PDA

View Full Version : How to translate

titli
21-06-2009, 20:48
I need some assistance.
How to translate into English Russian word "подстава"?
Tnx

robertmf
21-06-2009, 20:56
I need some assistance.
How to translate into English Russian word "подставка"?
Tnx

a supporting stand.

AndreyS
21-06-2009, 21:00
LOL. Подстава or подставка?

robertmf
21-06-2009, 21:07
LOL. Подстава or подставка?

И ну, что это так смешно ? Знаете, Я не могу учить этого как вы напишите. Вам надо UTF-8 character set. You also need to switch over to Ubuntu linux, but that's for another thread.
http://shipit.ubuntu.com

Mud
21-06-2009, 21:14
My Russian is not very good however my trusty translator, (12 year old son) tells me that "подстава" is a noun meaning
"set-up" or "frame". If someone has made it appear that you did something which you did not do then you were framed/set-up. You may say, "It was a set-up / frame, (подстава)"

Hope he is right because I cannot fire him, (he's got a pretty good contract). :sunny:

AndreyS
21-06-2009, 21:26
Folks, подставка is a supporting stand, yes. But подстава is smth very different. It's an informal word meaning some staged situation in which you get into trouble.

Rob, don't take offence.

Mud
21-06-2009, 21:32
Folks, подставка is a supporting stand, yes. But подстава is smth very different. It's an informal word meaning some staged situation in which you get into trouble.

Rob, don't take offence.
So, am I going to have to give my son a raise now?

robertmf
21-06-2009, 21:40

Folks, подставка is a supporting stand, yes. But подстава is smth very different.

Can you transliterate, please. подставка and подстава ... and what is ?smth ? supposed to be ?-PP:reindeer:

I suspect one is podstavKa and the other podstava (sic).

I can see where the literal meaning of "a stand" i.e., easel can evolve into slang "set-up". Does anyone have a Rooskie dictionary to see if there is a slang meaning ... or maybe podstavka is only used in the vernacular ? I have no slang dictionary.

translate.ru gives me no result for "podstava".

Looking up подставка in [google images] returns small tables, easels, etc. plus the beauty holding the stein.

Qdos
21-06-2009, 21:50
Looking up подставка in [google images] returns small
tables, easels, etc. plus the beauty holding the stein.

I think you were fitted up mate... :D

robertmf
21-06-2009, 21:52
So, am I going to have to give my son a raise now?

What's his email address ... we will send him the signatures on the higher allowance petition. :elf:

robertmf
21-06-2009, 21:53
I think you were fitted up mate... :D

More slanguage ... so what's , "fitted up" mean ?-:rasta:

AndreyS
21-06-2009, 21:57
Folks, подставка is a supporting stand, yes. But подстава is smth very different.

Can you transliterate, please. подставка and подстава ... and what is ?smth ? supposed to be ?-PP:reindeer:

I suspect one is podstavKa and the other podstava (sic).

I can see where the literal meaning of "a stand" i.e., easel can evolve into slang "set-up". Does anyone have a Rooskie dictionary to see if there is a slang meaning ... or maybe podstavka is only used in the vernacular ? I have no slang dictionary.

translate.ru gives me no result for "podstava".

Looking up подставка in [google images] returns small tables, easels, etc. plus the beauty holding the stein.

Podstavka is a supporting stand. Podstava is a different word, it means that smb organized a bad situation for you, and you didn't find it out and so got into trouble. Podstava doesn't mean anything like a stand or so.

AndreyS
21-06-2009, 22:00
Smth means something. Smb means somebody.

Qdos
21-06-2009, 22:02
More slanguage ... so what's , "fitted up" mean ?-:rasta:

'подстава...' apparently... :devil:

AndreyS
21-06-2009, 22:07
Now, guys... What's English for podstava? I mean one-word-translation. Personally, I am puzzled. Help, please.
There must be an appropriate English word...

Qdos
21-06-2009, 22:11
Now, guys... What's English for podstava? I mean one-word-translation. Personally, I am puzzled. Help, please.

Based on the aforegoing... "framed..." :cool:

Notwithstanding that this can also mean, for arguments sake,
the surround on a painting for instance... ;)

robertmf
21-06-2009, 22:12

Beats me :-P It's not a слово в словарь. I just assumed he meant podstavka. Weeelll we all know that :10475: asumptions make an ASS out of U and ME.

robertmf
21-06-2009, 22:18
'подстава...' apparently... :devil:

бессонница ?-:jester:

Qdos
21-06-2009, 22:22
бессонница ?-:jester:

At 7.22pm in the evening? :11157:

robertmf
21-06-2009, 22:55
At 7.22pm in the evening? :11157:

My observation is 24/7 in your case :-:10293:

Qdos
21-06-2009, 22:59
I'm often around, or would it really mess with
your head if I said I had an evil twin... :evil:

robertmf
21-06-2009, 23:20
I'm often around, or would it really mess with
your head if I said I had an evil :alien: twin... :evil:

Your having a "good twin" is more believable LMFAO!! haha gotcha :-)

AndreyS
21-06-2009, 23:29
I just assumed he meant podstavka.

He is a she. ;-)

DDT
22-06-2009, 00:04
подстава - Мультитран (http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?l1=1&l2=2&s=%EF%EE%E4%F1%F2%E0%E2%E0)

P.S. If you study Russian I suggest you bookmark multitran.ru

robertmf
22-06-2009, 00:39
подстава - Мультитран (http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?l1=1&l2=2&s=%EF%EE%E4%F1%F2%E0%E2%E0)

P.S. If you study Russian I suggest you bookmark multitran.ru

:book: Usually I use translate.ru :question: is one better than the other ??

DDT
22-06-2009, 05:12

Translate.ru is an online translator and as you know electronic translators don't work very well with Russian language, in particular.. It won't translate slang, either.
Multitran EXAMPLE: словарь Мультитран (http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?a=3&s=%F5%F3%E9&sc=852&l1=2&l2=1)

multitran is for individual word meanings and gives usage examples in hundreds of phrases for most words.

I'd only use an online translator to get the quick overall meaning of a sentence, and even then you are likely to be misled........big time!

elias
24-08-2009, 00:56
I'd say it's a "setup", or - if you can paraphrase it - the verb for подставлять would be FRAME, as in "The poor guy was framed!"

Zakaria
25-08-2009, 12:53

try to use translate.google.ru or lingvo.yandex.ru

Viola
25-08-2009, 13:08
I'd say it's a "setup", or - if you can paraphrase it - the verb for подставлять would be FRAME, as in "The poor guy was framed!"

Подставить (v) or подстава (n) is used in criminal jargon in the meaning to make poor guy a scapegoat or be exposed to the authorities instead of someone else.
Does it fit the context?

Oops, didn't notice it's an old theat, Andrey has already answered at the first page :o

IGIT
25-08-2009, 14:00
Punked.