PDA

View Full Version : Prices for private lessons

Canadiantraveler
22-07-2009, 15:15
I don't see a lot of consistency in prices for private students for lessons with native speakers. I really never know what to charge. I want to be low enough that I get students but high enough that we can keep up the average prices I guess. A lot of my friends tell me I charge to little. I try to go off of the prices that everyone else lists but they are drastically different. I understand that not everyone who advertises on here is a professional TEFL teacher and that some people have more experience and qualifications then others so what should we all be charging?

Trying to start a TEFL cartel LOL

Bels
22-07-2009, 16:05
I charge 1500p per hour for a local student or pupil. As soon as I have enough students for a safe liveable income I begin to charge 2000p per hour. I have mainly children, and of course if there is for example an hour travelling each way the fee would be much higher. Most of my students are children or teenagers in the western region of Moscow.

Play safe at the beginning , and continue to find more at a higher price. Price on demand as we say. Of course inform your potential student that it would be much cheaper studying with a group.

I've bumped up the previous site on this subject:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/teachers-discussion-folder/38652-what-private-teachers-rates.html

Canadiantraveler
22-07-2009, 17:12
Thanks for posting this tread Bels, but I noticed that the tread was last updated over a year ago.

Given the crisis and at the same time brutal Russian inflation, what should we be charging now?

I would love to hear peoples opinions on this and it would help if everyone tried to follow some sort of standard. My philosophy on my own has been to try and charge less then a school would charge for me.

Bels
22-07-2009, 19:29
Thanks for posting this tread Bels, but I noticed that the tread was last updated over a year ago.

Given the crisis and at the same time brutal Russian inflation, what should we be charging now?

I would love to hear peoples opinions on this and it would help if everyone tried to follow some sort of standard. My philosophy on my own has been to try and charge less then a school would charge for me.

Why? Are your services of less quality than most schools here? Of course not. 1500 to begin with, and when you bulld a clientele of recommendations 2000p

dontcallme
09-08-2009, 17:55
Unfortunately there is no standard rate in Moscow. At the beginning I was advised 1,200r per academic hour was the average. I charge slightly less as I charge what I feel is a fair price, not because of my teaching quality just because I feel 1,500 per academic hour is too expensive whatever the average rate is.

Bels
05-09-2009, 14:49
Unfortunately there is no standard rate in Moscow. At the beginning I was advised 1,200r per academic hour was the average. I charge slightly less as I charge what I feel is a fair price, not because of my teaching quality just because I feel 1,500 per academic hour is too expensive whatever the average rate is.

It all depends who your prospective customers are. I feel that those who feel that the rates are too much should join up in small groups and share the proper rate.

Many private teachers here have houses and families to keep. and should be able to live as respectable as anyone else

dontcallme
08-09-2009, 12:11
It all depends who your prospective customers are. I feel that those who feel that the rates are too much should join up in small groups and share the proper rate.

Many private teachers here have houses and families to keep. and should be able to live as respectable as anyone else

That's a fair point. At the beginning I was introduced to slightly wealthier people and charged the rate I was advised.

Many students asked about private lessons but couldn't afford the price so I put the price down a little. I guess I like the idea that learning English should be affordable to most and I don't like the idea of students going into large group classes because it's what they can afford.

Bels
08-09-2009, 13:14
That's a fair point. At the beginning I was introduced to slightly wealthier people and charged the rate I was advised.

Many students asked about private lessons but couldn't afford the price so I put the price down a little. I guess I like the idea that learning English should be affordable to most and I don't like the idea of students going into large group classes because it's what they can afford.

Small groups? Small groups are useful to practice communication. Instruct them to speak English as much as possible.

One to one is a luxury for the wealthy who can afford it.

dontcallme
10-09-2009, 10:24
Small groups? Small groups are useful to practice communication. Instruct them to speak English as much as possible.

One to one is a luxury for the wealthy who can afford it.

I'm sure you're right. I have a couple of students who have lessons with their friends with me and it works really well. I have some students though who don't have a friend at the same level or able to have lessons at the same time. They often sign up to a company for lessons for an affordable price and end up in a class with too many students to have a productive lesson.

