PDA

View Full Version : More Crap I Don't Get

plastique
10-11-2004, 20:35
Is that a better more diplomatic title FA-Q????

Why is it that a Russian can blow his nose in his own hand or farmer snot without care...they can put thier fingers in every orafice on their bodies and then touch everything around them, piss and puke at will, but if I dare enter anywhere and try to keep my jacket because I am cold then I am the most uncultured spawn of the devil that has ever walked the earth. Then I am expected to stand in the huge line wasting precious time retrieving it.

Too many times have i had to shiver, wonder if I am going to get the right coat back, will everything be in it when i get it back....Yes...if it is wet, ok check it...i can see that.

Again.....to BARNEY IT down before certain people mount up, WHY did this come about. What happened in the past to zombify everyone into forking over their coat.....

was is the fact that noone went to resturants and when they did they were so upscale..or...it was easier to do at the theater so you didn't have to sit with it at your seat and it became a custom so indoctrinated that noone questioned it? Does it go to the Everyone works theory (mess) that has created so much redundancy that coat checkers became vital to the economy?

I don't mind checking my coat every once in a while and sometimes i'd prefer to get rid of it, but i'd like to have the OPTION instead of the Nazi-fication the process has become. We are expected to respect everything and not question how it is done, but why be so authoritarian and not respect the fact that that is not how things are done in other parts of the world!

ok...get the horses and tell me (again) how bad I am and how I need to go home and blah blah blah, or read again and answer my question as to WHAT HAPPENED TO MAKE THIS COME ABOUT!!!

Jim434
10-11-2004, 20:42
Plastique,

Easy girl! relax. It's the only chance they get to plant and service the tracking devices...It's nothing personal...really.

Kingwillhe
10-11-2004, 20:54
but for different reasons!

As a guy I don't have a purse (usually) and tend to store everything in my jacket, large Italian wallet, keys, cell, passport etc. That's why I luv this time of year. Dragging all this stuff to my seat be it the theater or restaurant, whatever is a drag.

And I canít feel comfortable if my stuff is all in my jacket out of sight.

sir Gay
10-11-2004, 20:55
when in rome...

Kingwillhe
10-11-2004, 21:00
Originally posted by sir Gay
when in rome...

LOL, your bag of choice sir?

sir Gay
10-11-2004, 21:05
Originally posted by Kingwillhe
LOL, your bag of choice sir?

fortunately, i can't impose my preferences on general public;)

plastique
10-11-2004, 21:09
ummm...I was in Rome three weeks ago...didn't have to do that bullcrap once....not once...

sir Gay
10-11-2004, 21:18
Originally posted by plastique
ummm...I was in Rome three weeks ago...didn't have to do that bullshit once....not once...

people do travel, right, this happens. but it's a proverb reflecting international wisdom about how we can't change other nations' traditions (though the states are idealistically trying to change the situation worldwide). but still, every nation has its habbits, regardless of what representatives of superpowers believe in...

plastique
10-11-2004, 21:38
WHY IS THIS A HABIT!!! why the hell can't anyone on this site answer a simple question!!!! WHY IS IT A TRADITION! TELL ME SO I CAN STOP GETTING ******* OFF!!! If I understand why this is the only place on earth that demands the surrender of personal belongings upon entery in pretty much every establishment then I will try to respect the actions...

plastique
10-11-2004, 21:39
and King....remember most Russian guys carry around the stupid euro man purse thing so they don't share in your problem...that would explain the man purse craze I guess.

sir Gay
10-11-2004, 21:52
WHY IS THIS A HABIT!!! why the hell can't anyone on this site answer a simple question!!!! WHY IS IT A TRADITION! TELL ME SO I CAN STOP GETTING PISSED OFF!!! If I understand why this is the only place on earth that demands the surrender of personal belongings upon entery in pretty much every establishment then I will try to respect the actions...

maybe it's due to sanitation reasons in hospitals and public catering establishments? and when in cinema/theatre... our russian seats are rather small, not devised for an average american, not enough room for people in full armour :)

why?! have you a fur coat you would like to show off?

Kingwillhe
10-11-2004, 21:53
ya know, i don't have any problem with purses for guy's, or bags or whatever you want to call them (6 of one, half dozen of the other if ya know what i mean)...but these Euro things which I have seen in Italy, France, and now Russia are an unfortunate fashion craze.

wrong size, uncomfortable, like a lunch bucket that you can't fit a sandwich in. i have a Trussardi bag which i steal from my wife whenever i need something, over the sholder, versatile.

