PDA

View Full Version : Greek mistreatment of the mentally ill

quincy
01-07-2009, 14:38
BBC NEWS | Europe | Greek mental care failures exposed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8124976.stm)

MickeyTong
01-07-2009, 14:50
Appalling and inexcusable.

I remember the original scandal in 1989, with patients living under inhuman conditions, no doubt because they were considered non-human.

Carbo
01-07-2009, 15:02
That's awful, and a shock.

It reminded me of this article in the eXile by Yasha Levine --> THE EXILE - A Case Study Of A Disabled Person - By Yasha Levine - Russia (http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=12857&IBLOCK_ID=35)

And I'm quite sure that conditions in British mental hospitals leave a great deal to be desired.

It's actually scary stuff. Just think, thirty years ago electric shock treatment was commonplace. I remember my mum told me that my best friend's mother (who gave birth to my best friend within a few days of me in 1979) suffered from post-natal depression and was given this treatment.

Awful. One of the best things the Russians did was to become the first country to outlaw this practice.

DDT
01-07-2009, 21:07
Perhaps the pot is calling the kettle black! Electro Shock therapy is still in use in the USA........... certainly in Britain too! Let's clean up our own house first! Estimated 1 million people get shock treatment worldwide every year.

Carbo
01-07-2009, 21:15
Perhaps the pot is calling the kettle black! Electro Shock therapy is still in use in the USA...........probably Britain too? Let's clean up our own house first!
Agreed.

MickeyTong
01-07-2009, 21:15
Nothing wrong with electroconvulsant therapy. It is used to treat depression when drugs have failed - it saves lives.

DDT
01-07-2009, 21:17
Somehow I knew you would say that!

Shrinks don't know much!

DDT
01-07-2009, 21:23
In case anyone is interested:

Electroshock therapy, also known as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), is the practice of applying electric shocks to the brain in order to induce seizures and modify behavior by damaging "problematic" portions of the brain.

After a few sessions of ECT, the symptoms are those of moderate cerebral contusions. The patient 'forgets' his symptoms because the brain damage destroys memory traces in the brain, and the patient has to pay for this by a reduction in mental capacity of varying degree.

This is still done even on children as young as age 4!

Psychiatrists regularly resort to ECT after only a handful of attempts have been made to modify a child's behavior with drugs. You would think that there would be an exhaustive effort to find a therapist with whom a kid might genuinely connect but you would be wrong.

MickeyTong
01-07-2009, 22:06
In case anyone is interested:

Electroshock therapy, also known as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), is the practice of applying electric shocks to the brain in order to induce seizures and modify behavior by damaging "problematic" portions of the brain.

After a few sessions of ECT, the symptoms are those of moderate cerebral contusions. The patient 'forgets' his symptoms because the brain damage destroys memory traces in the brain, and the patient has to pay for this by a reduction in mental capacity of varying degree.

This is still done even on children as young as age 4!

Psychiatrists regularly resort to ECT after only a handful of attempts have been made to modify a child's behavior with drugs. You would think that there would be an exhaustive effort to find a therapist with whom a kid might genuinely connect but you would be wrong.

Stop scaring people with your ignorance.

I have no idea why ECT would be performed on children, or how regularly it is done, wherever it is done. I would consider it malpractice.

Again, I emphasise that it is a life saving treatment. People who are profoundly depressed are beyond the reach of everyone. They can believe that they are already dead and rotting: they don't eat or drink and are at imminent risk of dying from renal failure.

ECT induces a grande mal epileptic seizure, and most people who need it require 6 - 12 sessions. It is controversial because nobody is certain why it lifts people from profound depression, and it sometimes causes some memory loss. Basically, the seizure disrupts the neural networks which maintain the depressive symptoms.

A more refined technique is being developed: transcranial magnetic stimulation, which does not induce seizures or involve so much of the brain affected by ECT.

DDT
02-07-2009, 00:25
Stop scaring people with your ignorance.

Why is it MY ignorance, when even your own, in the world of Shrinkdom, say that the use of ECT is scandalous and should be stopped?

My previous post is an accurate description and backed up by even some Shrinks, if that scares people then I would suppose that it is reasonable to be scared!

Carbo
02-07-2009, 00:37
ooops... wrong topic. tee-hee.

MickeyTong
02-07-2009, 14:23
Why is it MY ignorance, when even your own, in the world of Shrinkdom, say that the use of ECT is scandalous and should be stopped?

My previous post is an accurate description and backed up by even some Shrinks, if that scares people then I would suppose that it is reasonable to be scared!

Your description of ECT and your implication that it is a standard treatment option are ignorant. Where do you get the idea that it is a regular treatment for 4 year-olds to change their behaviour?

There is money to be made by some shrinks on the book- and talk-circuits by pandering to the extremist wing of the service-users' movement, objecting to all medications and finding no justification for compulsory treatment. I don't dispute that there are serious malpractices committed in some mental health care settings, but your presenting these incidences as typical is egregious, stupid and counter-productive.

People with mental health problems, and their families and friends, are not going to be encouraged to seek help by your paranoid scare stories.

DDT
02-07-2009, 20:48
Don't bash me. Bash your own in Shrinksville! It's their description of shock therapy not mine.