PDA

View Full Version : an annoying thing here for me

Fa-Q!
11-11-2004, 14:13
I noticed my first day working in Russia, at lunch time, everyone tells each other "priyantovo appetita!" Firstly, where I'm from, only the person that brings you a meal in a restaurant tells you to "enjoy it". Here, upon entering and exiting the dining room, one must wish everyone "priyatnovo appetita!", to which everyone is obliged to reply "spacibo". there are about 50 people in my company, as each person declares "priyatnovo appetita!" upon entering and leaving, there is "priyatnovo appetita!", "priyatnovo appetita!", "priyatnovo appetita!", and "spasibo" flying all ober the place. I have never wished anyone, "priyatnovo appetita!" but I always try to answer with a thank you. I've even had guys hostily ask me as I entered the dining room "What? You don't have to say "priyatnovo appetita!" I explained that my culture does not require me to do so. The big pain in the ass of the deal is that I'm forced to thank people 50-100 times (of course, a bit of an exaggeration) during the course of my meal, most of the time with food in my mouth. This is my number one pet peave here. This "priyatnovo appetita!", "priyatnovo appetita!", "priyatnovo appetita!" "priyatnovo appetita!", and having to thank everyone continuously is driving me insane!!! Shut the f***k up and let me eat my goddamn lunch!!! I don't need your f*****g good wishes or conragulations to do so!!! There. I've said it. That feels better. Cheers.:D

Ned Kelly
11-11-2004, 14:20
f******g oath. i worked with a couple of militant "priyatnovo appetita"-wishers. there were times, usually really hungover, where i'd make an excuse to go to mcdonalds because i couldn;t face a half hour of it straight.

Filimon
11-11-2004, 14:20
I think you have misunderstood the custom, or rather understood it the wrong way round. It is customary to say "priyatnogo appetita" when entering the dining room, but no answer is usually expected precisely because people are already eating. In some places people who catch your eye as you say "priyatnogo appetita" will nod, but it's not a must.

Kshisya
11-11-2004, 14:21
oi and I feel so bad after last night! :rolleyes: I don't remember how it happened that I swapped pina colada for your guys damn margarita but my head is really bad....:eh:...:cry: I don't want to work!!!!!! I want to go home!!!!! :cry:

:suspect:

Ned Kelly
11-11-2004, 14:22
i know man. and it's a nice idea to apologise for interrupting someone eating. but people can get pretty hardcore about it.

sfjohns67
11-11-2004, 14:22
What a *****! Just because they want you to enjoy your lunch, you gotta go all PMS on em? Would it make you feel better if they walked in the room and said "I hope you choke on your Spam-n-eggs, you cheap redneck *******!" or "Hey, gimme a bite o that sammitch, Gator fag!" Geez, show some appreciation why don't you?!

Me, I get tired of shaking hands with the same friggin people every friggin morning, when I know they ain't warshed their hands the last time they went for a piss. How's that for giving you a priyatny apetit?

Fa-Q!
11-11-2004, 14:24
I know, Filimon, but not saying thanks is like not acknowledging someone. Everyone says thanks. I've been here working now for 3.5 years and I've paid attention. I can't not say thanks. Anyway, I know it's really cynical to feel the way i do about it, but on the other hand, it is kinda funny how Russians congragulate each other when they eat or get a bath.

Filimon
11-11-2004, 14:28
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
I know, Filimon, but not saying thanks is like not acknowledging someone. Everyone says thanks. I've been here working now for 3.5 years and I've paid attention. I can't not say thanks. Anyway, I know it's really cynical to feel the way i do about it, but on the other hand, it is kinda funny how Russians congragulate each other when they eat or get a bath.

I dunno... wherever I worked in Russia, whether it was on board a ship or an office, every person entering a canteen simply said "priyatnogo" (omitting "appetita" altogether) and DID NOT expect acknowledgement. It's no different to saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes or saying "How are you" as a a greeting when you could not care less about how that person is doing.

Fa-Q!
11-11-2004, 14:32
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
f******g oath. i worked with a couple of militant "priyatnovo appetita"-wishers. there were times, usually really hungover, where i'd make an excuse to go to mcdonalds because i couldn;t face a half hour of it straight.
Ha! I'm not alone!

Sunstorm
11-11-2004, 14:32
Don't they do the same in, say, France (bon appetit) or Holland (eet smaakelijke)?

I gotta say though that I know what you feel, Fa-Q... I hate this excessive politeness, especially that the same people who wish you PA can do something really upsetting next moment... like - make a noise when eating or drinking... eeewww...

sfjohns67
11-11-2004, 14:34
I also hate it when I tell a fart joke at the table and get the thousand-yard stare from everybody.

