PDA

View Full Version : I am so phokking frustrated!

85StonePolarBear
16-11-2004, 12:24
I have lost 32 kilos over the past year - and need to lose 8 more kilos but cannot seem to do it - what is more I feel that I am risking gaining weight again :(. Maybe it is nature's way of telling me that my ideal weight is around 100 kgs - but I don't look or feel all that great at 100. If I have to maintain that weight I'd need to lift weights or something to look better - and I find lifting weights about as interesting as watching Kirkorov in concert. As it is I walk at least 3 kms a day and sometimes far more on weekends; that keeps me in shape but does not seem to knock much weight off.

So far, I am back to Phase 1 on the South Beach Diet for a month or so - but I wonder if I have gone as far as I can on that diet. Any other suggestions? Should I just stay around 100 and find some sort of exercise to get rid of my belly w/o making my chest any bigger, or is that impossible?

Maine Surfer
16-11-2004, 16:15
Your body is used to walking 3km a day. You need to shock it, consider start jogging once or twice a week.

vince
16-11-2004, 16:33
If you don't like jogging, especially in this season :p , I can understand

Try to find a sport that suits you, that you like doing (tennis, squash, basket...) ;)

And I also think you should maybe change diet if you can.

I actually lost 15 kilos last year and regained 10 after short period of time. Now i'm loosing again but much slower.

It takes time to be fit...

DPG
16-11-2004, 16:40
Remember that it isn't neccessarily weight you want to get rid of, more fat!

Muscle is the world's number one fat burner - you will never be lean if you don't build muscle (don't worry about becoming "big", "musclebound", "like Arnie" or any other ridiculous notions people who know nothing about weights often say - it takes years, a very precise diet and often steroids to be like that).

Boring or not, get yourself into a gym, maork one part of your body once a week e.g:

Mon: Chest
Tues: Back:
Wed: Legs
Thurs: Shoulders
Fri: Arms

Couple that with 30 or 40 minutes of intense cardio (walking doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid, you need to jog, swim or play team sports) 3 times a week after lifting weights.

Continue to eat sensibly (limiting fat and sugars), eat more protein and stick as much as possible to unrefined carbs.

PM me if you want a training schedule for the gym and a link showing you how to perform the exercises in question.

Hard work in the manner of the above is the only way I'm afraid...

Sparafucile
16-11-2004, 16:54
The point about exercise is not to burn the calories, because that will take you bloody years.

The point is that you have to raise your metabolic level. Walking alone will not do that - it has to be something aerobic ie something that makes you break sweat a bit. You do not need a gym for this - just ten minutes before going to bed doing some gentle sit-ups, toe-touches etc will achieve the result. You'll then regularly burn-up more calories per day in your everyday activities.

Your body has a built-in "emergency warning" when you feed it less - it is programmed to think "famine, go to hibernation mode" and automatically use fewer calories. Like it or not, you have the body of a hunter/gatherer, and when you don't do any hunting or gathering, your body's rhythm slows down. Just 5-10 mins a day is enough to wake it up. It will not make you Charles Atlas, but it will normalise your burn-rate of calorie intake, and enable you to eat normal meals without worrying about fat, carbs and calories the whole time.

Also you'll sleep sounder for it, so 10 mins less sleep spent doing a few press-ups and then a nice shower after it, and you'll doze like a baby in higher-quality rest afterwards... and wake up feeling way better in the morning too?

S.
[someone who has been there too]

Sparafucile
16-11-2004, 16:55
ps - kudos for shedding 32kg, an astounding achievement :-)

DPG
16-11-2004, 16:58
Originally posted by Sparafucile
Your body has a built-in "emergency warning" when you feed it less - it is programmed to think "famine, go to hibernation mode" and automatically use fewer calories. Like it or not, you have the body of a hunter/gatherer, and when you don't do any hunting or gathering, your body's rhythm slows down. Just 5-10 mins a day is enough to wake it up. It will not make you Charles Atlas, but it will normalise your burn-rate of calorie intake, and enable you to eat normal meals without worrying about fat, carbs and calories the whole time.

Yes - A further very reliable way to increase your metabolic rate is to take the amount of food you would normally eat in three meals during the day and divide it between six meals...

