PDA

View Full Version : couple of odd but needed questions on Moscow

captaincaveman
24-06-2009, 09:17
Does anyone know the following? I moving to Moscow in 4 weeks.

1) Whats the best DIY shop in Moscow for paint etc as I need to re paint my apartment

2) Whats the best supermarket for the best value and choice

3) Whats the best and cheapest Metro ticket, weekely or monthly and how much is it

4) Whats the nicest park for walking and for seeing some green

5) Whats the worst part of town

6) Whats the best shop for buying electronic stuff in i.e. TV's etc

7) Whats the best shopping centre

8) What are the dangers for women in Moscow

9) Whats the best mobile phone provider in terms of cost

Judge
24-06-2009, 11:55
Does anyone know the following? I moving to Moscow in 4 weeks.

1) Whats the best DIY shop in Moscow for paint etc as I need to re paint my apartment

2) Whats the best supermarket for the best value and choice

3) Whats the best and cheapest Metro ticket, weekely or monthly and how much is it

4) Whats the nicest park for walking and for seeing some green

5) Whats the worst part of town

6) Whats the best shop for buying electronic stuff in i.e. TV's etc

7) Whats the best shopping centre

8) What are the dangers for women in Moscow

9) Whats the best mobile phone provider in terms of cost

1, Leroy Merlin or Obi,both are far from the centre,but you can find everything you want.
2,Auchan is good,huge they are,the big ones are on the outskirts of Moscow,near Leroy Merlin and OBI.There are a few smaller Auchans inside of Moscow,these are called Auchan city.

3,depends on how many times you are going to use the metro.You can buy daily tickets or yearly ones.Myself I buy a 3 month one, costs about 2200 ru.It's well worth getting.

4,Many good parks in Moscow.
Category:Parks and gardens in Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
kolomenskaya park is my fav,very green,nice walks.

5,Haven't seen any yet.
6,Eldorado is not bad.
Интернет магазин бытовой техники ЭЛЬДОРАДО: телевизоры, холодильники, компьютеры, ноутбуки, стиральные машины и телефоны по доступным ценам. (http://www.eldorado.ru/)
Gorbushka is a place where you can find anything you want.
Here's a link to an online store.
Price.RU - Цены (http://www.price.ru/index.html?where=04#)
I usually compare prices,I've used price.ru a few times and never had a problem.

7,There's a few Mega Malls around,huge they are,you need a full day to get around them.There's a place in centre called Europesky Shopping Mall.It's very good.

8.No real dangers.
9, I use MTS,never had any problems with them.

FatAndy
24-06-2009, 12:08
Hi captain (BTW how girl can be captain??? 8))),
Welcome to Moscow and Russian Federation,

1) I don't know the abbreviation but if you want to buy painting dyes, laque, wallpapers and other goods for apartments renovation then go to building materials markets (cheaper) or visit Старик Хоттабыч network (more expensive but good quality): Главная ...: Сеть магазинов "Старик Хоттабыч" (http://www.hottabych.ru/) - Leroy and OBI mentioned by Judge are very good but located mostly outside the city...

2) That which is closer to you. Just go around, look and compare prices.

3) Monthly radiocard is around 800 rub (70 trips, non-zoned). Also available 10, 20, 60 trips for 45 days period, monthly radiocards for metro+tram+bus+trolleybus for 1300 rub and annual metro ticket (don't remember price). Just come into metro and look at cashdesk list - everything is written, Russian on white ;)

4) Depends on where you will live... Voreobievy Gory green area (MSU) - SW, Izmailovsky park - E, Losiny Ostrov - NE, Bitsevsky park - SW, - these are biggest ones, smaller exist too, just look at the city map.

5) I think you can find terrible areas even in the center - look at the map and see where are industrial zones. Ny opinion is SE areas.

6) Gorbushka electronics market at m. Bagrationovskaya, also look networks like M-Video, Tec\hnosila, Mir, Eldorado.

7) See 2)

8) Idiots, like everywhere in the world.

