View Full Version : Driving Licence

20-07-2009, 12:33
Can I just get my Australian liscence translated at a Noterice / Bureau of translations and drive with it legally?? I didnt get an international licence before i came here..otherwise has any native english speaker sat teh written and driving prac tests....and passed....how much does it cost? Which kinds of medical tests do we actually need? Sigh....its complicated.:plane:

20-07-2009, 13:47
Driving in Russia - The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/driving-russia/) - better subforum to ask these questions ;)

21-07-2009, 19:09
Aya77, for a foreigner who is temporary on the territory of the Russian Federation it's OK to use his/her national or international driving license in case it has all info in "latinitsa" (latinic spelling). I guess, Australian driving license has :):):)

You'll need a translation only in case there's no info in latin alphabet in your license.

24-07-2009, 13:20
THanks for the reply, I thought i could only use my AUstralian licsnce for 3 months, then I need an international or a russian one. I live on a street with MANY police stops, so I dont need any hassles from them. HOw long have you been here and how long have you been driving here? Where does your information come from? Im in a bit of a mess because I have transit papers on the car and get pulled over regularly.

Digenis Akritas
31-07-2009, 14:29
After nearly 5 years of living in Moscow without a car, I started driving here last year.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a plethora of useful information on the GAI.RU website. It's one of the best designed state motor vehicle sites of any country I've lived in, I'd even say.

According to the site (Информационный портал ГАИ РУ: Правила сдачи квалификационных экзаменов и выдачи Водительского Удостоверения (http://www.gai.ru/PermisDeConduire/p406/)), you can use your international drivers license in Russia as long as it has all information in latin letters. If you want to be on the safest side, then get a notarized Russian translation of the license as well. Then print out that exact page from the GAI.U site and I guarantee you won't have problems.

If you are driving a car that is registered to someone else, you will need Power of Attorney (in Russian, doverennost'). But do not fret, just fill in a few blanks and print it off from the GAI.RU website: Информационный портал ГАИ РУ: Оформление доверенности (http://www.gai.ru/PermisDeConduire/warrant/)

Have these thing with you at all times when you drive, as well as proof of insurance, and you should be fine. I've been stopped a few times and this has been more than sufficient.

09-10-2009, 21:08
I had the same issue.
As far as I know you can use your license heee for 6 months. Then you will need to re-enter the country or apply for a Russian license.
So if you regularly leave the country (i.e. on business trips) there's nothing to worry.