J.D.
11-11-2004, 15:05
Yeah I got some Russian friends that are always complaining to me that this American they work with is always running around saying 'thank you'. It drives them crazy. They wish he would just shut the **** up and eat his lunch.

DPG
11-11-2004, 15:06
Originally posted by Filimon
saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes or saying "How are you" as a a greeting

To which Brits and Americans will habitually reply, Thank you and Fine/good thanks respectfully.

The problem that Fa-Q! describes comes about because of the difference in our two customs - you Russians always say Priyatnovo Apettita, and we Brits and Americans will always say thanks!!

At least it makes for a nice long lunch break - annoying if you are starving and simply wish to throw food down your throat with reckless abandon though!!

Filimon
11-11-2004, 15:12
well, actually it is not customary to reply "thank you" to "bless you" as far as I could notice. Usually the sneezer says "excuse me" whether he has been "blessed" or not :)

DPG
11-11-2004, 15:14
I disagree...

In fact there was the famous advert for "Tunes" (sweets) a few years (10?) back where the catch phrase used throughout the advert was "bless you", "thank you"...!

J.D.
11-11-2004, 15:17
I would say that a 'thank you' is culturally required in response to a 'bless you'.

Shatneresque
11-11-2004, 15:18
Originally posted by Sunstorm
Don't they do the same in, say, France (bon appetit) or Holland (eet smaakelijke)?

And in Czecho-Slovakia ("Dobrou chut!") and Germany ("Guten Appetit!").

(In America, by the way, it's customary to say "Gesundheit!" when someone sneezes, not "Bless you!")

P.I.M.P.
11-11-2004, 15:20
I personally don't like all the hand shaking. Everyone that comes to work has to shake hands with everyone else. What's wromg with just a simple "good morning?" Same goes with other places... 2 or 3 sellers at my neighborhood rinok also meet me with an extended handshake. The worst is the gym. I need to hit the weights and the morning crowd (gym staff included) all shake sweaty hands with each other. I don't know how to smile and keep my hand at bay while not offending the others?

DPG
11-11-2004, 15:21
P.I.M.P. - Try putting your hands together and bowing Japanese style instead of shaking hands!!;-)

Kshisya
11-11-2004, 15:32
Originally posted by sfjohns67
I also hate it when I tell a fart joke at the table and get the thousand-yard stare from everybody.

:rolleyes: jailhouse manners :rolleyes:

:p

Lady Marmalade
11-11-2004, 20:21
(In America, by the way, it's customary to say "Gesundheit!" when someone sneezes, not "Bless you!")

Well, being only a humble Canadian and not perhaps as mighty as the neighbors down south I have to say "CRAP" to that assumption be it North or South and a thousand apologies by the way. Most people will acknowledge it, perhaps use it and most of them will understand it, but as it is German and does mean technically "to your health" or at least something along that line it would not be the first thing to our minds unless it was something used in the family or colloquially. As for the Priyatna stuff, smile and nod, it's what I do, seems to work, they forgive me that I don't understand even when I do and that seems to work in my favour.

kniga
11-11-2004, 20:34
Faritova,

"Gesundheit!" has long been used in America when someone sneezes, although it may be going out of usage as newer generations come along and don't bother to say either "Gesundheit!" or "God bless you!" or "Bless you!" because they have their MP3s plugged in their ears and are too busy doing text messaging to notice that anyone around them has sneezed.

plastique
11-11-2004, 21:09
HEY!!!! QUIT YER WHINING YOU SPOILED EXPATS...this site has officially become a no venting, no saying anything bad about anything pertaining to dear ole perfect mother russia....we all need to get the hell out with out whining selves and take all our fat pocketbooks with us because we are not needed...

Sheepy
11-11-2004, 21:13
...and will the last one to leave please remember to switch off the lights! :p

kniga
11-11-2004, 21:47
Plastique,

You have come full circle today...

Maine Surfer
11-11-2004, 21:52
Plastique,
what's up girl? You've been angry lately :( Drown your sorrow in lager tommorow night

plastique
11-11-2004, 22:42
sorry if i am coming across angry...hard to get smiles across on the net...i could employ the death by emoticon technique....

moscowmail
11-11-2004, 22:46
Originally posted by plastique
sorry if i am coming across angry...hard to get smiles across on the net...i could employ the death by emoticon technique....

