PDA

View Full Version : Darkness at Dawn, The Rise of the Russian Criminal State

meljomur
10-09-2003, 21:53
My husband just bought this book, haven't started reading it but probably will once we move. Anyway it got me wondering about how easily you can find books of this nature in Moscow. Would customs care (if we were checked) if I brought it in? I know they have freedom of speech now(???), but I suspect there may be limits to it? Am I just being paranoid, a case of too many cold war movies!!!??

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

J.D.
11-09-2003, 07:56
I think you've been watch too many old James Bond movies.

meljomur
11-09-2003, 15:42
perhaps (although don't knock 007), but after reading all of these horror stories of people being stopped in customs, asked to pay for too much baggage weight, money taken if they bring in too much, etc. I just didn't want to aggravate Boris the customs officer too much :rolleyes:

cyclby
11-09-2003, 20:19
The book is ok, just don't stuff it with Heroin, This would be an issue.;) Well, more like a problem.

stefania2003
12-09-2003, 00:30
Book confiscation did happen to one guy I know as we were both going through customs. They were quite nasty about it too. But that was in the early '80's..........

polly
12-09-2003, 06:06
yeah don't forget to bring lots of rolls of TP with you, and lots of pairs of levis and western cigarettes, so you can like, buy stuff with em.
sheesh.
the only papers you'll likely get a raised eyebrow for are zigzags, and even that's not very likely.

meljomur
12-09-2003, 19:24
Thanks kermit, I really appreciated your opinion most of all, especially as this was outside of Bardak. Do like the masses and no problems...