PDA

View Full Version : Robert Strange McNamara has died.

is4fun
06-07-2009, 20:28
Robert Strange McNamara died today. Any thoughts?

He died with fewer secrets than most.

AstroNoodle
06-07-2009, 20:34

I remember not long ago when he got on television and, from what I recall, essentially said that that they really did not know what they were doing in Vietnam. Many people forget to think that political success can be a tragedy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama or Palin in a similar aftermath of sorts one day.

Carbo
06-07-2009, 20:41
Wow. I feel shaken. He was a man of vast, vast intellect. Someone who made the jump from extremely intelligent to a small, sparsely populated area beyond that.

And in his later years he had seemed to have garnered a rare degree of wisdom, too.

For those who don't know a great deal about McNamara, I recommend watching the oscar winning documentary, the Fog of War, about his life and the lessons he learned from his involvement in war and government, which he hopes future generations will heed to avoid making the same mistakes as him.

This is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, full stop.

The Fog of War ~ Documentary about Sec. of Defense Robert McNamara's Experience

is4fun
06-07-2009, 20:56
I have not seen the film but had read much of what he had written. Thank you for the flick. I shall definitely watch it in the next few days. He was real history, today.

Scrat335
06-07-2009, 22:18
I can't say I have the slightest bit of respect for the individual. Just another politician. His abject stupidity cost a lot of pilots their lives over Hanoi, he was a warmonger of the worst kind as was all of his ilk back then.

Carbo
06-07-2009, 22:25
I can't say I have the slightest bit of respect for the individual. Just another politician. His abject stupidity cost a lot of pilots their lives over Hanoi, he was a warmonger of the worst kind as was all of his ilk back then.
A moronic comment.

is4fun
06-07-2009, 23:17

Instead of yer yappin, hee-haw, get a little bit of history behind the man before making these such comments, oink. Yes, there are those who do not agree with his position, but please, provide us with another example of someone who is better able to tell the truth on the inside. Politician? Where does that come from? To me he had a job... And also, time to change the Avi. The war is over.

robertmf
07-07-2009, 00:31

"A man has to know his limitations". My feeling is McN was dangerous to a generation.

Adamodeus
07-07-2009, 03:27

Ah, cold warrior extraordinaire!

It's the end of an era. Not a good era, but still...

This headline says it all:

Bangkok Post : US Vietnam war architect Robert McNamara dies (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/148152/mcnamara-remembered-as-brilliant-troubled-patriot)

Scrat335
07-07-2009, 05:20
McNamara's expressions of remorse -- in his controversial 1995 memoirs "In Retrospect: The Tragedies and Lessons of Vietnam" and in the Oscar-winning documentary "The Fog of War" -- have not sat well with critics of the war, who accuse him of sitting back while millions died in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

Ah yes, the Killing Fields, what other things did this guy do for humanity? I hope his death was long and hard. If Stalin was bad and Mao too then what was this guy? I not shedding any tears.

kapione
07-07-2009, 07:52
Robert MacNamara will spend eternity burning in hell, he is complicit in the Bay Of Tonkin lie, this was the official start of the American "active" part of the USA involvement in Vietnam, yes 58,000 men were killed , far more wounded , their lives ruined....I do not know exactly the Vietnamese toll both north and south was.......

Old men who run a war from a comfortable arm chair 1/2 a world away are fools, MacNamara came from the best schools, he had all the privileges anyone could have...yet he was a clueless fool
he surely will burn in hell
after his stint as sec of defense, he headed the world bank, ran countless countries into bankruptcies
I just turned 50 this past Sunday, my older brother was in the lottery for Vietnam, but it was over by the time his number came up....
I can remember the screams of the families cries as they got the news they lost thier sons in action in Vietnam,what a waste of humanity

kapione
07-07-2009, 21:44
I think God will Judge MacNamara more fairly than I did in my previous post....
He admits he made mistakes, I make mistakes,I was quick to judge him,Im not God,its not my place to judge him......
It was a different time..... it was a changing time for good or bad the world was changed in many ways because of him

RIP

AstroNoodle
07-07-2009, 22:36
I think God will Judge MacNamara more fairly than I did in my previous post....
He admits he made mistakes, I make mistakes,I was quick to judge him,Im not God,its not my place to judge him......
It was a different time..... it was a changing time for good or bad the world was changed in many ways because of him

RIP

Romans 3

10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17 And the way of peace have they not known:

18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.