9) There are 3 main players - Beeline, MTS, Megafon. All of them have different tariffs for every taste. I use Beeline as basic and MTS as reserved.

captaincaveman
24-06-2009, 12:37
Thanks guys for great info and help. Have a good day. XX

I may be cheeky and ask more Q's later :-)

FatAndy
24-06-2009, 12:56
may be cheeky and ask more Q's later - curious girls always welcome ;). BTW some time ago there appeared user with nick "marmite66" who started a lot of threads and asked similar questios - maybe you'll find ready answers there:
http://www.expat.ru/forum/search.php?searchid=468184

captaincaveman
24-06-2009, 13:02
may be cheeky and ask more Q's later - curious girls always welcome ;). BTW some time ago there appeared user with nick "marmite66" who started a lot of threads and asked similar questios - maybe you'll find ready answers there:
http://www.expat.ru/forum/search.php?searchid=468184

I could not find anything under that name???

Can I ask a few more Q's

1 I'll want to buy a car when I get to RU whats the best value and strongest car for Russia? and do you know any good honest car dealers or "autobazar" car markets in Moscow???

2 I'm European so what papers must I have for driving in RU apart from my own countries driving licence???

FatAndy
24-06-2009, 15:38
I could not find anything under that name??? - start from the bottom and look through every thread.

O-o-ops! I can't do it too... Look at technical support section how to make search certain user posts... ;) I can make new link but afraid that it will expire too... 8((( Then try from the profile: http://www.expat.ru/forum/members/marmite66.html

1 I'll want to buy a car when I get to RU whats the best value and strongest car for Russia? - not a correct question. It should look like "Will I be able to move by car in Russia some way?".
And first answer will be: Of course... no! Because our way of driving is a bit crazy (not so crazy as in Egypt or India) and non-accomodated people from EU usually change pants every hour... at the beginning. Then they accomodate and do it only once a day ;) So first go by car as a passenger and then decide.

For winter (and for summer too) I strictly recommend to have 4WD car, like Subaru or a kind of Jeep.

2. I don't know, theer is a special sub-forum for such discussions:
Driving in Russia - The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/driving-russia/)

captaincaveman
24-06-2009, 19:09
I could not find anything under that name??? - start from the bottom and look through every thread.

O-o-ops! I can't do it too... Look at technical support section how to make search certain user posts... ;) I can make new link but afraid that it will expire too... 8((( Then try from the profile: The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/members/marmite66.html)

1 I'll want to buy a car when I get to RU whats the best value and strongest car for Russia? - not a correct question. It should look like "Will I be able to move by car in Russia some way?".
And first answer will be: Of course... no! Because our way of driving is a bit crazy (not so crazy as in Egypt or India) and non-accomodated people from EU usually change pants every hour... at the beginning. Then they accomodate and do it only once a day ;) So first go by car as a passenger and then decide.

For winter (and for summer too) I strictly recommend to have 4WD car, like Subaru or a kind of Jeep.

2. I don't know, theer is a special sub-forum for such discussions:
Driving in Russia - The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/driving-russia/)

I get the feeling a tank maybe best!! no probs with parking or traffic just drive over the other cars !!! :12115:

FatAndy
24-06-2009, 19:22
a tank maybe best!! - you'll be penalted by traffic police for road cover destruction every day... :D And pls don't forget that tank engine usually has not a big life resource - max 2000 km, and consumes huge amount of diesel fuel (if diesel) or kerosin (if gas turbine). "Do you need these macaroni?"(C)
Subaru Forrester could be a good choice in city, suburb and on the nature. Or used Landrover Dicovery/Defender.

Judge
24-06-2009, 19:50
One way to describe driving here ...MADNESS...
A little tank is the best way.
If I were you, I would buy a cheap russian car to get used to driving here.I bought a little 4+4 Niva,and not once been stopped by the police..They think i'm so poor that it's not worth the bother.:10475::10475:

captaincaveman
24-06-2009, 20:03
One way to describe driving here ...MADNESS...
A little tank is the best way.
If I were you, I would buy a cheap russian car to get used to driving here.I bought a little 4+4 Niva,and not once been stopped by the police..They think i'm so poor that it's not worth the bother.:10475::10475:

Good idea. I'll buy an old but strong car, or how about some kinda Russian Skoda/Lada jeep?? or something like that!! but of course a tank is my No 1 choice of transport. Parking and cops can just been driven over if I have any probs in the city !!!! :zoom:

Judge
24-06-2009, 22:43
Good idea. I'll buy an old but strong car, or how about some kinda Russian Skoda/Lada jeep?? or something like that!! but of course a tank is my No 1 choice of transport. Parking and cops can just been driven over if I have any probs in the city !!!! :zoom:

Here tank = Hummer.These monsters roam the streets of Moscow.:boxing:

Raul
24-06-2009, 23:17
Captain,

Being from outside I may reccomend you:

-. DO NOT BUY RUSSIAN CAR UNLESS YOU ARE GOOD MECHANIC! Any russian in this forum rather than feeling offended will talk about the poor quality of russian vehicles.