This way, your body constantly gets nourishment and the need to store fat decreases, as does the fat itself due to the raised metabolism.

Also, if you can manage to drink a gallon of water a day, it helps no end... (Not as hard/much as it sounds - it's a total of 3 1.5 litre bottles = half a bottle between waking up and leaving the house, half between getting in at night and going to sleep, one in the gym/during exersize, one throughout the rest of the day...)

vince
16-11-2004, 17:03
True, water is a key element. You should drink a lot of it..

Really helps

trebor
16-11-2004, 17:29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DPG
[B]...............Also, if you can manage to drink a gallon of water a day, it helps no end... (Not as hard/much as it sounds - it's a total of 3 1.5 litre bottles.............[QUOTE]

Interesting point DPG but why is the water so important?
I'm on a diet too, lost 12kg so far.

vince
16-11-2004, 17:31
I also have to congratulate you, I didn't realise, 32kg...

Wow...

Respect man :p :agree:

85StonePolarBear
16-11-2004, 17:56
Thanks everyone - and actually I probably do drink 4 litres or more of H2O per day. Looks like the gym is inevitable :).

Team sports...hmmmm.....would participation in an orgy or even a menage a trois count ;) ;) ;)?

moscowmail
16-11-2004, 18:03
Respect Polar, I startef your diet 10 days ago and haven't lost an ounce :(

85StonePolarBear
16-11-2004, 18:05
Originally posted by moscowmail
Respect Polar, I startef your diet 10 days ago and haven't lost an ounce :(

I don't remember seeing any results until way after day 14. Also, what I told u in PM no longer holds true as they got smart over there - you do need to buy membership in order to get the full info (although there are some unofficial sites that can help - key South Beach Diet into Google and see what comes out).

DPG
16-11-2004, 20:35
Originally posted by trebor
Interesting point DPG but why is the water so important?

Don't drink any for a week and you'll find out!!

Seriously though, water detoxifies the system, aids the digestive system in processing nutrients and also keeps the metabolism at its peak in terms of metabolic rate...all of which help you to burn fat.

Also, if your body isn't sufficiently hydrated it won't function as well as it should and your dieting efforts will not be as effective as they could.

stefania2003
17-11-2004, 00:36
I don't agree with a huge exercise programme such as DPG suggested for someone who is overweight and probably a gym virgin. I used to do all that and more and it made not a scrap of difference to my weight. I then found a gym that just does bodybuilding (they do competitions etc) and work with a trainer 3 times a week with much heavier weights and in a more scientific way than I did at the fitness club in Moscow and have put on more muscle. The point is that it doesn't matter how much you do but the way that you do it and you can get more results in a short time if you work with the right trainer than you could doing it for hours on your own.
That's for muscle but for losing weight I really disagree with everyone on this site. I have done sports and seriously and then gym etc etc but only (and only) EATING LESS works for weight loss. My trainer in Moscow and here in Italy both say that.

boscoe
17-11-2004, 01:27
join the army - I know it's a little extreme but if you don't get fit they yell at you....... a lot.... and if that doesn't work they yell at you some more :)

RedCosmonaut
17-11-2004, 01:46
I found a diet of Russian food worked wonders for me. Lost 2 stones in 2 months, simply eating healthy food, fresh from the markets. Fruits, fish, and meats. No alcohol, just fruit juices and teas. Ah, and some cigs as well!

vince
17-11-2004, 10:20
It's true that to stop drinking alcohol really helps.

I have a friend that used to party a lot that lost 3 kilogrammes only by quiting drinking for a while ;)

85StonePolarBear
17-11-2004, 10:34
I hardly drink - sometimes go out and have a few on Fridays and an occasional shot of whisky or absinthe a few times a month if I can't get to sleep. As for the army, sadly, I am considered unfit - I wanted to join the Reserves and was advised that I would flunk the medical (now I hear standards have changed, but I am too old and I am no longer in the US, so that's that).

