PDA

View Full Version : turkey question

half crazed visigoth
25-11-2004, 14:14
for americans:

do you guys live off turkeys for weeks after thanksgiving like we do after christmas???

actually I was desperate enough last christmas to check out TGI's Xmas fare- the turkey was for nine people!!!!

turkey curry anyone? prize for the most inventive answer if I can be bothered....

85StonePolarBear
25-11-2004, 14:18
Originally posted by half crazed visigoth

turkey curry anyone? prize for the most inventive answer if I can be bothered....

That is right up my alley - I have used dark turkey meat in curry and it comes out just fine. Recipe - good luck trying to get me to write down any of my recipes - basically I use the strongest curry powder sold at Indian Spices (TRS hot, but if you are back in the UK, Tesco vindaloo powder is just fine as well - I have used it to my satisfaction), amplify it with pickled chilis, red pepper powder, tons of powdered garlic, and I use wine, whiskey (sp intentional) and/or vodka to cook the meat/"dissolve" the spices so as to avoid oil.

half crazed visigoth
25-11-2004, 14:21
sorry polar bear- I meant a theoretical prize for the most inventive use of excess turkey...but the recipe is good...will give it a try...

DPG
25-11-2004, 14:22
After eating that lot, curry won't be the only thing "right up your alley"...I should imagine a few rolls of bog paper will be too!!:D

half crazed visigoth
25-11-2004, 14:23
I dont think polar bears use it:) LOL

DPG
25-11-2004, 14:25
On topic, is there really all that much that can be done with cooked, leftover turkey??

Other than curry, sandwiches, salads, giving it to the cat etc??

85StonePolarBear
25-11-2004, 14:25
LOL to both of you - taste wise it comes out great, but the posteriour end of my digestive system is not all that pleased an hour or so later :p

half crazed visigoth
25-11-2004, 14:27
turkey meat loaf was one of my mother's favourites...the cat runs a mile usually...

85StonePolarBear
25-11-2004, 14:27
Originally posted by DPG
On topic, is there really all that much that can be done with cooked, leftover turkey??

Other than curry, sandwiches, salads, giving it to the cat etc??

I use raw turkey for the curry - raw turkey parts are not hard to come by here. Leftovers are best used in sandwiches or salads, or just reheated in the microwave with some commercial sauce or another for a quick meal. Soaking it in wine and spices might also prevent dryness when reheating it in a microwave.

Shatneresque
26-11-2004, 17:05
Originally posted by DPG

Two suggestions: First, turkey noodle soup---just boil the leftovers, take out the bones, add some lovely frozen mixed veggies, egg noodles, and Vegeta (or other seasoning to your taste).

Be careful not to overcook the vegetables and noodles. Serve straight out of the pot, or refrigerate and heat individual portions in the microwave. Add a gob of butter, some sour cream, Tabasco, paprika, whatever, and eat with soup crackers.

Second suggestion: turkey stew. Follow the above instructions, but leave out the egg noodles; stir in some milk or cream and a bit of flour to thicken it.

If you have Bisquick (available at Stockmann's), follow the directions on the box for dumplings and add the mixture to the stew in spoonfuls.

Serve with warm buttered (garlic) bread or biscuits (again, follow the instructions on the Bisquick box) and a nice mixed salad on a cold winter's eve.

Filimon
26-11-2004, 17:08
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
LOL to both of you - taste wise it comes out great, but the posteriour end of my digestive system is not all that pleased an hour or so later :p

"An it burns, burns, burns
The ring of fire!" :)

pengwn9
26-11-2004, 17:22
Turkey tetrazzini
Turkey tacos
Turkey pot pie
Turkey salad sandwiches

DJ Biscuit
26-11-2004, 17:53
England 2 Turkey 0