I think I should go get a drink, discussing baggage on the net...who hoo!!!;)

Billy T
10-11-2004, 22:22
Sorry plastique but that isnt the only place...was in Vancouver Canada a few years ago, went to half a dozen clubs, every one made us surrender our coats....maybe its people in cold countries want to not be reminded that they have to go about 9 months of the year in a coat...I know...weak explanation...but hey it's all I got

Ghost
10-11-2004, 22:29
Maybe they thought you were sexA and wanted to see you without that bulky ass coat.

Maine Surfer
10-11-2004, 22:29
easy gal :) remember 14 years ago this was a communist country. You could even think what you wanted. I see some progress- from mind control to coat check control. not bad at all :)

P.I.M.P.
10-11-2004, 22:38
You gotta love the "barsetka"

In a country where the most macho guys of them all wear Adidas gym pants with "elf" pointy and square toe shoes and cute little bags like this. :)

Polia Ivanova
10-11-2004, 22:45
About 10 years ago I was working in the office of a famous Dutch company in Moscow and remember a Russian cleaning lady complaining that a Dutch manager can speak to her and scratch his a** at the same time.

Time flies, doesn't it?

kniga
10-11-2004, 22:55
Plastique,

Like in learning a foreign language, "Why?" is the wrong question. It doesn't matter why the Russians want to have you deposit your coat when you enter many establishments. What matters, like in a foreign language, is that you understand how they do things. Then relax, it's just the way things are when you're not at home.

J.D.
10-11-2004, 23:38
First off Kat, you're from a place that doesn't have cloak rooms, same as Italy. If you had grown up then-I mean, if you had grown up in the North then it wouldn't seem strange to you.
Second off, have you forgotten? THIS IS RUSSIA! Things are different here. I hate giving up my jacket too but they usually let me keep it if I take it off and put it over my arm, then as soon as I'm around the corner I put it back on.

Or if you bought a decent looking jacket maybe they'd let you keep it.

Filimon
10-11-2004, 23:58
Why in Russia you absolutely have to give up your coat when you come to the restaurant?

Why is it acceptable in UK to loudly blow your nose in public but sniffing is frowned upon?

Why is it when the rest of the world shake their head when they want to sat "no", but in Bulgaria they actually nod?

Why is it against the law in many states of the USA to drink alcohol in public but it's OK if you keep it in a brown bag? It's still alcohol, isn't it? And people still know you are drinking it, right?

Why is it everywhere in the world making a little "o" with your forefinger and your thumb means "OK" but in Brazil it means "a*sehole"?

Why putting your feet up in UK means you are resting but in China showing your soles is one of the greatest insults?

Why is the world round?

85StonePolarBear
11-11-2004, 00:02
I wish the malls and bigger supermarkets would have cloakrooms too (I think Mega Mall actually does have one for the food court) - I don't want to wear my coat when shopping just as I don't want to bother having to watch it when I am eating at a restaurant.

DPG
11-11-2004, 01:32
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
I wish the malls and bigger supermarkets would have cloakrooms too (I think Mega Mall actually does have one for the food court) - I don't want to wear my coat when shopping just as I don't want to bother having to watch it when I am eating at a restaurant.

Agreed - It's one thing I like here that there are free cloakrooms provided almost everywhere. In the UK you often have to pay (if there is indeed one to use).

That said, I don't enjoy it when I am left without the choice of whether or not I wish to put away my coat or keep it with me.

tbill
11-11-2004, 09:08
Plastique,

I have the opposite problem. I can't get rid of my jacket fast enough because I find most buildings extremely overheated. Of course I am a big guy and you are a petite little lady.

Halyavshik
11-11-2004, 09:24
Hmm. I thought the answer was a bit more obvious.

Plastique, Russia is a dirty place. I mean really dirty. As any car-owner will tell you, even when it's dry and hot out, you need to wash your ride once a week or the accumulated windshield dirt blocks out the sun. Russians take their shoes off in an apartment for a reason, and it's not because they like the feel of shag carpeting on their sock feet. The ground and streets here are dirty, and you best not be tracking that stuff all over the place (especially if your living space is small and cramped as it is).

Have you ever noticed that clothes require so much more frequent washings here ?

Wearing your coat inside past the 'garderob' is forcing others to experience your dirt.

As for your comparison to farmer-blowing, nose draining snots, it's not a double standard. Just as most Russians will take off their coats, most won't hock nose-loogeys at the bus-stop. There are those in any society who feel less obligated to abide by the norms. Chances are, the farmer-blows are done by the same people who wouldn't take their coats off either.