As a result I have put my prices down a little to accomodate these students.

Bels
10-09-2009, 10:57
That's what it's all about. Setting your price to the best you can get in your market.

tilston15381
29-10-2009, 19:07
You get what you pay for!!

I see teachers offering 700r per hour. To me that seems strange as alot of schools here in Moscow nearly pay 700.

2000 per clock hour is a good rate!

Bels
29-10-2009, 20:39

I see teachers offering 700r per hour. To me that seems strange as alot of schools here in Moscow nearly pay 700.

For one to one on 700p? How long and how far does it take in travelling to and from the student for this teacher. Yes 2000p rouble is a good rate but realistic to ask for if you are busy anyway. Tell me a teacher that is not too busy in the Winter, and I will say that there is something wrong somewhere.
1500p is easily acceptable.

Bels
29-10-2009, 20:47

I might have misread you somewhere. Yes decent schools offer to teachers about 15 British pounds an hour, of which is about 750 roubles per hour. So cutting out the middleman the figures don't the figures seem reasonable?

smchilds
29-10-2009, 23:53
I have also gotten a lot of offers lately for work through schools - usually about 1500rub for 90 minutes. A few years ago I worked at schools, and I always made 1800-2000rubles for 90 minutes (because I refused to take less). Once a school told me that they would give me 600rub to start and 700rub after a 3-month "trial;" I said I wasn't going to give a single lesson for less than 900rub/hour and they agreed. So, those of you who are willing to work for schools - you shouldn't be afraid to ask for higher pay, because there aren't enough teachers to fill the demand and the school might give in to your wishes.

Nowadays I charge 2500/rub for 90 minutes at my location only, though some of my old students pay a little less. For new students the fee is 3000rub. I don't have a strong desire to charge several hundred bucks per lesson and work for people on Rublovka (though I know they will pay almost anything). Basically, yeah, the less free time you have, the more you can charge. If you don't have any students to start with, of course you should charge at the lower side of the spectrum to start. In my earlier days here I tried to be more generous with my time, and I even gave 90-minute lessons for as little as 300 rubles :sick: I don't have the time/energy for such things now, though.

Dave78
30-10-2009, 00:04
Curious what the feeling is for lessons starting about January 15? Easy enough to pick up students then or not? Also, how much of a lull is there in the summer?

Bels
30-10-2009, 00:18
Curious what the feeling is for lessons starting about January 15? Easy enough to pick up students then or not? Also, how much of a lull is there in the summer?

First week injanuary is their Christmas. But in general January to March should be ok. It starts dipping from then as the Russian love theSummer when they have the chance. Students have very long holidays here, and the attitude is generally no work or study in the Summer.

I would like advice on this myself, as thogh I am successful as a private my work seriously dips in the Summer period. Due to this I am sriously trying to keep the oligarchs as they are the ones who do believe in work for the Summer. They often have many reasons of learning in the Summer, whether it be for them or their children. You need to seek the different markets.

But I must stress that my previous experience states that teaching in Summer is dead, and you may well be short of a bob or two.

Bels
30-10-2009, 00:22

January 15th to about May 2010 should be ok. The demand will seriously dip in June, July and August. Mid September you should be extremely busy if you already have the clientele or you have promoted yourself early enough.

Dave78
30-10-2009, 00:33
January 15th to about May 2010 should be ok. The demand will seriously dip in June, July and August. Mid September you should be extremely busy if you already have the clientele or you have promoted yourself early enough.

Thanks! I think that will be my plan. Has advertising on this site worked well as a door opener for people? I'm sure you're beyond that, Bels, but just curious.

smchilds
30-10-2009, 11:27
It is true that Jan-May are ok for students. I don't have a ton of free time in the summer, actually, because I teach a lot of adults and they all want to continue in the summer. I only lose them when they go on vacation, which is for 2 weeks, and it's not as if everyone goes at the same time. Yeah, all of my kid students take a break during the vacation, so if you don't want that to happen, better not include kids in your schedule. I think that you should be able to advertise a little more aggressively in May, and find people to fill the gaps in the summer (at least I have managed to do that). Though, anyway, summer in Moscow is so short, perhaps you would rather enjoy it a little than work all of the time :)

Regarding this site: I don't find students through the site. I do advertise here, and from time to time someone writes me and it works out. The last time I found students here was a year and a half ago, so... most people find out about me through word of mouth.

smchilds
30-10-2009, 19:06
Thanks! I think that will be my plan. Has advertising on this site worked well as a door opener for people? I'm sure you're beyond that, Bels, but just curious.

