PDA

View Full Version : Father Christmas banned in UK!

Leslie Presley
10-11-2004, 09:55
The PC brigade have banned Santa from a shopping centre - in case he offends non-christians!!

The Scrooges struck in Birmingham's famous Bull-Ring. A spokeswoman said
: " We wish to be sensitive to people of other religions over the festive period. There are a lot of people in the region who are not christians and do not celebrate Christmas."

London's major stores in Oxford Street, London have already banned Santa. They said that his grotto took up too much room. This space, they said could be utilised to stock more goods for sale.

Also, mothers are very wary nowadays of letting their little one's sit on a strange man's lap while he puts his arm around them. They also find standing in line and waiting to see Santa with their offspring too time-consuming.

Banning Santa in case he upsets non-christians is absolutely ridiculous!! Father Christmas, his elves and his reindeer aren't at all religious. All they symbolise is the massive commercial exploitation event that Christmas has become.

Will the Bull-Ring now ban Diwali in case non-Hindus are upset? Or Rosh Hashana in case non-Jews complain. Or the Feast of Sacrifice in case non - Muslims object.

Anyway the days when Christmas had much to do with Christianity have long gone in most homes.

The only thing that offends parents nowadays is having to fork out so much money for their kids presents in places like the Bull-Ring!!

For the record _ Father Christmas is rooted in PAGAN times. He probably began life as the Green Man in Celtic culture. This makes the banning even more mind-numbing!!

moscowmail
10-11-2004, 09:58
I can beleive that, this PC craps is way to far now

half crazed visigoth
10-11-2004, 10:01
How many people actually want to a) go to the Bull ring and b) sit on Santa's lap there anyway- although the city centre is better now, the BR is a shame on cty designers- truly ghastly...

half crazed visigoth
10-11-2004, 10:04
Yeah I know that is not the point- my personal fave is the pack of Sainsbury's dry roasted that say"warning- may contain nuts" oh how we laughed...

Leslie Presley
10-11-2004, 10:07
Are you reading another thread and posting on this one by mistake!!??

half crazed visigoth
10-11-2004, 10:09
erm no- PC warnings about nuts was part of the same issue last time i checked and the bull ring is a pile of pants...whats wrong with that

Idiot Amin
10-11-2004, 10:09
Originally posted by half crazed visigoth
"warning- may contain nuts" ...

I know a guy who wears underwear with a similar warning.

Leslie Presley
10-11-2004, 10:28
I know a guy who is a NUT. Period!

half crazed visigoth
10-11-2004, 10:33
thanks. makes me proud

Leslie Presley
10-11-2004, 10:35
I was actually addressing the NUT comment to Idiot Amin. But if the cap fits.................

crom
10-11-2004, 10:37
I thought nuts were banned?

Leslie Presley
10-11-2004, 10:39
I thought the band was nuts!

Filimon
10-11-2004, 12:10
Originally posted by half crazed visigoth
erm no- PC warnings about nuts was part of the same issue last time i checked and the bull ring is a pile of pants...whats wrong with that

That has nothing to do with PC - it is the consequences of the compensation culture, due to the fact that some people will be glad to sue if something that they were not warned about offends them.

polly
10-11-2004, 12:14
and now most people busy themselves with deciding what is going to offend them next.

plastique
10-11-2004, 12:27
Originally posted by Filimon
That has nothing to do with PC - it is the consequences of the compensation culture, due to the fact that some people will be glad to sue if something that they were not warned about offends them.

"you get your money for nuthin' and yer checks fer free...."

Filimon
10-11-2004, 12:36
Originally posted by plastique
"you get your money for nuthin' and yer checks fer free...."

Wasn't it "chicks"?:)

Filimon
10-11-2004, 12:37
Originally posted by polly
and now most people busy themselves with deciding what is going to offend them next.

"Dear Sirs,

I spilt hot coffee on my dumb self at your McDonalds and got deeply offended!" :):D

Fa-Q!
10-11-2004, 12:41
Filimon, I'm heading to your home town in a week. Looking forward to it!

littlejohn
10-11-2004, 12:55
I used to work in Birmingham and it is one of the most depressing places in the world.

Filimon
10-11-2004, 13:43
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
Filimon, I'm heading to your home town in a week. Looking forward to it!

Nice! it's quite warm down there at the moment! Have fun! :)

tommo
10-11-2004, 13:48
I say hang Santa anyway. He's just another reason why 70% of the worlds children are overweight.

Shatneresque
10-11-2004, 13:52
All together, now: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS SUCKS!!!

half crazed visigoth
10-11-2004, 13:53
OK I admit I was reaching..... but Brum is still a hole...and I am going back to live in Coventry....not quite sure which is worse actually.....or possibly Wolverhampton??? quite grim...

M-C
10-11-2004, 14:53
70% of the worlds children are overweight.
Where does that stat come from :confused: Have the countries" that haven't quite developed yet but will get there eventually" stopped having babies?

Shaun
10-11-2004, 15:14
people whingeing about PC craziness reminded me of an article i read a couple of months ago...

Oliver Burkeman
Thursday August 12, 2004

From the moment Michael Howard announced his plans to free the police from excessive paperwork, you knew someone was going to say it. Someone always says it.

This time, it fell to the Channel 4 News team, who said it in their daily email to viewers, though at least they had the good grace to phrase it as a question. Was the current state of police bureaucracy, they wondered, a case of "political correctness gone mad?"