Next time you see that, consider yourself a cut above. You take your coat off, and you appreciate that others do to.

plastique
11-11-2004, 10:52
YEAH Halyavshik ( can you please get a Nick that I can spell for once without having to cut and paste_

I figured it was because of the dirt and crap, but I was wondering if there was more to it than an answer that simple.

I don't have the most beautiful coat, and when i go to a club hellz yea I wanna ditch it unless i can leave it in the car.

I guess i would like an option of keeping it with me though sometimes, and when i cut in front of everyone in line to get it after an event remember that i didn't want to give it up in the first place....

Shall we next dizcuss the Nazi coatcheck women and what they do to you when your coat comes without a built in hangy hook!!!

sfjohns67
11-11-2004, 10:56
At the theater, ask the Nazi coatcheck grannies for a set of binoculars, which will cost you 30-50 rubles. They'll change their tune quickly, because you're giving them money which they DO pocket. In addition, the binoculars give you the right to go straight to the head of the line when it's time to get your coat back after the play.

plastique
11-11-2004, 10:58
oh! I forgot a little trick i was once told....If there is a huge line outside a club and you (being a cute girl) have no coat on the bouncers will let you and your group to the front and in quicker...
(i'd say stand there a nd freeze your stupis butt off, but eh....)

exprumos
11-11-2004, 11:06
I don't agree that we should put on white coats in hospitals. Who can honestly say that those things are cleaner than my clothes? Especially when people bring their own white coats, which haven't been washed in 20 years. Revolting and bug-infested. It is purely a case of the brainwashing not having worn off yet.
The same with coatchecks. I once was not allowed into the hospital where my wife was caring for our 2-day old baby, because the lady from the gardrobe was gone for her lunch. I nearly got arrested beacuse I went in myself and hung up my coat. Stupid, stupid, stupid rules.

plastique
11-11-2004, 11:08
but unfortunately no one here sees it like that....its the "that's how it's always been done" mentality! AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

ps. exprumos dude, unless you are big bugga reincarnate could you change your avatar cuz you keep confusing me!

kniga
11-11-2004, 12:12
Plastique,

You are amusingly self-centered and stubbornly resistent to facts as they are. The "But, that's the way we've always done things," mentality is worldwide, not just a Moscow infestation. Surely you must have learned by now that the rule for safe and sane survival in a foreign country is, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." You seem bent on changing this sage advice to, "When in Rome, shoot off Roman candles!"

peyote
11-11-2004, 12:18
Originally posted by kniga
Plastique,

You are amusingly self-centered and stubbornly resistent to facts as they are. The "But, that's the way we've always done things," mentality is worldwide, not just a Moscow infestation. Surely you must have learned by now that the rule for safe and sane survival in a foreign country is, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." You seem bent on changing this sage advice to, "When in Rome, shoot off Roman candles!" i bet shooting candles is fun
:D

plastique
11-11-2004, 12:18
u have used this logic on more than one occassion master JEDI....please come up with a diffferent catch phrase...

But the world has alwasy been flat...why bother to check and see.
But candle light is really ok to read by who needs electricity...

If people don't question how things are done if they are perceived to be done in a fooheaerty manner then society stagnates. Granted, meodricity is the rule and norm everywhere...I just like being a step above.

and nowhere is it more manifest than here...people are resistent to change for many reasons (look at who we just put back in the White House)

(but man purses...really!!!)

Filimon
11-11-2004, 12:19
Originally posted by exprumos
I don't agree that we should put on white coats in hospitals. Who can honestly say that those things are cleaner than my clothes? Especially when people bring their own white coats, which haven't been washed in 20 years. Revolting and bug-infested. It is purely a case of the brainwashing not having worn off yet.
The same with coatchecks. I once was not allowed into the hospital where my wife was caring for our 2-day old baby, because the lady from the gardrobe was gone for her lunch. I nearly got arrested beacuse I went in myself and hung up my coat. Stupid, stupid, stupid rules.

White coats are there because the dust can be more easily seen on them, not because they are more sterile than you beloved black Gucci shirt! Same with blood and other stains, which may not be easily spotted on a colourful garment.

plastique
11-11-2004, 12:20
Originally posted by peyote
i bet shooting candles is fun
:D

we stood out in the street last year and had a roman candle battle...it was fun till the babushka threatened to call the cops because of the noise.

it's ok to shoot your arm off because we sell fireworks to anyone..gut gimme that dang coat.

Halyavshik
11-11-2004, 12:21
I think it's naive and condescending to label things you don't udnerstand a result of 'brainwashing'. I mean, I get the inference of Sovietness, but it's not like Soviets did things for no reason. Sure, some of it may indeed be inefficient or dated, but that doesn't mean we can't understand it.