This raises another question:
Where do people (teachers) advertise?
I know:
irr.ru (one very good client has found me there);
efl.ru/forum (I have found no students there, though from time to time I send people there messages. My fees appear to be too expensive for them).
repetitors.info (I have founds tons of great students through them, BUT you must pay them the fee of the first lesson (which I find quite reasonable, because you pay them once for the contact and then you never have to deal with them again if you don't want to). I am pretty sure they also try to “sell” you to the client. To deal with repetitors.info you must speak good Russian, though, because the people who work for them don't speak English, and the contacts I find through them don't usually speak English either.
Moscow News (I advertised there once or twice and found one good client, who has been studying with me for 1.5 years now)
Moscow Times (I have never tried it)

Other methods:
What about flyers or those tear-off posters you can hang in your neighborhood. Frankly I have never tried it because I don't really want to advertise myself to people in my own building :P

Feel free to add something if you know of other advertisement methods and aren't afraid to share. To be honest I am kind of curious about how people find "power" clients of the Oligarch nature :11088:

Bels
30-10-2009, 19:21
Yes all of my students are local and word of mouth. I refuse those who are not local. Most successful response in advertising for me are the tear-off leaflets, local free newspapers in RUBLEVKA area. Local Oligarchs normally respond to my by word of mouth and local free newspapers picked up in shops, supermarkets, etc. I live in an area where I am surrounded by big housing estates. Some say that Rublevka is the wealthiest area in Moscow.

I always expect a driver to take me to and from these houses, as it's impossible to reach those houses with public transport. They all have houses with very long private roads.

For my market I find advertising in Russian essential, along with a Russian partner to administrate on your behalf.

Bels
30-10-2009, 19:25
I prefer all my students to be in my own backyard so to speak, because I don't to spend much time in travelling. You will make more income keeping your students close to you.

allielizzie
11-11-2009, 23:58
I'm also 1500-1800p per academic hour. Depending on location, time, etc...

I'm curious to know what other teachers do about cancellations?

Bels
12-11-2009, 18:05
I'm also 1500-1800p per academic hour. Depending on location, time, etc...

I'm curious to know what other teachers do about cancellations?

Like almost every other topic in this folder it has been covered and recently.

Try here by SMchilds. http://www.expat.ru/forum/teachers-discussion-folder/175825-what-do-you-do-if.html

GaNozri
12-11-2009, 18:13
Yes all of my students are local and word of mouth. I refuse those who are not local. Most successful response in advertising for me are the tear-off leaflets, local free newspapers in RUBLEVKA area. Local Oligarchs normally respond to my by word of mouth and local free newspapers picked up in shops, supermarkets, etc. I live in an area where I am surrounded by big housing estates. Some say that Rublevka is the wealthiest area in Moscow.

I always expect a driver to take me to and from these houses, as it's impossible to reach those houses with public transport. They all have houses with very long private roads.

For my market I find advertising in Russian essential, along with a Russian partner to administrate on your behalf.

Do you charge different rates for lessons with/without a "happy end"?:ignore:

Alesa
18-11-2009, 20:25
Thanks

Bels
18-11-2009, 20:51
Thanks

For what? For allowing your five posts :)

And those are your five posts? The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/search.php?searchid=561094)

How about an introduction?

Willy
19-11-2009, 11:06
For what? For allowing your five posts :)

And those are your five posts? The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/search.php?searchid=561094)

How about an introduction?

Oh shut up bels!

Stop harassing people.

Bels
19-11-2009, 11:48
Oh shut up bels!

Stop harassing people.

sorry, you're right. No more. But what's the point of a forum with simple pointless irrelevent words. And it looks like someone deleted her previous posts. So somebody from admin must have agreed with me.

