PDA

View Full Version : English Books

Holbs
07-07-2009, 07:48
Are there many places where you can find English books (novels, etc) in Moscow? I'm trying to figure out if I need to bring along a few for spare time reading or if there is an English Bookstore/whether or not bookstores in Moscow have English sections?

Cheers!

dontcallme
07-07-2009, 10:42
There are several book shops around the centre that sell English language books. The choice is ok but there are slightly overpriced.

There is a book club (check the local events section) which meets aorund once a month where you can meet up with people and pick up whatever available books take your fancy.

Strider
07-07-2009, 12:03
for how long are you planning to stay in Moscow?

you might consider buying books from online stores with delivery to Russia, it might turn out a lot cheaper

Korkelia
07-07-2009, 12:26
Apart from my book swap club - where you can get books for free - there is an antique store with second-hand books in English (from 50 to 150 rubles).
It all depends on how fast you read and for how long you are planning to stay in Moscow.
Anyway, there is no problem in getting something to read in English in Moscow.

Ian G
07-07-2009, 19:07
Generally new English books - which are available in most bookshops- are slightly more expensive than the UK price- but not so pricey as to justify the cost of postage. The choice is often limited- classics, Agatha Christie, Harry Potter books, Harold Robbins etc, John Grisham, Stephen King, Terry Pratchett etc. (Not to denigrate Mr. Pratchett, of course, I'm a great fan of his.)
Check out »нтернет-магазин OZON.ru - книги, видео, музыка, софт, электроника, dvd.  упить книги, книжный магазин (http://www.ozon.ru), which has a good choice of books in English. Good for Moscow that is- there is nothing in Russia that can compare with Amazon. I'd say bring a pile of books with you, anyway.

Margo
07-07-2009, 19:19
Buy electronic book reader and download whatever you want across the world :).

rebeccalouisa
06-08-2009, 23:58
Hi Korkelia
Both of your ideas sound great. Where is this second hand book shop?

missDi
25-08-2009, 19:57
hey, i've been also looking for some books in english for spare time and lengthy trips....Personally i like a book store near Paveletskaya station, it is called Britanica (not sure thou), it is just opposite to a movie theater...books are generally 250-350 rub and pretty good choice. But being lazy i like ordering books right to my office and cant find any good online store for that...ozon is too overpriced...but well i guess this is a fair fee for being lazy...well anyways if u know a great website selling great books at great prices, please share ;)

Englishman In Moscow
28-08-2009, 11:54
No problem in finding English books here. New paperbakcs can be 500 Rubles or more. Russian ones by comparison can be 100 rubles - so learn Russian! :)

Also, there are many file sharing websites where you can download eboks for free (yes, even latest releases !) and you can read them on a mobile computer or smartphone

Nika0077
28-08-2009, 12:37
hey, i've been also looking for some books in english for spare time and lengthy trips....Personally i like a book store near Paveletskaya station, it is called Britanica (not sure thou), it is just opposite to a movie theater...books are generally 250-350 rub and pretty good choice. But being lazy i like ordering books right to my office and cant find any good online store for that...ozon is too overpriced...but well i guess this is a fair fee for being lazy...well anyways if u know a great website selling great books at great prices, please share ;)

Hello, I agree this is very good shop, I think it is one of the cheapest shop for English books in Moscow. Not easy i to find though, the entrance is quite indiscernible

FatAndy
28-08-2009, 13:00
2 Englishman In Moscow
where you can download eboks for free (yes, even latest releases !) - does anybody still buy e-books for money??? 8))))))))

mlekopitaev
30-08-2009, 21:49
By the way, what would you advise about the latest book best sellers in English. Something worth reading (fiction, criminal, sci-fi).

tequilabangbang
11-09-2009, 13:13
dom knigi has english books if i recall correctly

robertmf
11-09-2009, 15:17
Are there many places where you can find English books (novels, etc) in Moscow? I'm trying to figure out if I need to bring along a few for spare time reading or if there is an English Bookstore/whether or not bookstores in Moscow have English sections?

Cheers!

Keep an eye out here for the monthly book swap event run by exPat Member **Korkelia** (Leyla). Books, dvds, etc.