And it's not just, 'do as the Romans do' either. Give locals some credit and learn the reasoning behind it.

It's when you just shrug your shoulders that the lack of clarity and confusion leads to communication barriers and prevents cultural adapatation.

You don't have to like it, but try at least to understand it.

plastique
11-11-2004, 12:25
Originally posted by Halyavshik

And it's not just, 'do as the Romans do' either. Give locals some credit and learn the reasoning behind it.

You don't have to like it, but try at least to understand it.

DOES ANYONE READ ANYMORE....what did i say when I started the thread...wait..i'll get it...

kniga
11-11-2004, 12:33
Plastique,

"u have used this logic on more than one occassion master JEDI....please come up with a diffferent catch phrase..."

Love it! Cool response! :-) :-) :-)

"If people don't question how things are done if they are perceived to be done in a fooheaerty manner then society stagnates."

Very good, Grasshopper, but you make my point with your own words..."perceived to be done in a foolhearty manner..." What you indicate is that you do not like the way some things are done here, but that does not make them foolhearty, just different. I think you'll get a lot of agreement among the expat community that there are many strange and inexplicable habits and customs in Russia which often irritate our western sensibilities, but I doubt that your howling in the wind about them will garner much sympathy unless you are willing to admit that you are just venting, which is something we all do from time to time. Your "Why do the Russians do..." questions are just silly.

Halyavshik
11-11-2004, 12:34
DOES ANYONE READ ANYMORE....what did i say when I started the thread...wait..i'll get it...

That actually was not directed at you, Plas.

kniga
11-11-2004, 12:39
Halfasack,

Yes, let's not give Plastique any unintended grief. Your remark was directed at me, and I answer by saying that a proverb has more than just the words that make it up. The wisdom of proverbs that last in a language is because they represent the common sense wisdom of the people, and therefore it is more than obvious that one not only needs to follow local customs so as not to offend the locals, but it pays to learn what these customs are about so as to provide a better understanding of the people and culture of your host country.

Crazyeelboy
11-11-2004, 12:39
Perhaps there is a totally banal explanation for the coat check thing. My guess is that the people that are hired for this are just doing their jobs, and they were told to take the coats, so they do it. I never really saw any deeper cultural aspect to it.

Now, if you want to get me going, why is there always only one door working for both entry and exit in most places (best example - see Central Telegraph on Tverskaya)?

Halyavshik
11-11-2004, 12:41
Halfasack,

Yes, let's not give Plastique any unintended grief. Your remark was directed at me, and I answer by saying that a proverb has more than just the words that make it up. The wisdom of proverbs that last in a language is because they represent the common sense wisdom of the people, and therefore it is more than obvious that one not only needs to follow local customs so as not to offend the locals, but it pays to learn what these customs are about so as to provide a better understanding of the people and culture of your host country.

Actually, it wasn't directed at you either, Knig. I was taking objection to just writing off everything as 'brainwashing'. Doing as the Romans do isn't necessarily wrong; I just think the sentiment's only halfway expressed.

Filimon
11-11-2004, 12:45
I bet every country has quite a few customs that will invariably irritate rather than amuse everyone who lives there for more than 6 months. I am warning you people - do not get me started on the things I find irritating in Great Britain! :)

M-C
11-11-2004, 12:45
I got an answer for the cloakroom thing when I asked, Plastique: one of the reasons is the dirt, Russians are notoriously paranoid about "dirt from outside", another is the sheer bulk of winter clothing necessary here (it wouldn't have fit on a theatre chair), yet another was (is??) the smell as winter clothes didn't get changed and the last, as a little old man told me at a cloakroom, is that the communists wanted to change it and let people go in as they liked but didn't succeed !!! So it's an old timer that has survived a lot and should be respected as such;)

kniga
11-11-2004, 12:53
Halfasack,

O.K., I see your point; thanks for the clarification.

plastique
11-11-2004, 12:56
Thank You M-C... We can all attest to the smell and know about the dirt so this is very reasonable...

so when i plead my case becuse i am freezing and don't want to give up my coat, i state that I am not dirty or smelly.

Fa-Q!
11-11-2004, 12:57
Halfasack! Ha! Halyavshik-Huiyavshik, blya!

plastique
11-11-2004, 13:01
Plastique,

I think you'll get a lot of agreement among the expat community that there are many strange and inexplicable habits and customs in Russia which often irritate our western sensibilities, but I doubt that your howling in the wind about them will garner much sympathy unless you are willing to admit that you are just venting, which is something we all do from time to time. Your "Why do the Russians do..." questions are just silly.