Bels
20-11-2009, 00:01
I am extremely concerned here. This folder was given for teachers only.

The point is that we cannot have those here trying to build up their five posts here with less than a few words here. It is unaccepatable, as we are not here to be used due to the acceptable new rules of expat.ru.

This means that the first five posts should be meaningful. Not how do you do, then thanks, then thanks, and what's your father, and then I am onlly here to get my five posts so I can plaster you with my spam with email, telephone numbers, and web addresses and then disappear to the next chosen forum. That's spam and tose kind of people have no interest whatsoever of being members of this forum.

Now do you understand me. I am part of suggesting and supporting the new rules of expat.ru. And I do believe the new rules are working out rather well for expat.ru.

Yes slower, but more certain for sure. The strict rulaes really are working, even though some newbies might. We are reducing the nonsence and spam! It really is working.

And by the way, this is my thread. OOps sorry that was another one. This one belongs to Canadian Traveller.

Willy
20-11-2009, 14:50
I am extremely concerned here. This folder was given for teachers only. [B]

And by the way, this is my thread. OOps sorry that was another one. This one belongs to Canadian Traveller.

It seems like he's shuffled off to Buffalo.

Bels
20-11-2009, 21:48

I love expressions Willy, as you know. But I am not aware of this one. As you you can see I made the mistake to purposely make a point. Or does that what the expression means?

In regards to hassling newbies. look at all my posts, as you will see I work hard here encouraging new members here to join and speak up. It is what I want. I want thousands of members here responding here as membere here. That is what I want.
But what I don't want are those who try to be members here, who don't give a toss , and have desire to spam all over the place and dont't have any intententions of having a constructive discussion here as a member. Those are the ones I do detest. Now do you understand.

Bels
20-11-2009, 22:46

Have a good lookk at this forum and its statistics.

Willy. Now I claim you here as an active member here Willy. But look!! How many of us here are really active? The expat list claims a massive amount!!! But how many are there really active here 25? 40? There is no doubt much less than forty. How many are even regularily active from admin and mod. There are now Ezik? Judge? Who else now?

If we really want to make this a very communicitive forum that is highly successful of us being a community as expats in Russia, and for those russians and others who speak Engliglish? We must encourage them to be part of our community.

We few who are active must encourage all newbies to be active here, enjoy our forum and be part of our community.

I have no desire to attack those who want to become a member here, I can assure you of that.

Bels
20-11-2009, 23:02
But back to topic. My experience of rate is this. One thousand five hundred roubles per hour at the beginning. Whan you are busy and confident raise it to 2000 roubles per hour. That is when you are doing overtime, or you feel overbooked. Yes at 2000 roubles you will get many refusals, however does it matter if you are already busy. When you are no longer busy, such as the Summer, drop it to 1500 roubles. Do what ever you feel the market, many will try you for nothing. But you are in business. Aren't you?

By the way, this is also the Russian way of thinking when they do business. So don't think you are being tough.

thva
21-11-2009, 00:07
Do you charge different rates for lessons with/without a "happy end"?:ignore:

What is a "happy end" for teaching? When the student is admitted to Yale or Oxford? When they complete their PhD? When they consistently remember to use "s" with 3rd person in present simple? :11629:

Bels
21-11-2009, 00:15
To simply and clearly communicate with another person in English would be a fantastic start. And then then progress from there.

I often wonder what on earth the state schools are doing, when their students cannot cannot communicate in English more than whats your name? And a couple of American swear words. When many of them have been learning English for more than seven years.What on earth are they doing in the state schools with this state school exam garbage.

KLi
24-11-2009, 17:45
The State Exam isn't a bad exam, actually, it's based on modern methods of examining students, and looks uncannily similar to the Cambridge exams in terms of tasks, uses Council of Europe scales and descriptors. Unfortunately, they haven't included the speaking paper element yet, and probably won't as it's very expensive. The Year 9 state 'attestation' exam looks to be very similar, and is testing real language skills again, so far with the exception of speaking. I think a lot of excellent teaching goes on in the local schools here, especially the specialised schools. As for the ordinary schools, I think the children leave with roughly the same level of communication skills as 16-year olds in the UK who've taken a modern foreign language, taking into account usual factors like intensiveness of tuition, class sizes, teacher's skills etc. Some of the textbooks 'officially' recommended by the education dept are pretty crap and not very communicative in places, I will agree.

dontcallme
24-11-2009, 20:03
To simply and clearly communicate with another person in English would be a fantastic start. And then then progress from there.

