PDA

View Full Version : Kaliningrad

funkalicious
20-07-2009, 17:52
Anyone have any info about Kaliningrad because I plan on visiting the city in a few weeks.

FatAndy
20-07-2009, 18:53
Nice city, former German Koenigsberg, now ours already 64 yrs. Emmanuil Kant tomb, good zoo, amber museum, nice recreational areas not far from the city (sea, sand dunas, pine trees). A lot of good and non-expensive food and local beers and brandies. Don't forget your passport, visa, registration etc. - border control is stronger than usual.

dalei
02-09-2009, 21:27
I've just been to Kaliningrad by car, entering via Sovetsk and exiting to Narva.

Waiting time to get in by car with German license plates: 4 hours.
Waiting time to get out:
- Without paying 50 Euro's "support fee": 12-24 hours
- With this 50 Euro's "support fee": 4 hours

Kaliningrad oblast: nice place on earth, unexpectedly good roads, nice swim in baltic sea, nice little villages on the way, Kaliningrad center itself better than expected although renovated in Walt Disney style.

Ergo:

Recommend going there but maybe there's other boarders to it where formalities don't take that long and even must be paid for to have human waiting times.

poland
19-10-2009, 17:36
they can do whatever they want...kalinigrad is a self governed military like style city...waiting times...try paying in vodka next time

andymackem
20-01-2010, 11:53
Hi,

I'm planning a roundabout trip from the UK to Moscow via Lithuania and Kaliningrad this summer (pleasure rather than business).

Does anyone know if the border on the Curonian Spit is open, or would I need to cross into 'mainland' Kaliningrad (as it were)? My idea was to fly into Kaunas, head out to the coast and work my way down the spit into Kalininskaya Oblast and on Kaliningrad city to fly home. Will be using public transport, or possibly a bicycle.

Cheers,
Andy

FatAndy
20-01-2010, 13:01
if the border on the Curonian Spit is open - should be. Check your visa, if it has proper time period etc.

andymackem
20-01-2010, 13:51
It's a one-year multi-entry work visa, valid until Oct 31. It doesn't specify any particular destinations in Russia (my visas never have, and so far nobody has ever asked about it).

From time to time I hear of land borders which are only open for citizens of the countries involved, which was my main worry.

FatAndy
20-01-2010, 14:22
Can't approve or destroy your doubts. I've just noticed a bit more strict passport control in Kaliningrad airport even for arriving internal flights (i. e., Moscow - Kaliningrad, 3 times) - before exit to city a couple of militsioneers checked passports of arrived passengers.