I am venting, but seriously, I like to find out the reasons behind the actions so i can understand why things have come to pass as they have. so to me they are not silly questions if i can get the reasoning behind the actions.

why in Pittsburgh is there a resturant that serves sandwitches with anything you want on them and then put the coleslaw and french fries inbetween the bread....seems strange and disgusting right? the story behind it is that the resturant was a big stop fro truckers with no time or silverware so they put the whole meal between the bread for ease...see things that have a reason make more sense!

plastique
11-11-2004, 13:02
Originally posted by Crazyeelboy
Perhaps there is a totally banal explanation for the coat check thing. My guess is that the people that are hired for this are just doing their jobs, and they were told to take the coats, so they do it. I never really saw any deeper cultural aspect to it.

Now, if you want to get me going, why is there always only one door working for both entry and exit in most places (best example - see Central Telegraph on Tverskaya)?

Yes...another very good question.....

Go...discuss!!! go!!!! one worthy to be included in the Why do they series also known as piss everyone you can off....

kniga
11-11-2004, 13:06
Plastique,

If you knew the origins of every custom, habit or personal oddity exhibited by Russians (or Romans), would it change your dislike or upset they cause you?

plastique
11-11-2004, 13:13
I would like to state that I have been upset by only TWO things here...and they both involve checking personal belongings...

i don't give a hoot about every custom/habit or personal oddity..i deal with it..it is very rarely i get to the point where i will post another in my series...

but soap+water=clean/non-smelly....There! that's it! I am done...the masses have spoken....the series is retired.

plastique
11-11-2004, 13:14
ps...just like to state that i was in rome and it was great....loved it...no problems whatsoever...

kniga
11-11-2004, 13:26
Platique,

Like your nick, it just takes the right fuse to set you off! :-) :-) :-)

plastique
11-11-2004, 13:32
acturally my nick comes from the stuff i do...develop the plastique culture of the actor...bendy, flexible, fluid, non rigid....

plas'teek

J.D.
11-11-2004, 13:41
I'm always curious about customs and quirks. It makes me crazy when I ask someone why they are doing something, or worse yet, why they are making me do something and they have no clue. This one doesn't bother me but they have no idea why they are ripping the reciepts. But they do it religiously.

plastique
11-11-2004, 13:45
AHA! but i know why the receipts are ripped!!!! In the Soviet stores (some still here today) u did that see what you want, go pay, come back and get it...it was to show that you received everything on your receipt so you couldn't come back and get two jars of pickles on one receipt whilst only paying for one.....you crafty sly dog you...

J.D.
11-11-2004, 13:51
and I know it too but the clerks in stores that don't have that system still do it and they don't know why.
You should add that too your crusade.

Then start working on why lines go to the right instesd of straight back.
That is in the rare case of lines.

Filimon
11-11-2004, 14:24
Originally posted by J.D.
and I know it too but the clerks in stores that don't have that system still do it and they don't know why.
You should add that too your crusade.

Then start working on why lines go to the right instesd of straight back.
That is in the rare case of lines.

what lines?

Fa-Q!
11-11-2004, 14:29
Qeues ( i don't remember how you european islanders spell it).

Filimon
11-11-2004, 14:37
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
Qeues ( i don't remember how you european islanders spell it).

"queues" you mean :D

These were not rare in the 80s and then they were not "lines" strictly speaking, they were gatherings of people trying to buy something or get somewhere first. Having said that if you tried to jump the queue in them days you ran a very serious risk of being maimed or killed! :)

DJ Biscuit
11-11-2004, 14:40
Line? *sniff* did someone say line? ;)

I don't mind the polite bits, it's the overwhelming impoliteness that gets me down.

Kshisya
11-11-2004, 15:00
:rolleyes: I may be completely stupid but didn't get at all what is the issue with taking your coat off.

Do you people wear coats when at home???? there is clothes to be worn inside and clothes that is for outside.

And dont ya tell all that bull**t bout choice :evilgrin: if you go to ANY NORMAL restaurant ALL over the world ( including the Sates ) you'd have to leave your coat in the cloakroom and would never sit at the table "the way YOU prefer".

I personally don't find it nice when in Albion or Har Rock for example some ppl at the bar wearing T-shirts and some wander around wearing coats - it just LOOKS messy and as for me I think it is purely bad manners.