-. Get international driving license before coming into Russia. Paper work here is increadible long and difficult to do (really long and really difficult), so get your international license before comming here.

Bels
24-06-2009, 23:31
Captain,

-. DO NOT BUY RUSSIAN CAR UNLESS YOU ARE GOOD MECHANIC! Any russian in this forum rather than feeling offended will talk about the poor quality of russian vehicles.

-. Get international driving license before coming into Russia. Paper work here is increadible long and difficult to do (really long and really difficult), so get your international license before comming here.

Would they be able to comprehend the international license? Or would you you suggest that this international license should be translated into Russian? Perhaps the Russian might also demand that it should also be apostiled :)

Bels
24-06-2009, 23:40
Captain,

With the increasing costs of foreign cars here, perhap it might be best to buythis uncomfortable noisy rough Lada if you live here and don't have much funds to live here. For example what if you are an English teacher? I suggest get yourself a Lada. There will be many Russians around familiar with this machine or object to help you when it needs fixing. And surely there are plenty of cheap spare parts around everytime you have a smashup.

And besides, what's the point in getting a lovely beautiful car only for some idiot to smash it up for you next week. Don't you understand yet?? only 5% of this country knows how to drive. Wo and behold when you meet the 95%

Bels
24-06-2009, 23:59
Captain,

Would they be able to comprehend the international license? Or would you you suggest that this international license should be translated into Russian? Perhaps the Russian might also demand that it should also be apostiled :)

FatAndy
25-06-2009, 11:20
2 Judge:
I would buy a cheap russian car to get used to driving here.I bought a little 4+4 Niva,and not once been stopped by the police - very smart decision. And if you have familiar good mechanic guys, it will run for years.

BTW, my colleague was working in Russian branch of Henkel or similar German chemical company and told about one smart and economic German guy who was big boss in GM or VP rank here - that guy has purchased for cheap UAZ-469, previous model of this:
Открытое Акционерное Общество 'Ульяновский автомобильный завод' (http://www.uaz.ru/models/nm/315195/) - just because of lack of time to go to gym or fitness center. Rule w/o hydroamplifier and strong pedals gave him ability to excersize during the trip from home to office every day... :D

Bels
25-06-2009, 12:47
LADA CARS

What must you always have inside your Lada?
A roll of toilet paper
What do you call a classic Skoda?
A Lada.
What is the equality between a Lada and a magic wand?
They both only works in the adventures.
What do you call a Lada at the top of a hill?
A miracle.
What do you call several Ladas at the top of a hill?
A car factory.
What do you call 100 Ladas at the top of a hill?
A scrapheap.
There is a big competition at my local pub

the first prize is a Lada
the second prize is two Ladas.
What's the difference between a Lada and tickets for an Oasis concert?
Oasis tickets go fast!
What do you call a Skoda full of food?
A Lada.
What do you call a Lada in the winter?
A freezer.
What do you call a Lada with a sunroof?
A garbage can.
What do you call a convertible Lada?
A Skip!
A dumpster!
What do you call a Lada with no doors or windows?
A climbing frame!
A jungle gym!
How many people in a Lada?
Four. One to hold the wheel, three to get out and push.
How do you overtake a Lada?
Walk
What is the difference between a Lada and the flu?
You can get rid of the flu.
What is a Lada in 6 meters length?
A Chevrolet.
Why buy a Lada?
I don't know...dining table?

LADA MANUFACTURING

How many people does it take to build a Lada?
Four. Two to fold and two to paste.
How do you reduce the wait for delivery of your new Lada ?
Bring back political crime in Russia
How do you tell if your Lada is made by convicts or ordinary workers?
The car assembled by convicts has nothing missing.
How else can you tell if your Lada was built by convicts?
Once it leaves the factory it runs and runs and runs ...

LADA DRIVERS

How do two Lada drivers recognise each other?
It's easy... they already met at the garage this morning.
How do you know that your Lada has been burglarized?
Nothing is missing.
Did you hear about the bloke who had his Lada broken into?
The thieves put him a radio in!
What do you call a Lada driver who says he has a speeding ticket?
A liar.
How can you tell a man driving a Lada?
He wears dark sunglasses.

