PDA

View Full Version : A weird luggage question about a flight Moscow-Boston by Delta

Maine Surfer
10-11-2004, 14:07
A friend of ours just told us a weird thing about Moscow-New York-Boston flight by Delta. She said that passengers have to claim their luggage in JFK upon arriving to New York and then re-check it for the flight from JFK to Logan. ???? Sounds completely crazy to me. Has anyone had to do that? And why would they do something like that?

polly
10-11-2004, 14:29
always. i almost never get a direct flight to SF ;) anytime you have a stopover that is a point of entry in the US, you must go get your bags, lug them around in circles, do a little dance and then recheck them. it's great fun (not).
but yeah. it's nothing new. been griping about it for years! =)

(and it's not just delta! thems tha rules)

dacha_culture
10-11-2004, 14:41
MS, this is standard procedure.

You will ALWAYS claim your bags at your point of entry into the US to go through customs. It makes perfect sense for security reasons, but can be a hassle since it means that if you have a connection once your are in the US, you must recheck your luggage.

pengwn9
10-11-2004, 14:43
Ditto Polly. We did the same dance at JFK. Then you get to go through the fun search yet again, the shoe x-ray, the bag scan, the body scan.

Weirdly, the worst airport I went through in America was--Austin, Texas?! I didn't have my shoes on nor did I set off the metal detector, but I was pulled aside anyway for a full search. Pat down, pocket search, wand detector. It was amazingly discovered by the zealous inspector-ess that my bra had metal snaps on the back. And an underwire! Busted!

JFK is easy though. They run so many international flights through it, there seemed to be plenty of staff and the wait times for getting through the various lines and inspections were minimal. I thought it was really the best and easiest of the Dallas/Austin/Denver/Seattle/Houston/New York/Moscow airports I did last month.

J.D.
10-11-2004, 15:00
Do you think they would pat me down if I wore an underwire jock strap.
Really Marsh, you'll do anything fot that kind of attention.

polly
10-11-2004, 16:59
JD, it's true. my mother often complains of the underwire bra problems at the metal detector in US airports.

J.D.
10-11-2004, 17:04
So why does she wear them? Doesn't she get enough attention from your dad?

am4rw
10-11-2004, 18:51
Delta uses this opportunity to destroy your bags. I've never flown Delta without having my bags run over, dragged behind a truck, or dropped from a great height. Get bags at JFK, go through customs, re-check. Get home and find they've destroyed everything - and then they're rude about it.

pengwn9
10-11-2004, 20:45
Ah yes, reminds me of the good ole days at UPS--United Package Smashers. No way could Delta match our crushing skills. They just don't have 'the touch'. :D It ain't been properly destroyed if an 18 wheeler hasn't backed over it or if didn't plummet 50 feet from a load belt. Delta? Amateurs.

polly
10-11-2004, 22:31
Originally posted by J.D.
So why does she wear them? Doesn't she get enough attention from your dad?

um, my parents have been divorced since i was like eight. so probably "Attention" is not the issue, asstard.

underwires are pretty standard bra-wise. they don't make your boobs bigger or smaller or perkier or anything.

J.D.
10-11-2004, 23:50
'Asstard', hmm not sure if it's just the beer or not but I kinda like the sound of that.

I never knew what the reason was for wire in a bra. Looks pretty damn uncomfortable to me. But if your mom's divorced and I assume over 50 then I guess it's in hopes of having security try to cop a feel.

I'll ask Marsha.

Shara
12-11-2004, 13:19
last time i flew within the states, i had my cat with me. i refused to store her under the plane so paid $75 to take her on board. she too was subjected to security indignities. they had me take her out of the picnic basket sized carrier they'd forced me to put her in (she's a bit plump and was not comfortable) and squeezed her from head to tail. Boy are they lucky she's declawed.

At Domodedova, I had the same experience as my cat. This woman cop pulled me out of line and instead of some kind of metal detector wand, used her hand to grope me. I was quite disturbed by that. It got way too personal.

Oh and Delta and bags??Yeah, I brought vodka home for my family in my bags. Wrapped it in a sweater and tucked that between multiple layers of other sweaters. At JFK it was fine (inspected during my dance session). I handed it to the guard who lovingly hurled it 5 feet across the room to the conveyor belt. When I picked it up in my city, it was dripping and smelled like one hell of a party. Clothes were ruined (silk and vodka not good combo.) Delta claims department--ha! No more bottles in my bags.

uninformed
13-11-2004, 15:19
It is standard procedure for a passenger to pass customs and passport control at the first airport at which they land. Otherwise, the airlines would have to require that ALL passengers on the NY-Boston flight (you mentioned) to pass through passport control and customs in Boston. This makes no sense.

The current requirement makes sense in managing the thousands of people entering the US every day.

Wish1991
10-12-2004, 14:22
And another thing...though you re-check your bags, or if you for any reason switch carriers at your point of arrival in the US and the second carrier (that is the one that takes you from NY to wherever you are going in the states) happens to lose a bag, you are determined to be an int'l traveler, which limits the cap on the payout the airline must make for lost or damaged goods. If you were just traveling in the US, you might have a right to far more compensation.

Delta has also long charged for drinks on int'l flights. Punks.

Maine Surfer
10-12-2004, 14:56
yeap. my wife told me about not so free drinks anymore. They are like 4-5 bucks a pop :eek: Screw that!
She said the flight was generally OK but nothing comparable to BA or even ALITALIA.