However, I could recommend you a few drinking outlets where you can wear whatever you please and don't ever take your coat off or just cpome naked and actually where you can even stay for a sleep right at the "bar" for like 50 rbls bribe...ya know vodka is something like 15-20 rbls there you guys would enjoy :p

plastique as for your saying that you get freezed inside when not wearing coat, hon, I think you should just dress in a smarter way. I mean in Moscow the climate is severe so you just find better ways to dress so you feel confortable both inside and in the street.

Kshisya
11-11-2004, 15:06
and as for checking...both on purses and coats....I might live in some other city :D but honestly nobody ever checked my coat :D purses well sometimes but very rearly and mostloy at clubs where I don't mind them doing it coz I would like some drunk to use some gas spray on the dance floor ;)...

Maine Surfer
11-11-2004, 15:06
I personally have no problem checking in my coat. Actually like it. Back in ME we had to bring coats inside and keep them in our hands, now THAT sucked.

DJ Biscuit
11-11-2004, 15:08
Originally posted by Kshisya
I personally don't find it nice when in Albion or Har Rock for example some ppl at the bar wearing T-shirts and some wander around wearing coats - it just LOOKS messy and as for me I think it is purely bad manners.

Steady there girl. ;)

J.D.
11-11-2004, 15:14
K, I think you might have misunderstood the word 'check'.

I bet that more than half of the United States doesn't have cloak rooms. So it's a bit strange to most Americans for it to be REQUIRED to give up your coat.

Kshisya
11-11-2004, 15:23
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
Steady there girl. ;)

ne :rolleyes: Albion actually wasn't the best example, sorry :D there most of ppl wearing coats either just arrived or on the way to leave AND the ones sitting at the bar they have their coats OFF ;)

ok the exmple of a place where coats on would look in harmony with the place is Silver's bar..it's kind of a stand bar and the enviroment itself makes it possible for a mix of ppl dressed upto their choice ;)

So in 2 words my point is that taking coats inside = normal thing and good manners in vast majority of cases. there could be exceptions for that rule but a few. and it is not only in Moscow but EVERYWHERE :p

J.D. I understand that it might be not typical for some parts of the US especially the Southerners. However I don't see anything SO weird about having cloackrooms and a must to check your coat in there unless you grew up in some village and never travelled around and even never saw any movies :p

J.D.
11-11-2004, 15:27
Lets see, I haven't seen them in Mexico, or Central America or any of the Caribbean. Nor did I notice any in the middle east.

Kshisya
11-11-2004, 15:28
If I talk gibberish as always lets put it different way:

You wear bikini in the pool or at the beach only , right? :D
You wear pajamas in bed only, right? :D

AND :hooray:

You wear coats in the STREETS ONLY, so when inside you have to take them off and should feel lucky if there is a cloakroom around :p

PPS I also regret big malls like Atrium or Mega do not have cloakrooms as it is pretty inconvenient and I have to leave coats in the car :p

Kshisya
11-11-2004, 15:29
Originally posted by J.D.
Lets see, I haven't seen them in Mexico, or Central America or any of the Caribbean. Nor did I notice any in the middle east.

:rolleyes: yea they don't have them in Egypt as well as it is just a different climate and they just don't wear coats :p

dont start getting boring! I made my point clear - voila :p

85StonePolarBear
11-11-2004, 15:40
PPS I also regret big malls like Atrium or Mega do not have cloakrooms as it is pretty inconvenient and I have to leave coats in the car :p

Mega does have a cloakroom at the food court. I will check more carefully to see if it is meant only for the food court (most probably) and if there are any limits to its use next time I go, which could be this weekend. The one mall that definitely has a cloakroom is mega priced Crocus City, out there on the northern MKAD.

plastique
11-11-2004, 21:15
To clarify..to check one's coat and bag in this sense DOES NOT mean to have someone look through it...the phrase is used to mean to LEAVE one's coat or LEAVE one's bag out of one's sight.

I am from the North of the US and it does get damn cold there...we do not have coat checks. I have travelled to pretty darn cold climes and have had the option to check or not to check.

mabye what is bugging me is the randomness as to what Moscowvites choose to be kulturlny and ne kulturney.

I get very cold very easily....ask anyone who knows me...i am always cold....i wear two/three layers and still get cold....trust me i know how to dress, but amazingly sometimes i **gasp** still get cold.

kniga
11-11-2004, 21:52
Platique,

There is no randomness to what Muscovites consider to be kul'turnij or ne kul'turnij, there is just the influence of your own prejudice towards aspects of Russian culture you do not like/understand. And where have you been eating in the north of the U.S. that does not have coat checks, Sabrette hotdog stands?

plastique
11-11-2004, 21:55
where have you been eating that does....MANDITORY checks.

and no randomness???? what color is the sky in your world cuz it would be awesome to live there with you!!! it seems such a perfect place!!!!