How can you tell a Lada driver from the other people wearing dark sunglasses?
He doesn't have a white cane.
What's the difference between a Jehovah's Witness and a Lada?
You can shut the door on a Jehovah's Witness.
Why are Lada drivers like corned beef?
They both come in tin cans
What is the similarity between a Lada and a bathtub?
You cannot step out of either one in a public place.
What's the difference between a Lada and sheep?
It's less embarrassing being caught getting out the back of sheep.
Whats the difference between a Lada and a tampon?
The tampon comes with its own tow rope.
I had to part with my Lada as it was costing too much,
I was only doing 10 miles to every pair of trainers/running shoes.

OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE

How do you double the value of a Lada?
Fill the gas tank.
Chuck a penny into it.
Can a Lada accelerate to 120 km/h?
Yes, but only once.
What is the maximum acceleration of a Lada?
9.8 m/sІ
Why is there one extra pedal on a Lada?
To inflate the airbag.
What do you call the shock absorbers on a Lada?
Passengers.
What happens if you apply rust remover to a Lada ?
The Lada disappears.
Don't forget the Lada emergency get-you-home kit!
Walking boots & a map.
What occupies the last 16 pages of the Lada User's Manual?
The bus and train timetables.
What does the trip counter in the Lada say when it is passing 10,000 miles?
Game over!

OPTIONS

What do you call a rust-free Lada?
A miracle.
Air.
What's the definition of an optimist?
The owner of a Lada with an alarm system.
The owner of a Lada with a radar detector.
The owner of a Lada with a trailer hitch.
Want to buy the new 16 valve Lada?
4 in the engine, 12 in the radio.
How do you recognise a Lada Sport?
When the driver is wearing running shoes.
What do you call a Lada with twin exhaust pipes?
A wheelbarrow.
What do you call a Lada with automatic windows?
A toll booth.
Why do Ladas have a rear wash wipe ?
To remove the flies that crash into them.
Why do Ladas have heated rear windows?
To keep your hands warm whilst pushing them.
Why do Ladas need two spare wheels ?
So you can cycle home.
A guy goes into his local garage and asks "Do you have a windscreen wiper for my Lada???"
"Sounds like a fair swap" replied the man in the garage.
What do you get if you fit a turbocharger to a Lada ?
A Kei car.

captaincaveman
25-06-2009, 14:03
LADA CARS

What must you always have inside your Lada?
A roll of toilet paper
What do you call a classic Skoda?
A Lada.
What is the equality between a Lada and a magic wand?
They both only works in the adventures.
What do you call a Lada at the top of a hill?
A miracle.
What do you call several Ladas at the top of a hill?
A car factory.
What do you call 100 Ladas at the top of a hill?
A scrapheap.
There is a big competition at my local pub

the first prize is a Lada
the second prize is two Ladas.
What's the difference between a Lada and tickets for an Oasis concert?
Oasis tickets go fast!
What do you call a Skoda full of food?
A Lada.
What do you call a Lada in the winter?
A freezer.
What do you call a Lada with a sunroof?
A garbage can.
What do you call a convertible Lada?
A Skip!
A dumpster!
What do you call a Lada with no doors or windows?
A climbing frame!
A jungle gym!
How many people in a Lada?
Four. One to hold the wheel, three to get out and push.
How do you overtake a Lada?
Walk
What is the difference between a Lada and the flu?
You can get rid of the flu.
What is a Lada in 6 meters length?
A Chevrolet.
Why buy a Lada?
I don't know...dining table?

LADA MANUFACTURING

How many people does it take to build a Lada?
Four. Two to fold and two to paste.
How do you reduce the wait for delivery of your new Lada ?
Bring back political crime in Russia
How do you tell if your Lada is made by convicts or ordinary workers?
The car assembled by convicts has nothing missing.
How else can you tell if your Lada was built by convicts?
Once it leaves the factory it runs and runs and runs ...

LADA DRIVERS

How do two Lada drivers recognise each other?
It's easy... they already met at the garage this morning.
How do you know that your Lada has been burglarized?
Nothing is missing.
Did you hear about the bloke who had his Lada broken into?
The thieves put him a radio in!
What do you call a Lada driver who says he has a speeding ticket?
A liar.
How can you tell a man driving a Lada?
He wears dark sunglasses.