I often wonder what on earth the state schools are doing, when their students cannot cannot communicate in English more than whats your name? And a couple of American swear words. When many of them have been learning English for more than seven years.What on earth are they doing in the state schools with this state school exam garbage.

Probably the same I did in the UK when learning French. I spent five years taking French and could only say a handful of phrases and count to 20.

NotAnAngel
24-11-2009, 21:48

In my case the possibility to communicate fully depended on teachers: if I liked the teacher and the methods of teaching I was learning quickly and effortlessly, if I didn’t – I didn’t.
It happened that I wasn’t able to say a few words one year and was among the best students next time.
But at school 1) you can’t choose teachers 2) they often are changed and every next teacher starts from the new section of the book and doesn’t really care if the class had already finished the previous one 3) every teacher has his “favourites” and mostly teachers them. So the best way to be good at school is to like your teacher and be among his/her “favourites”))) Besides, even if you’re ok during the year you’re at risk to forget everything you’ve learnt during the summer holidays which means that you had a great time)))

Bels
25-11-2009, 23:59
Yes that is a big problem with native English teachers,as many of them will come and go in Russia, and you can end up with many of them even through one level of a course.

If you have been lucky enought to grow up from a child to a young teenager you may well consider yourself very lucky and fortunate , but that is rarely possible here. And yes if you are that fortunate, hopefully you do like the teacher.

Bels
26-11-2009, 00:05

Times have changed over the years as this folde has developed here. Interest has increased here, and not only from teachers. Students, outsiders, schools, agents have also shown an interest here. There is now time for change and splitting up the forum into pieces.

An update of improvement in this folder has been discussed. I am waiting for the update to function and let us see the changes.

heysartre
28-11-2009, 09:12
I can say that the usual price for a russian teacher is 1000r per hour.
So for native speakers 1500r is fine.
In my opinion 2000 and more is a little bit high for the students, but for those who need lessons for work is ok.

Bels
28-11-2009, 14:42
I can say that the usual price for a russian teacher is 1000r per hour.
So for native speakers 1500r is fine.
In my opinion 2000 and more is a little bit high for the students, but for those who need lessons for work is ok.

2000 is high, threfore everybody can afford this apart from the wealthy few. But 2000 should be your target eventually when you get established, whether it be the total price for a group of students, or whether it be for a wealthy individual in their own home.

Mud
28-11-2009, 22:55
Oh shut up bels!

Stop harassing people.

Hey Willy! Feel free to ask somebody to "stop harassing people" or to perhaps say less or say things in a different way. That probably helps us to keep each other in check.

Please try to find a more polite way to say this though. "Shut up" is a bit rude and disrespectful. The keys are patience and respect.

Bels
28-11-2009, 23:30
Hey Willy! Feel free to ask somebody to "stop harassing people" or to perhaps say less or say things in a different way. That probably helps us to keep each other in check.

Please try to find a more polite way to say this though. "Shut up" is a bit rude and disrespectful. The keys are patience and respect.

Love it! and you are so right. However I am used to it. But yes respect all members here, give argument or debate by all by all means, because as you will find out we love it. But don't slander!!! for the sake of it, But if you do have a difference of of opinion? Spit it out! It is welcome!

But respecfull debate is welcome here. What is not respected is personall opiniated attack on an individual member.

For the teachers' section of which \i predict will improve very soon, I believe that us teachers should stick together, I am not saying that we might not disagree with each other, but I do hope we stick together as a unit.

Bels
28-11-2009, 23:39
And believe me Will, look at my profile. Ihave promised to support Doctor Who as asked. and he has placed as my forum friend, Look for yourself on my profile of who my friends are. I have carried out my promises, but I will also give my views. It appears Dr Who has strong views, but so have I. Now do you understand.