J.D.
11-11-2004, 22:01
Somebody needs to go drinking tomorrow night.

maybe tomorrow morning. Whatya doin for breakfast tomorrow Kat?

kniga
11-11-2004, 22:06
Plastique,

Upscale restaurants provide places to check hats and coats, and while not mandatory, people by choice and custom check their outer garmets and don't take them in to the dining facilities. Women frequently will take a sweater where they know the air conditioning may be too cool for them, but I've never encountered a woman who makes as big a fuss about it as you do, m'lady.

And where I live is a near perfect place because I choose to make it so. You could live there, too, but it would take a mighty big attitude change for admission. :-)

alterego
11-11-2004, 22:09
Did Kniga just propose to Plastique!?

DPG
11-11-2004, 22:26
No, I think it was just an invitation to co-habit, but you never can tell what the future may hold!!:D

plastique
11-11-2004, 22:33
I love how things get so blown out of proportion here!!!
people by choice check them...if i am in an upscale place sure i'll do it, but places like Tinkoff (while they charge upscale prices) are BREW PUBS! not upscale eateries...none of the brew pubs i went to back home--and trust there were a lot of them---did this...

i tried to change the subject here to the door thing...i really tried!!!

i have no problem with the idea..i just have a problem with it being forced on me....just call it stubborn american woman syndrome....now i understand what you guys mean when listing reasons why you come here looking for brides....we american women are so unreasonable!!! i promised to be more obvios when i am joking!!! here goes: :) :D :p :p :nut: :thumbsup:

DPG
11-11-2004, 22:35
Plastique - I'm afraid you're going to have to give me your coat before I allow you to reply to any more threads!!:p

plastique
11-11-2004, 22:38
for you, anything....*swoon* *swoon*

kniga
11-11-2004, 22:45
DPG,

You sly devil you!

DPG
11-11-2004, 22:46
Indeed!

Plastique - I have your coat, now if you could kindly remove your sweater and jeans...!!!:D

Smurfette
11-11-2004, 22:48
ah yes, works every time eh DPG??!! ;)

plastique
11-11-2004, 22:48
YIKES!!!! Where do i find the ABORT JOKE/BACKFIRE button!!!! now for SFJ there's be no question....

DPG
11-11-2004, 22:50
Lol!

Was worth a try I suppose!

Smurfette
11-11-2004, 22:52
maybe its something that comes with age....

plastique
11-11-2004, 22:53
of couse since i have two shirts under my sweater and thermals under my jeans...your request is granted DPG...

kniga
11-11-2004, 22:54
DPG,

Outfoxed again, old boy! :-)

DPG
11-11-2004, 23:05
i have two shirts under my sweater and thermals under my jeans...

Kniga - that might be so for now, but this could be a long thread!!;)

plastique
11-11-2004, 23:12
what is this...strip poker thread????

Idiot Amin
11-11-2004, 23:14
Hey - let's have a Strip Poker game in Bardak! Too bad I do not know the rules or I would start the thread ;)!

Cocheese
12-11-2004, 00:15
And dont ya tell all that bull**t bout choice :evilgrin: if you go to ANY NORMAL restaurant ALL over the world ( including the Sates ) you'd have to leave your coat in the cloakroom and would never sit at the table "the way YOU prefer".

Sorry if this is a dead horse, but I've been to a fair share of both normal and fancy restaurants in Chicago, which should fall into the "ALL over the world" category. Among those that have a cloakroom (not all do), never have I been required to use it. And we don't always wear our coats inside the place, we put them on the seat next to us, on the backs of our seats, or on hooks that might be around. This isn't that strange.

I think I remember reading once, it might have been on this forum, that in Russia it's not common for people to take their coats indoors in the winter because the snow from the jackets will melt and create puddles/streams on the floor-I'm sure this isn't specific to Russia though.

DPG
12-11-2004, 00:20
To add a touch of reverse psychology to this thread, has anyone here been to a restaurant (there probably aren't any like it in Moscow) where if you are a man, upon sitting down "sans jacket", the head waiter will say:

"I think sir will be more comfortable in this...[as he hands you a suit jacket to wear!]"

??!

Kshisya
12-11-2004, 00:32
Originally posted by Cocheese
Sorry if this is a dead horse, but I've been to a fair share of both normal and fancy restaurants in Chicago, which should fall into the "ALL over the world" category. Among those that have a cloakroom (not all do), never have I been required to use it. And we don't always wear our coats inside the place, we put them on the seat next to us, on the backs of our seats, or on hooks that might be around. This isn't that strange.