How can you tell a Lada driver from the other people wearing dark sunglasses?
He doesn't have a white cane.
What's the difference between a Jehovah's Witness and a Lada?
You can shut the door on a Jehovah's Witness.
Why are Lada drivers like corned beef?
They both come in tin cans
What is the similarity between a Lada and a bathtub?
You cannot step out of either one in a public place.
What's the difference between a Lada and sheep?
It's less embarrassing being caught getting out the back of sheep.
Whats the difference between a Lada and a tampon?
The tampon comes with its own tow rope.
I had to part with my Lada as it was costing too much,
I was only doing 10 miles to every pair of trainers/running shoes.

OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE

How do you double the value of a Lada?
Fill the gas tank.
Chuck a penny into it.
Can a Lada accelerate to 120 km/h?
Yes, but only once.
What is the maximum acceleration of a Lada?
9.8 m/sІ
Why is there one extra pedal on a Lada?
To inflate the airbag.
What do you call the shock absorbers on a Lada?
Passengers.
What happens if you apply rust remover to a Lada ?
The Lada disappears.
Don't forget the Lada emergency get-you-home kit!
Walking boots & a map.
What occupies the last 16 pages of the Lada User's Manual?
The bus and train timetables.
What does the trip counter in the Lada say when it is passing 10,000 miles?
Game over!

OPTIONS

What do you call a rust-free Lada?
A miracle.
Air.
What's the definition of an optimist?
The owner of a Lada with an alarm system.
The owner of a Lada with a radar detector.
The owner of a Lada with a trailer hitch.
Want to buy the new 16 valve Lada?
4 in the engine, 12 in the radio.
How do you recognise a Lada Sport?
When the driver is wearing running shoes.
What do you call a Lada with twin exhaust pipes?
A wheelbarrow.
What do you call a Lada with automatic windows?
A toll booth.
Why do Ladas have a rear wash wipe ?
To remove the flies that crash into them.
Why do Ladas have heated rear windows?
To keep your hands warm whilst pushing them.
Why do Ladas need two spare wheels ?
So you can cycle home.
A guy goes into his local garage and asks "Do you have a windscreen wiper for my Lada???"
"Sounds like a fair swap" replied the man in the garage.
What do you get if you fit a turbocharger to a Lada ?
A Kei car.

Thanks very funny !!!!! I love car jokes but I'm now feeling too afraid to drive in Russia A) because there are no road rules or so I'm told and B) The roads are full of holes.

FatAndy
25-06-2009, 15:29
I'm now feeling too afraid to drive in Russia - weak people don't survive here... let you first see it, emotions to be later... When I've been to Italy, it's also not the best example of driving accuracy vs Germany or Netherlands.

OuterSpace
25-06-2009, 15:32
I live in Moscow more than 2 years and never thought to buy a car..
I am happy with Moscow metro systems and using mostly it when i need to go somewhere..I only use taxi when it is too late (after 1AM when Metro closed) or when i am too tired or too drunk :)

Metro in Moscow is fastest easiest and cheapest way of travelling..

I can not bear to drive that terrible traffic conditions..

tukiva
25-06-2009, 16:02
The roads are full of holes.

they are full of assholes mostly

FatAndy
25-06-2009, 16:19
to drive that terrible traffic conditions.. - aha... Сорок минут тащиться на метро или три часа мчаться на машине(С) ;)

Bels
25-06-2009, 16:38
Same here as the only way to go west of along the Rublevo shosse (The western region road) is by helicopter. And believe me , some of the residents do just that. And when you can move on it, the bus is just as convenient and safer than the car. Alternatively the road may well be closed so that VIPs (very important people) can drive from A to B freely on their own. How's that for selfishness.

So helicoptor is the best and safest option, and if you can't afford one then I suggest the bus and metro for central Moscow.

Strider
25-06-2009, 17:38
speaking about supermarkets... there's also online supermarket with delivery service - Utkonos (http://www.utkonos.ru/), you might want to try it if you're lazy :)

GaNozri
25-06-2009, 21:34
Driving is terrible in Moscow, but I would rather sit in traffic for 3 hours every day, comfortably listening to Echo Moskvy, or something, than go 20 minutes each way on the metro. I am scared to go down in the metro. Last time I did (about 4 years ago) - a mad and very angry babushka almost killed me by hitting me over the head with her "avos'ka" full of beer, and that was for no apparent reason! If you think Moscow drivers are crazy, just compare them to metro commuters, and I'm sure you'll opt to buy a car.