If you believe what you read in the papers, political correctness goes mad with alarming regularity. In the last month alone, for example, it went mad twice in the Midlands, according to the Birmingham Evening Mail - once when a vicar demanded that a pub called the Saracen's Head be renamed to avoid offending Muslims, and once when Ofcom banned a radio ad for faggots.

The phrase cropped up again in Scotland, when Aberdeen council decided to spare the blushes of school pupils by withholding poor sports scores from the media. It also showed up in response to a proposed law banning hotels from refusing to accommodate gay couples.

And finally, as if to cement its reputation as the hardest-working cliche in the news business, it made a cameo appearance in a story about Hertfordshire council stopping children from wearing goggles in its swimming pools for fear of injury. According to one local mother quoted in the Evening Standard, the goggles policy was a clear-cut case of - well, you know the rest.

How to explain political correctness 's inexorable descent into madness? The trouble seems to have begun in 1992, when the New York Times reported on a hiring row at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology the fateful phrase is attributed to the philosopher Christina Hoff Sommers.

By 1993, veteran Tory MP Terry Dicks was deploying it against those offended by the verb "to welsh". Since then, it has appeared at least 631 times in British national newspapers. "Political correctness gone mad" has gone mad.

Since the concept of PC is mainly rightwing doublespeak anyway, you can make some reliable predictions about those instances where it is held to have gone mad.

First, the level of outrage will be out of all proportion with the allegedly mad policy, which will either be perfectly sensible or, at worst, a bit oversensitive to other people's feelings - hardly a war crime.

Second, the story will be more complex than it appears (in the Ofcom faggots case, the ad made a deliberate joke of the word's homophobic connotation).

Third, the "slippery slope" argument may be used, with some furious everyman complaining that, now you're no longer allowed to hurl racist abuse in the street, it can only be a matter of time before they ban breathing.

All in all, it's time for a moratorium on "political correctness gone mad". Actually, perhaps we should ban it.

DPG
10-11-2004, 15:21
Originally posted by Shaun
when a vicar demanded that a pub called the Saracen's Head be renamed to avoid offending Muslims

Eh??

tommo
10-11-2004, 15:23
Lol. Before I get hung, I was just messing about. I'm a Christmas lover! Go Santa.......

M-C
10-11-2004, 15:35
OK Tommo, I was :confused:

Shaun
10-11-2004, 15:35
yeah, i didnt quite get that either dpg... but i did quite like the bit about

some furious everyman complaining that, now you're no longer allowed to hurl racist abuse in the street, it can only be a matter of time before they ban breathing.

obviously sometimes things get a bit ridiculous, but it is also highly tedious to hear people whingeing about 'political correctness' all the time...

Fa-Q!
10-11-2004, 15:41
Visit the US, Shaun. PC is completely out of control. Guess it wouldn't surprise you to hear that I've %100 denounced PC.

DPG
10-11-2004, 15:43
I've %100 denounced PC.

You're joking!? When did that happen?!?:p

Fa-Q!
10-11-2004, 15:44
Hey DPG, need for me to give you some work to do in another folder?

85StonePolarBear
10-11-2004, 15:45
Fa-Q!, I think you forgot a word in your last couple of postings....

Fa-Q!
10-11-2004, 15:46
Geez! You guys won't let me be a nice guy, will ya?!

DPG
10-11-2004, 15:46
Fa-Q! No thanks man! Already done some today!!:-)

Shaun
10-11-2004, 15:58
yeah, someone told me the other day that a public figure in america would not be allowed to talk about 'black' people, which did seem pretty ridiculous...

Shaun
10-11-2004, 16:01
and let's not forget (he said, violating all rules of pc conduct) that father christmas, like the catholic priesthood, seems to be a route of access to young children for fat old men of a highly dubious nature.

as such banning him might be a good thing...

Fa-Q!
10-11-2004, 16:09
You can no longer say "trash man" or "garbage man" it's "waste technician"! There are alot more examples. As soon as anyone even mentions race, whether negative or not, people come out of the woodwork to protest and demand resignations. It's ridiculous.

DPG
10-11-2004, 16:13
In the UK many companies implemented policies years ago of "coffee with or without milk" as opposed to "black or white coffee"...

Madness...

koba65
10-11-2004, 16:13
You can no longer say "trash man" or "garbage man" it's "waste technician"! There are alot more examples. As soon as anyone even mentions race, whether negative or not, people come out of the woodwork to protest and demand resignations. It's ridiculous.

"Waste" to me conjures up a more disgusting picture than "trash" or "garbage"...

sfjohns67
10-11-2004, 16:20
Here's a good old "PC gone mad" story for you. When I lived in DC back in 98-99, one of the city councilmen described his boss or somebody as being "niggardly" in handing out payraises. The uproar was thundering, people were absolutely shocked and horrified that a public figure would use such an offensive word (DC's population and city government workforce is roughly 60% black).

Then somebody bothered to print the definition.

Shatneresque
10-11-2004, 16:46
Originally posted by Shaun
yeah, someone told me the other day that a public figure in america would not be allowed to talk about 'black' people, which did seem pretty ridiculous...

First (around 100 years ago), Americans of African descent demanded to be called "colored" (as in "The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People").

Then they decided they didn't like that, and demanded to be called "negroes."

Then they demanded that "Negro" be capitalized.

Then, in the '60s, they decided they didn't like that, and demanded to be called "black;" back then (but apparently not now?!), black was considered beautiful.

For a long while, "black" existed peacefully alongside "Afro-American;" then, in the '80s, Jesse Jackson offhandedly remarked that he preferred "African-American," and the media ran wild with that.

Which brings us to where we are today: it is very UN-cool to say anything which might run counter what is au courant.