I think I remember reading once, it might have been on this forum, that in Russia it's not common for people to take their coats indoors in the winter because the snow from the jackets will melt and create puddles/streams on the floor-I'm sure this isn't specific to Russia though.

:D okay maybe i was way to much but i thought tis a wind up thread, ain't it? ;)

Well you won't sit at the table wearing coat right? :D ok if they don't have a cloakroom we here also put our stuff on another sit or on the back of ours :D however why would one mind to have the coat hanging on the hangers in the cloakroom than having it all jammed on some chair or just making the mess of the place?

what's wrong with cloakrooms? :D:D

nice point re snow...never thught this way...interesting :rolleyes: will we ever have snow this year? ~sigh~

;)

DPG!!! :hooray: there are such places here!!! i can't name as i heard it a while ago like someone went to a restaurant and was offered a jacket! :hooray:

Sunstorm
12-11-2004, 00:43
I never thought about this "issue" before... I used to think that the cloak room is there for our convenience. And never did I think that those who prefers not to use it - "nekulturnie".
BTW, Plastique - do you really think the locals accept that spitting on the floor and whatever else yucky things some people do as "kulturny" versus your unwillingness to check your coat ? I must be missing some idea here...

What REALLY kills me in Moscow is the absolute must to take off your shoes when you come to someone's apartment... we didn't have that idiocy back at home.
Suppose you go to someone's birthday party. You wear a dress and nice shoes... and maybe even stockings (if applicable) ! At the door you have to take off your nice shoes and they give you some worn out smelly tapki... do I need to continue?

Cocheese
12-11-2004, 01:13
Sunstorm, the shoes thing isn't just in Russia. This is also done in Sweden, Norway, and most Middle East countries. This is a show of respect to the people that live there by not bringing in the dirt that you walked all over from the outside.

Sunstorm
12-11-2004, 01:18
Well... I think that THOSe who invite people to their homes, should first of all think of a convenience for their guests... that's fine if a guest wants to take off the shoes. But if the shoes is a part of the attire - making him/her take the shoes off - now THAT"S an ultimate disrespect!

J.D.
12-11-2004, 07:16
In the US I think it is generally considered a bit rude to ask your guests to take their shoes off. Very very few people do this. In Moscow I take my shoes off in my own flat because in Moscow my shoes get so damn dirty. I never ask my guests to take theirs off. Some do it automatically. If they ask me I assume that they don't really want to take them off and I tell them to leave them on. I also have a pack of inexpensive hotel slippers for my guests to use.

AND I have about two linear meters of coat hooks in my corridor and no one has ever asked about taking their coat off. They just do it automatically. . . but then again Plastique hasn't been to my flat yet.

Kshisya
12-11-2004, 11:07
Originally posted by Sunstorm
Well... I think that THOSe who invite people to their homes, should first of all think of a convenience for their guests... that's fine if a guest wants to take off the shoes. But if the shoes is a part of the attire - making him/her take the shoes off - now THAT"S an ultimate disrespect!

:D so you wanna tell me that you let your precious guests keep on the boots in winter and walk over your carpets so they felt convenient? :D

actually guests always can bring their extra shoes with them if they mind changing into tapochki or just want to keep the style :p

plastique
12-11-2004, 11:10
that's why we have mats at the doors and plastic runners all over our homes in the US. In america above all we are taught to think of others first and not worry about our own needs...hence the uncontrolled Political correctness that swept the nation...

Random
12-11-2004, 11:13
Originally posted by DPG
To add a touch of reverse psychology to this thread, has anyone here been to a restaurant (there probably aren't any like it in Moscow) where if you are a man, upon sitting down "sans jacket", the head waiter will say:

"I think sir will be more comfortable in this...[as he hands you a suit jacket to wear!]"

??!

Yes - Central House of Writers ..... 3 of us rocked up one hot summer day for a spot of dinner .....they found 3 blazers for us to wear !

:agree:

sfjohns67
12-11-2004, 11:14
In america above all we are taught to think of others first and not worry about our own needs... Funny, that never stopped my ex-wife from bitching about my premature ejaculation problem!

plastique
12-11-2004, 11:15
ahh..you got me on that one SFJ...but you have to admit, growing up we are taught to mind our P's and Q's always say thank you, etc...

J.D.
02-12-2004, 07:49
I hope you're happy Kat.
I was at the Hard Rock last night and they refused to check my coat. Now that winter is here I am wearing my winter coat not my leather jacket and I would like to check my coat. Half the chairs were occupied by coats.
I think that you are responsible for this.