OlgaT
11-09-2009, 15:54
When I needed books in English I usually ordered them via centercom.ru (http://centercom.ru/). Another site where you can find even more books - logobook.ru (http://www.logobook.ru/). The latter is in two languages - English/Russian. They can deliver books to you or you can go to their warehouse and take them yourself.

lNl
12-09-2009, 22:38
You can find a Foreign Literature section in such bookshops as "Dom pedagogicheskoj knigi" (m. Teatralnaja) or in "Molodaja gvardija" (m. Polanka), there books are not very expensive, moreover books in English that are printed in Russia are much cheaper, so you have a choice.

dancer18
22-09-2009, 14:29
I would suggest Anglia book shop. I have never been there but am dying to check it out! Here is the website: Anglophile.ru - the best selection of English language books in Russia (http://www.anglophile.ru/english/index.htm). Thanks to everyone else for all the other suggestions. I'm also trying to get involved in the book swap. Good luck!!! :)

Bels
22-09-2009, 14:43
Generally new English books - which are available in most bookshops- are slightly more expensive than the UK price- but not so pricey as to justify the cost of postage. The choice is often limited- classics, Agatha Christie, Harry Potter books, Harold Robbins etc, John Grisham, Stephen King, Terry Pratchett etc. (Not to denigrate Mr. Pratchett, of course, I'm a great fan of his.)
Check out »нтернет-магазин OZON.ru - книги, видео, музыка, софт, электроника, dvd.  упить книги, книжный магазин (http://www.ozon.ru), which has a good choice of books in English. Good for Moscow that is- there is nothing in Russia that can compare with Amazon. I'd say bring a pile of books with you, anyway.

If you go to Brittania bookstore you will find that the English books are comparitively cheaper than the UK. I don't know why, but perhaps books are exempt of vat in Russia.

AmyB
04-10-2009, 20:39
Biblio Globus (ul. Myasnitskaya) has a decent selection of English books. Again, it's lots of classics and Agatha Christie, but I've managed to find some things there. Also have heard the store 'Bukva' has lots of books in English but haven't had the chance to check it out for myself...

Bels
04-10-2009, 20:56
Go to Brittania. address at longman.ru They have many English books for natives plus special English books for second language speakers with cds to listen with books. Also a great place for all teaching and student language learners. If they haven't already got it, they can order it. Prices are much more reasonable compared to the major bookstores of which I find a ripoff for English language books.

Grumpygummy
04-10-2009, 23:44
Go to Brittania. address at longman.ru They have many English books for natives plus special English books for second language speakers with cds to listen with books. Also a great place for all teaching and student language learners. If they haven't already got it, they can order it. Prices are much more reasonable compared to the major bookstores of which I find a ripoff for English language books.

If anyone would like a 20% discount in Britannia, please feel free to PM me - I've got a card there and can tell you the number.

Bels
05-10-2009, 10:25
I also have one. It's wise to apply for one if you are going to buy books on a regular basis there. I buy many because I teach fulltime and have groups. All my students benefit from the discounts. Delivery is also possible.

cheriedeperth
28-10-2009, 00:36
Hi Korkelia

Did anyone get the address of the second hand bookshop ? Can you please post it so we can check it out ?
Thanks.

robertmf
28-10-2009, 01:22
What happened to the state run Книги магазини ?

trouble
29-10-2009, 17:19
I have some books in English that I want to just give away, I will post the names tonight from home though... anyone interested, please PM :)

tanya.e
11-11-2009, 01:45
O love the place its called Дом книги, its situated on Kuznetskit most - you will like it - there are a lot literature books and others.

allielizzie
12-11-2009, 00:24
I just discovered Biblio Globus and was surprised how many English books they had! Its outside Metro: Lubyanka- and has signs leading from the exit.

robertmf
12-11-2009, 00:41
The November BOOK SWAP will be on the 15th
http://www.expat.ru/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=412&day=2009-11-15&c=3

marmari
21-11-2009, 15:33
yeah

Korkelia
21-11-2009, 20:03
Hi Korkelia

UNIVERSUM
Address: Metro Barrikadnaya, 16/5 Malaya Nikitskaya, stroenie 1
(ItТs an antique shop and they offer only second-hand books. Closed on Sundays.)

moscowman
22-11-2009, 12:03
I can recommend the book swap event as a way of changing your library and other meeting people interested in English books.

Isavr
23-11-2009, 12:58
you need PocketBook 360. excelent and small e-book.
& go to lib dot rus dot ec
:) enjoy

If you prefer legal book - Amazon kindle. delivering in Moscow

Korkelia
23-11-2009, 15:28
I wonder if anyone can share an experience of ordering Amazon Kindle. Did it go through our customs smoothly?