You need ot get ermmm emotional with your man... or is it something a little deeper :) cheer up P, we miss the P we love...

plastique
11-11-2004, 22:54
ok

Braders
12-11-2004, 00:36
FAQ for your next meal 'priyantovo appetita!' ;)

koba65
12-11-2004, 07:54

Me, I get tired of shaking hands with the same friggin people every friggin morning, when I know they ain't warshed their hands the last time they went for a ****. How's that for giving you a priyatny apetit?

Yeah, uh, sorry about that Sfj - did you notice my hands were still moist?

sfjohns67
12-11-2004, 09:03
Sick bastidge - you told me you just spilled your beer!

koba65
12-11-2004, 09:15
Sick bastidge - you told me you just spilled your beer!

Well, "technically" I did "spill" my beer, it just had to travel via a special "filter."

Halyavshik
12-11-2004, 09:20
Originally posted by koba65
Well, "technically" I did "spill" my beer, it just had to travel via a special "filter."

Beer. Can't buy it. You just rent it for a while.

plastique
12-11-2004, 09:30
same thoery applies to taco bell hal...

sfjohns67
12-11-2004, 10:57
...and breakfasts from Starlite Diner, judging by the cross-legged crab walk I did up Tverskaya this morning to keep from sh*tting myself before I got to the office.

plastique
12-11-2004, 11:13
dude...you are so lucky i wasn't drinking anthing when i read that.

CatGirl
05-05-2005, 21:03
What a *****! Just because they want you to enjoy your lunch, you gotta go all PMS on em? Would it make you feel better if they walked in the room and said "I hope you choke on your Spam-n-eggs, you cheap redneck *******!" or "Hey, gimme a bite o that sammitch, Gator fag!" Geez, show some appreciation why don't you?!

Me, I get tired of shaking hands with the same friggin people every friggin morning, when I know they ain't warshed their hands the last time they went for a piss. How's that for giving you a priyatny apetit?

Totally agree!! It's terrible!!

Especially that you know exactly IT exsists!!! Guash..awful

Lled
06-05-2005, 08:53
In view of your wholly justified tirade against excessive politeness at mealtimes etc I was just wondering what you fine North American types feel about your nation's goddamn penchant with wishing everyone a NICE DAY? Prats. If I don't reply, does that automatically mean I wish that your car burns with you in it? Well, maybe it's the case.

Have a nice day.

Good thread by the way, rep points (as if he cared) to my finely tattoed friend SFJsomething for being rude as usual :thumbsup:

veejay
06-05-2005, 09:09
it's rather like how we americans are so terribly interested in how every one is getting on...that ever-so-polite question we ask upon greeting anyone...'how are you?' mind, we don't bother most days to wait for a reply...and we can actually discern how you are doing based on one's facial expressions upon hearing the 'greeting'...:-)

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 09:13
it's rather like how we americans are so terribly interested in how every one is getting on...that ever-so-polite question we ask upon greeting anyone...'how are you?' mind, we don't bother most days to wait for a reply...and we can actually discern how you are doing based on one's facial expressions upon hearing the 'greeting'...:-)

What do some ppl mean by sayng "Take care" to any person they have just met? Why do they say it (Beregi sebya) to that person they really DON'T care at all?! - The same "greeting", eh?

Lled
06-05-2005, 09:16
Wow, snap! We ask people "how are you?" too and WE don't care either, even if their wife just left them for a bloke earning more money and swinging a larger kn*b.

We just all like to say stuff don't we.

I would also like a fully referenced, footnoted explanation to "How do you do?"

sparky
06-05-2005, 09:22
I would also like a fully referenced, footnoted explanation to "How do you do?"

How do you do = Are you getting any :agree:

Ref: ED Dictionary of famous greetings and farewells

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 09:36
Surely I have to add How do you do THIS?

All ppl are chatterboxes! :evilgrin:

Really making no sense by sayng those stupidnesses!! :devil:

sparky
06-05-2005, 09:38
Surely I have to add How do you do THIS?

Nope, the greeting is a plain 'How do you do?'

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 09:43
Well, I thought that how-do-you-do is for official terms, isn't it? A greeting?!

Lled
06-05-2005, 09:43
Nope, the greeting is a plain 'How do you do?'

With the appropriate answer being: "Do what?"

Regards

Mr Language Person

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 09:44
With the appropriate answer being: "Do what?"

Regards

Mr Language Person

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup:

sparky
06-05-2005, 09:47
I am doing very well, thank you for asking

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 09:48
Who Cares???!??? :evilgrin: :D

sparky
06-05-2005, 09:49
Who Cares???!??? :evilgrin: :D

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 09:52
So, nobody.
:evilgrin:

sparky
06-05-2005, 09:53
So, nobody. [CENTER]

[CENTER] :evilgrin:

Then don't ask, the greeting is no different to 'kak dela'

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 09:56
Then don't ask, the greeting is no different to 'kak dela' I'm
:jester: -ing!!