Dracula
13-12-2004, 14:36
I think it is also a question of counting the calories. You have to eat LESS than you expend. Whatever you do if you don't stick to this simple truth nothing will work out. Heavy exercise may not be necessary. But count the stuff that goes in.:)

gregs
13-12-2004, 14:50
Its not so much the calorie intake as to your crbohydrate intake. Calorie controlled diets have shown that this is the slowest way to lose weight and then maintain it. If you dont exercise so much and your metabolism is slow then restricting carbs is the best way in which to achieve weight loss. if your body cant burn carbs ( which is the the bodys fuel ) it has to burn fat. Cut out potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and substitute with vegetables, eggs, cheeses and other high protein foodstuffs. Cut out caffeine and milk and either substitute for caffeine free tea and coffee and drink lots of water. use mineral supplements and take a Vitamin b Complex. You will notice a significant difference within a week. The most important thing is to get your body into a state of Kitosis which shows that your body os burning fat efficiently. I couldnt lose any weight until i did this and lost 17KG in 3 months and it has not come back.

Lady Marmalade
13-12-2004, 15:02
I too have ridden the overweight rollercoaster and had to lose 15KG not just once, but twice in my adult life. However, I didn't diet as I don't believe in them at all. I swam, sounds crazy I know, but I swam a very specific style. I swam on my back, 3km a day, 5 days a week. It takes about an hour to do. The trick is to use swim fins!!!! It took about 3 or 4 weeks to put enough leg muscle on to start burning the fat, but I lost it at a rate of 1 or 2 kilos a month after that. I gained the weight the 1st year I was in Korea. I've been about 54/55 kg all my adult life and ooopppss I went all the way up to 69.5 kg. I would have been 24/25 then. [I swear it was evil rice three times a day] It took me just over 9 nine months to lose most of it the first time around at age 26 and then I eventually I quit swimming and slowly put it back on again. [So don't quit your exercise routine once you've met your goal, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.] It took just over a year the second time round which definitely proves that your metabolism slows as you age. However, I did continue to eat what ever I wanted [ although less rice which is pretty hard to do in Korea as it's the breakfast, lunch, dinner staple] and remember that I was a heavy smoker as well. Funnily enough I've just quit smoking about a month ago and minus a few screw ups of guilty snatched drags from friends, I haven't gained the weight that I thought I might if I quit. But, I also quit drinking tea and coffee and I used to sugar mine to death. I also started drinking a lot of water and no fruit juice anymore [I used to drink about 8 cups a day of juice]. I totally took 200 kcals [maybe more] out of my day and instead of gaining weight, I've lost another kilo. Go figure, but I think it makes a difference, i.e. the little things we eat or drink and never think about. To maintain the weight, I still swim, but I don't have to use the fins anymore and freestyle it for 3 or 4 km depending on my mood and stress level anywhere between a super lazy week [twice] and an on schedule week [all 5 days]. Anything that drops your weight rapidly is not a good thing, usually the weight comes back or at least so I've heard from some people. Don't be discouraged, eventually it will all come off. Ignore those crazy diets, like Atkin's for instance, they aren't healthy for you in the long run. I swear by my swim fins!Swimming for me is an alternative to the gym as gyms usually freak me out and swimming is totally zen.

85StoneWhiteFurball
13-12-2004, 17:12
Actually I've lost 2 or 3 since this rant - would have been more but I caught a cold the other week and suspended all dieting for a week or so until I got over it. Went back to being very strict about carbs except that I eat an apple or 2 per day - I also drink high calcium Contrex water (69 RUR at Stockmann - more like 80 plus at Azbuka, 7th et al) as well as water mixed with 2 tbsp of apple (cider) vinegar. If not the entire 10 kilos, I should be able to get rid of 5 of them in due time. The rest may have to wait for spring when I can get more exercise, unless there is enough snow for X-country skiing this year.

Dracula
17-12-2004, 12:52
Did you abstain from alcohol during this swim regimen?

Lady Marmalade
17-12-2004, 13:43
I can't say that I drink anymore or anyless alcohol than I regularly do on the swimming regime, although as I get older it seems where I used to be able to swill 7 or 8 500ml over the extended course of an evening plus early morning hours, now at 4 or 5 the hangover is the same or worse, so I'm at 4 or 5 beers, or 2 litres of beer over the course of an evening. I am in reality partial to wine, but getting a decent wine by the glass can be a challenge here and if it's wine, well then I can be really evil about the amount I consume. I drink about once a week these days, sometimes twice if we've gone out for dinner on the weekend.

Dracula
20-12-2004, 11:14
Thanks. Interesting.