been at their three places so far - at Lesnaya (the old one) at lunch time, we hardly found the table at the smoking area first, then moved to non-smoking, at Kamergersky during the weekend - very busy, again had to sit at the smoking area, at Tretyakovskaya been many times at different time of the day, it's a big one, no problem with finding the table.
I haven't been promoting them for their coffee, just a nice place, tasty bread, good food, not overpriced, as you mentioned the music is at decent level, doesn't interfere with conversation, friendly service. I wouldn't mind going there again.