How's your mother?
How's your father?
How's your sister?
How's your brother?
How's your life going?
How's your your doggy?
How's your cat?
. . .
Answer please, we all are very eager to know!!

:) :) :) :) :)

Lled
06-05-2005, 09:57
I'm

How's your mother?
How's your father?
How's your sister?
How's your brother?
How's your life going?
How's your your doggy?
How's your cat?
. . .

How's your therapy coming along?

sparky
06-05-2005, 09:58
I'm

How's your mother?
How's your father?
How's your sister?
How's your brother?
How's your life going?
How's your your doggy?
How's your cat?
. . .

Well
Dead
Well
Well
Very Well
Alive, but in the UK
Never had one

Thanks for asking, and have a nice day now :thumbsup:

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 10:07
Ok. Who c.... oh, sorry.. Everybody care about you!!! :hooray:

what a nonsense..

Cherry
06-05-2005, 10:13
Well
Dead
Well
Well
Very Well
Alive, but in the UK
Never had one

Thanks for asking, and have a nice day now :thumbsup:

I CARE :D

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 10:18
Well
Dead
Well
Well
Very Well
Alive, but in the UK
Never had one

and where are the details? :D Okey-Okey... :agree: Cherry cares.
:evilgrin: :thumbsup:

TinyToes
06-05-2005, 10:19
How's your therapy coming along?

!!!!!!!

sparky
06-05-2005, 10:21
I CARE :D

Thanks Cherry :D

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 10:24
Electric Dave!! Now it's your turn!! Do you care fpr smb exept Cherry - Berry?

Cherry
06-05-2005, 10:27
Thanks Cherry :D

please tell me everything about you!
EVERY LITTLE THING! :agree:

1. Сonception
2. Birth
3. Childhood
4. School
5. College
6. work
7. family
8. pets
9. Religion
10. Political views
11. fav.music/book/movie/country/hobbie

;)

sparky
06-05-2005, 10:33
Now these should be discussed over dinner and good bottle of wine :shhhhhh:

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 10:34
PM - saves you ;)

sparky
06-05-2005, 10:35
Electric Dave!! Now it's your turn!! Do you care fpr smb exept Cherry - Berry?

Of course, I care for you too cosmogirl, that's why I was so upset when you said you didn't care :wavey:

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 10:38
TT where did you find this lled's msg? ;) :p

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 10:39
Of course, I care for you too cosmogirl, that's why I was so upset when you said you didn't care :wavey:
Oh... I am impressed & surprised the same way.. Thank you! :iloveyou:

Cherry
06-05-2005, 10:41
Now these should be discussed over dinner and good bottle of wine :shhhhhh:
:cry: which means NEVER????

CatGirl
06-05-2005, 10:44
You guys plan the meeting so...!

well,,,

1) the date
2) the place
3) the time
4) smth else.. ;)

I CARE about you two!!!! :D :D

Cherry
06-05-2005, 10:46
You guys plan the meeting so...!

well,,,

1) the date
2) the place
3) the time
4) smth else.. ;)

I CARE about you two!!!! :D :D

you're a funny creature Cosmo! :nut: :nut: :agree:

Fa-Q!
06-05-2005, 15:02
I remember in the movie Gung Ho with Michael Keaton, he asks the Japanese businessman "How you doing?" and the guy replies with "Well, I'm actually having a slight bowel problem", to which it's replied that noone really cares how you are, it's just a greeting. Funny, though.

Braders
06-05-2005, 15:04
I remember in the movie Gung Ho with Michael Keaton, he asks the Japanese businessman "How you doing?" and the guy replies with "Well, I'm actually having a slight bowel problem", to which it's replied that noone really cares how you are, it's just a greeting. Funny, though.

48 words and not a single profanity! Our policies are working! ;)

Fa-Q!
06-05-2005, 15:06
F your f'ing policies! I guess i just need to get back on the bottle. I'm turning all decent and shit.

Lled
06-05-2005, 15:06
Hidden profanities, bad boy FAQ

Fa-Q!
06-05-2005, 15:15
You caught me, dude! It takes a mighty keen eye to pick up on that one. Pls don't report me.

gerol2000
06-05-2005, 16:07
When entering dining room you may just get on the chair to be well-observed by the audience and say loudly "priyanigo appetita to everybody" and then in long pause enjoy your meal or stunning applouse! :thumbsup: