PDA

View Full Version : where to give back the discharged batteries?

Suliko80
16-11-2004, 18:40
Good afternoon:

Please tell me, where can I give back the discharged batteries? In Germany they can be given back to almost every shop selling electronics. Is it possible in Moscow? Enviromental concerns, you know....

Thank you in advance.

Suli

Sidney Bliss
16-11-2004, 19:21
I'm going to have a long, hard think about this one tonight and vote on the poll tomorrow.

P.I.M.P.
16-11-2004, 19:27
Ha! Maybe in 10 years or so when Russia takes the environment half-seriously. Signing the Kyoto protocol was the first step, but I can't count how many people I've seen draining oil and antifreeze by the curbside or on a lot. When I asked what the heck they were doing, I always got a laugh. Same goes with batteries and the dumpster. The fault doesn't rest solely on the shoulders of the average Igor though... The chances that you're living on a chemical/nuclear-waste/medical trash dump are pretty high, and the gov't has yet to release extensive Soviet-era maps of Moscow waste sites.

gadfly
16-11-2004, 19:53
You eco-goofballs. If you are so interested in saving the ecology, why don't you come over and wash my poezd. I'll give you some nuts to plant a tree.

Halyavshik
16-11-2004, 22:16
I chose "I don't know yet" because this reflects how I actually relate to this question in real life. I have a collection of over 2,549 discharged batteries that I'm holding on to until I make up my mind what to do with them.

plastique
17-11-2004, 04:07
Mosocw has new metal recycling bins on the streets for paper, bottles and cans.....seem pretty indestructible..but i'd pay to see a babushka trying to dumpster dive for the bottles.

Sidney Bliss
17-11-2004, 09:24
I hardly slept last night thinking about this question. I've just voted for the 4th option.

Halyavshik
17-11-2004, 09:27
Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
I hardly slept last night thinking about this question. I've just voted for the 4th option.

Sid, do you have any discharged batteries at home ? I could take them for my collection until I decide what to do.

Dr. Bukakke
17-11-2004, 10:06
Sid goes through a lot of batteries with his "adult massage" devices. I'm sure he could do his part to help the environment.

Sadie
17-11-2004, 10:10
Yesterday after work I counted the number of remote controls around the house.. the figure of ten drove me to horror, as after reading this thread I also canít bring myself to put the discharged batteries in the bin like I rashly used to do. When suddenly it occurred to me that maybe we could take the initiative of working out remote controlls operating on gas or other kinds of fuel. I reckon we could even open a separate thread on that.

I count on your understanding and support guys.

Outlaw
17-11-2004, 10:11
How about if they operate on a turn crank? That's environmentally friendly.

Halyavshik
17-11-2004, 10:13
Originally posted by Sadie
maybe we could take the initiative of working out remote controlls operating on gas or other kinds of fuel.

Better yet, let's make ones that run on cut-down trees !

"Hun, can you change the channel ?"
"Nope. Sorry. Looks like I'm gonna have to chop down another tree"

Sadie
17-11-2004, 10:19
i will pretend i do not notice your sarcasm, as i was prepared for sceptical comments of those yet doubting. there is oil and coal - there is always a way out, we just should be persistent and anxious for success!!

85StonePolarBear
17-11-2004, 10:26
...the furball is wondering if he is playing into Sadie's rather creative sense of humour or if she is being serious here, but anyway....

:) Sadie, I am actually involved in a business opportunity connected to recycling, and I support it wholeheartedly, but the fact is that a remote control which operates on fossil fuel could well be more dangerous for the environment than one that operates on dry cells. In addition, rest assured that you would not want to have to refill a household remote control with natural gas or any petroleum product (although people do refill lighters that way - I used to back when I smoked). Finally, increasing the world's dependency on fossil fuels is not a good idea, to put it mildly.

Turn crank makes more sense but is inconvenient; what I do not understand is that if calculators can operate on solar cells, why remote controls cannot (at least partially). Then again, it could have to do with the amount of power needed for that infrared beam versus what is needed for a microprocessor.

Actually, I plan to investigate the idea of dry cell (and perhaps car battery) recycling as I see an opportunity here, depending on what can be done with the chemicals involved.

Now, what about a remote control that operates on used kitty litter? ;) ;) ;)

alex shifrin
17-11-2004, 16:30
Originally posted by Halyavshik
I have a collection of over 2,549 discharged batteries...

So, you're saying that you have 2550 batteries, then?

Suliko80
17-11-2004, 16:35
How about using rechargeable accus? (I understand, my posts do not sound funny at all.) 20 pieces will probably suit all most common needs. Even including massage and switching channels...

Halyavshik
17-11-2004, 17:06
Originally posted by alex shifrin
So, you're saying that you have 2550 batteries, then?

49 and half.