PDA

View Full Version : ISO thoughts about crime in Peter

queenz
19-07-2009, 07:13
Hello,

Does anyone have some insight to share about crime in Petersburg? I'm getting some negative feedback from people here in Washington, DC, who lived there some years ago. They are recommending that I go to Moscow instead to study Russian, as they say it's much safer.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

trebor
19-07-2009, 10:08
Hello,

Does anyone have some insight to share about crime in Petersburg? I'm getting some negative feedback from people here in Washington, DC, who lived there some years ago. They are recommending that I go to Moscow instead to study Russian, as they say it's much safer.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I haven't lived in St.Petes so can't comment on that but Moscow is relatively safe if you use common sense.
Moscow is much safer that St.Petes? I can't believe that, i would have thought it would be round the other way and Moscow was a little more unsafe but honestly i don't believe there's much difference.
It would be interesting to hear the opinion of others.

Wodin
19-07-2009, 10:49
I live in St Petes and have been here for about 4 years. I don't think there's more crime here than anywhere else. Obviously, like in any big city anywhere, one has to keep his wits about him and be cautious. There have been reports of racist attacks, and a couple of racist murders over the past year or two, but again, it's not something that more endemic that it would be in Washington or London.

trebor
19-07-2009, 11:05
............There have been reports of racist attacks, and a couple of racist murders over the past year or two, but again, it's not something that more endemic that it would be in Washington or London.

...........or Moscow.

jengaspar
17-08-2009, 23:30
I've been in StPetersburg going on 7 years. I also lived in Washington DC for 5 years. StPetersburg is FAR safer than DC, and in general safe compared with other European cities. As others have posted, there have been racist attacks (I am mixed race, but have never had any problems). The center of the city (really, just Nevsky Pr) is pickpocket territory, but that's about it.

Hope this is helpful.

electrohouse
29-08-2009, 07:51
I had this same question before I left.
I'm an american. But racially, I am half vietnamese and half german. I don't look totally white but I don't look totally asian either. I was outside about 15 hours per day and was never stopped by the Police. I'm glad because I hear that it can be a pain in the ass. I look and dress more European. I had a number of Russians tell me that I look Russian. So maybe my experience might differ from yours.

I spent 3 weeks in SPb and never felt unsafe. I lived near the center of town, literally across the street from the Mariinski Theater. It took about 20 minutes to walk to Sennya Station and 20 to Nevskii Prospekt. I made these walks about 6 times per day. I went out past midnight a number of times, often returning after 4am.

After hearing horror stories, I was apprehensive about taking my valuables with me. But after the 4th day, I realized that there was little to worry about in the way of physical violence. I just kept an eye out for pick pockets.
I rarely was without my camera or laptop.

My roomate was Jewish. I asked him about skinheads. He told me that he had never seen any in his year of living in SPb, but he did have friends that had been beaten.

It is a horrible fact, but there are a lot more "obvious" targets for them to harass. Caucasians, Africans, and Indians being among them. I am obviously of mixed blood but I never had a problem. I did have an Indian driver assist me with a number of things. I could see the looks that some people gave him. It was not pleasant.

If youíre American, try to buy some European clothes/shoes, and change the expression on your face. :10518: And good luck.. I love that city. Other than the racsim, it is great. btw, most of the people that I met were not racist or viloent, at least not openly. Iím consumed with finding a way to return on a more permanent basis.

electrohouse
29-08-2009, 07:54
I forgot to add. I was a lot more sketched out from places in London and Los Angeles. Actually, there are places in LA that I would never go, even in a car.

You'll love it. Honestly, I don't think you've got anythign to worry about.