PDA

View Full Version : SPB is my camera ok??

electrohouse
12-07-2009, 06:48
Forgive my ignorance... but I really don't know anything about SPB.
I like taking pictures and have a DLSR camera. It's a little inconspicuous. Is it ok/safe to lug this thing around and take pictures like a tourist? I'd rather not have someone liberate this thing from me.

My tutor is from Moscow and says that she wouldn't take it. Anyone in SPB have an opinion?

I'm staying near Ulitsa Dekabristov... across from the Ballet. I'll wander all over the place, including the Metro. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wodin
12-07-2009, 09:55
Yeah you'll be fine. It's no less safe here that it is in Moscow. Keep your wits about you, as you would anywhere else and try not to walk alone or take a gypsy cab at night while drunk.

waves
12-07-2009, 10:06
Just be aware in crowded places like the metro and Nevski Prospect, as with many heavily touristed city pick pockets target crowds. There are thousands of DSLR laiden tourists here at the moment, bring it, you will nt be disapointed.

trebor
12-07-2009, 10:25
Just be aware in crowded places like the metro and Nevski Prospect, as with many heavily touristed city pick pockets target crowds. There are thousands of DSLR laiden tourists here at the moment, bring it, you will nt be disapointed.

Just keep it out of sight when you're not actually taking pictures. Keep it in a bag or something.
Best not draw attention to you yourself, especially on the metro.

Remington
12-07-2009, 14:56
Keep your camera in the backpack so nobody will have a clue what's in there. Same thing for laptop. Metro is notorious for pocket-pickers if your not careful.

electrohouse
21-07-2009, 05:38
Thanks everyone for answering. I really want to bring my camera but was considering leaving it at home until I got your replies.

Remington
21-07-2009, 12:44
I don't think any of us intended to scare you. It's just a common sense practice whenever you go out to take pictures in your own country. It's the same here in Moscow and Petersburg. I've seen people walk in the Red Square with their big cameras during the middle of the night. Just be around with people and don't walk alone in dark alleys or parks where robbing does occur even in western cities. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine. Enjoy your photo shots in SPB and post some pics here. :thumbsup:

Judge
21-07-2009, 14:39
Only one thing i'll say because everything has been covered.You will regret not taking your camera to STP because it's a beautiful city,the place is like one big open museum.
I have walked night and day with a camera around my kneck in SPB and never had any problems.

RIKO
21-07-2009, 16:49

Be especially careful in the metro in SPB. Don't kid ourself, it's not the same as Moscow as there are thousands more tourists (=targets). I had a gang of 6 take me on a few years ago in broad daylight in the busiest metro station in SPB (Nevsky). About 11.00 a.m. on a busy weekday morning. As you're about to board some guy in front acts drunk and stumbles back on to you. Other push him (and you) in as the doors are closing, and in the resulting ruck and maul your pockets get rifled (and I imagine, if you have one, your camera strap gets cut too). By the time you've composed yourself, the train is leaving, and your kit remains on the platform. With a new owner.

By all means take your camera (you dare not go without it) but be savvy and aware who is around you in busy places and isolated spots.

electrohouse
29-07-2009, 08:38
By all means take your camera (you dare not go without it) but be savvy and aware who is around you in busy places and isolated spots.

Thanks for the info about the metro. I was planning on taking only micro buses and taxis when I've got my good stuff with me. I'm bringing a pocket camera for when I want to be inconspicuous.

Remington Ill post pics and a couple of short videos.

Qdos
29-07-2009, 11:10
A lanyard can be invaluable, so when it's out it's attached to your wrist by a cord to prevent snatch and grab merchants - or as Judge rightly says, use a neck strap as well as a secure case.

ligovka
11-11-2009, 18:50
I've been teaching ESL here for little over than 2 years and every single one of my students has got a $2000-$3000 camera, often counting those without a clue on photography. Russians are ridiculous about the money. If SLR , which they call "zerkalka" is "in fashion" everyone under 30 years of age has got to have one. Be alert and aware of your surroundings while taking pictures, but you should be just fine. I often walk in the center of SPB taking pictures with the friends from US, UK and Japan visiting me here and if you exude certain confidence, no one will dare to approach you.

ligovka
11-11-2009, 18:56
Thanks for the info about the metro. I was planning on taking only micro buses and taxis when I've got my good stuff with me. I'm bringing a pocket camera for when I want to be inconspicuous.

Remington – I’ll post pics and a couple of short videos.

You'll be surprised how safe the buses in the center are. Those running down the main streets like Nevsky, Ligovsky Prospekts, etc, are municipal buses, all clean and new. Since they are the only ones accepting discount bus passes used by the senior citizens and students, they are mostly ridden by a very nice crowd. I personally stay away from marshrutkas (commercial minivans) and taxis due to the madness of the Russian drivers (I mean the unsafe driving style) and would rather trust a bus or even subway which is not bad at all during the off peak hours.