PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to visit Sochi in July

Dirtylooks
02-07-2009, 11:40
Could anyone please give me some idea as to places to stay, wander, recommended bars, restaurants, beach, PRICES in particular for hotels or apartments, taxi etc. I would really appreciate your imput

FatAndy
03-07-2009, 12:05
Radisson Hotels & Resorts. Hotel reservations for leisure and business travel. (http://www.radisson.com/hotels/rusochi) - this one wasn't bad... I recommend to order taxi from airport to city in advance as taking it in airport will be expensive (moreover for foreigner ;)) BTW ask at hotel - maybe they have free transfer from airport.

trebor
03-07-2009, 12:52
Could anyone please give me some idea as to places to stay, wander, recommended bars, restaurants, beach, PRICES in particular for hotels or apartments, taxi etc. I would really appreciate your imput

I went to Sochi a couple of years ago 'round this time. I went by train as no flights available at short notice. Remember the school holidays things will be busy.
When i arrived loads of Babushkas at the train station offering apartments and rooms. Reasonable prices if you stop to negotiate and have a map with you to see the locations offered. Find a place out of the center on a bus route and you'll get good deals. Sorry, can't remember what i paid.

Visit Krasnaya Polyana and lots of other places with tours being offered in kiosks all round town.

Walk along the front in the center and loads of entertainment. Bars, restaurants, open air night clubs etc. There's a Tinkoff there too i remember.
Nice port to visit as well.
Loads to do there. Weather is different there and a nice feel to the place. Sort of Mediterranean. Beaches are not great. Pebbles and now i know why they call it the Black Sea!

Kartoshka
03-07-2009, 16:50
I went to Sochi last August. Stayed in Adler, a resort about 40 minutes by marshrutka along the coast from Sochi, and was glad I did - the beach there was much nicer than the one at Sochi (pebbly sand, rather than just big pebbles like at Sochi). I got a room in a babushka's flat, which I sorted out when I arrived at the train station. The flat was 10 minutes' walk from the beach and cost 500 roubles per night. The longer you want to stay, the better, and you'll probably be able to negotiate a discount.

From what I could see, prices in Sochi were at least 25% more than in Adler. That was one reason I chose to stay in Adler; it's also closer to Krasnaya Polyana (beautiful mountain range with a chairlift to the top - definitely worth a visit) and the airport is only 15 minutes away. There are very frequent buses and marshrutkas to Sochi throughout the day until late at night.

The arboretum in Sochi is a nice place to visit to get away from the seaside for a bit. If you walk up to the top of the hill where the chairlift is, you can climb the chairlift tower (past the entrance to the chairlift) for a great view over Sochi. It's free and not advertised at all, but definitely worth doing!

Dirtylooks
04-07-2009, 10:32
THANK YOU FATANDY, TREBOR AND KARTOSHKA for your valued info, I'll defenitely follow all your tips

FatAndy
05-07-2009, 16:49
Don't forget to visit dendropark and Riviera park (almost impossible to miss as city isn't huge, but long enough):
: , (http://www.in-sochi.ru/151/)
""! (http://www.dendropark.ru/)
Also Ahun mountain:
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D1%85%D1%83%D0%BD_(%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B0)

And balneo/spa area at Matsesta:
Мацестинский курорт (Сочи) — Википедия

TTshka
21-07-2009, 18:51
We lived in Marins Park Hotel - it's really very-very good (with high-grade all-inclusive, location is perfect, rooms are quite cozy).

Unfortunately they have web-site only in Russian and you can easily google them in case you understand Russian a bit.

As for Radisson - in my opinion it's location is awful...

brummell
19-02-2010, 15:26
Hello,

i would like to visit Abkhazia, and I heard that there is transportation between Sochi and Abkhazia, you have some infos ?

Thanks

Benjamin

Russian_Teacher
24-03-2011, 10:11
Dagomis (Дагомыс). Old but still good.

Andre818
27-06-2011, 16:05
I will be in Sochi on the 2nd of July teaching English to summer camp kids. Its my first time in Sochi and I am currently in Rostov. If anyone wants to meet up and have a drink, message or pm me. I will be having a lot of free time if someone wants to hang out.

Markymountains
22-03-2012, 22:07
As everyone above is saying loads to do in and around Sochi in July. Further up the coast you go, Dagomis, Adler, etc, the better the beaches and cheaper but the colder the water (still hot for a UK lad though).
If you are interested in trips to the mountains we are in the process of organising a private trek from Sochi to Maykop around 12-18 july the client is quite happy for others to join him. Also my guide will be there several days before the 12th, so if your wanting 1-2 day trips up to the mountains she can arrange it. send me a private message if your interested in any of the above. other wise have a good time its a great place to be in summer.

Markymountains
22-03-2012, 22:23
Hello,

i would like to visit Abkhazia, and I heard that there is transportation between Sochi and Abkhazia, you have some infos ?

Thanks

Benjamin

Tried to Visit Abkhazia july 2010 but messed up. At that time and probably still is the rules were as follows. Abkhazia is classed as another country, so firstly you need permission to enter. This can be obtained from the ministry of tourism for Abkhazia in the form of an electronic form, they then e-mail you back permission and a reference number.
There are no bus links/public transport between the 2 countrys. but you can take a bus to the border get off, walk through the market up to the border control/imigration at the back of the market, one side of the railway track. Go through Russian border control and leave Russia. You then walk across the Railway bridge and enter Abkhazia on the other side through their border control/imigration, the whole thin is reminisant of a cold war move set in Berlin. ONLY ONE THING Make sure you have another entry for Russia left on your passport other wise they wont let you back in and you'll be stuck in Abkazia for ever.