PDA

View Full Version : Cost of living moscow 2009

captaincaveman
21-06-2009, 14:33
Please can anyone give their opinion on the cost of living in terms of rent, food, travel etc per month for a family of 3 to 4. I'v put a rough poll but please give your opinion if you can? Thanks.

P.S Any cost wil depend on the number of people in a family, the location, The type of home i.e. a flat or house, if you rent etc etc. Just ball park figures.

Kartoshka
21-06-2009, 14:57
I put "The cost of living per month is over $4,956", but that's because I was budgeting in a flat, expat health insurance, international schooling for two children, a driver, etc etc. If some of this was provided for you in an expat package, or if some of it was inapplicable to your family, obviously the costs would come down.

Kvartiraokhotnik
21-06-2009, 15:53
Please can anyone give their opinion on the cost of living in terms of rent, food, travel etc per month for a family of 3 to 4. I'v put a rough poll but please give your opinion if you can? Thanks.

P.S Any cost wil depend on the number of people in a family, the location, The type of home i.e. a flat or house, if you rent etc etc. Just ball park figures.

If you really wanna know how much it will cost give us a little more info on what kind of place you want to rent, where in Moscow...the centre, or further out? and do you plan to drive, or use the metro? Metro and buses are very cheap. But rent is expensive. You'll be paying at least 50 000 roubles a month I reckon with a family- and probably not for the best of places. Perhaps as much as 100 000, but for a better place. Thats my ball park guess

Food prices are pretty similar to the UK. But i prefer the stuff i buy here. Fresher, it seems to me.

captaincaveman
21-06-2009, 16:15
If you really wanna know how much it will cost give us a little more info on what kind of place you want to rent, where in Moscow...the centre, or further out? and do you plan to drive, or use the metro? Metro and buses are very cheap. But rent is expensive. You'll be paying at least 50 000 roubles a month I reckon with a family- and probably not for the best of places. Perhaps as much as 100 000, but for a better place. Thats my ball park guess

Food prices are pretty similar to the UK. But i prefer the stuff i buy here. Fresher, it seems to me.

Ok lets say the following example:

Flat: 2 bedrooms
Driver: NO
Parking required: NO
Metro user: Yes
Helping with costs from employer: NO
Family size: 1 to 3 children
Flat standard: "Normal" European standard not luxury

Kvartiraokhotnik
21-06-2009, 22:33
Ok lets say the following example:

Flat: 2 bedrooms
Driver: NO
Parking required: NO
Metro user: Yes
Helping with costs from employer: NO
Family size: 1 to 3 children
Flat standard: "Normal" European standard not luxury

1 to 3 children?

Are you planning on buying a couple of developing world orphans if the rates are good enough?

Normal European standard will cost at least 50 000 roubles. In the garden ring......er double or triple guys?? what do you think? I wouldnt know, living in the ghetto :(

GaNozri
22-06-2009, 14:56
It's way too expensive. But, definitely worth it for what you get. I could have lived for a third of what I spend here in NYC, eating out more, getting better service, etc., but I would never exchange my overpriced Moscow lifestyle for ANY other! I try not to go to overpriced, "tusovka" restaurants anymore, but am quite happy with the bunch of cheapish restaurants that I grew to love over the past few years. There are actually, quite a few places wher one can get a good meal, service, and even entertainment for 1000rubles or less.

Maykovskaya
22-06-2009, 15:53
There are actually, quite a few places wher one can get a good meal, service, and even entertainment for 1000rubles or less.

Are you referring to 911 Club VIP on sunday nights?

I agree though, rent is the killer. Although I've seen a few great 2 bdrm apts for 40-50000 just outside the garden ring. Food costs are roughly the same, yet fresher (my fav milk is so fresh, it turns sour in a couple days!). I cut out the overpriced, undeserved restaurant scene...feeling insulted is not the kind of experience I enjoy when eating out. The "normal people" restaurants provide me with tasty food and usually an interesting environment...whether it was planned or not. The metro is a treat too!

captaincaveman
22-06-2009, 16:41
1 to 3 children?

Are you planning on buying a couple of developing world orphans if the rates are good enough?

Normal European standard will cost at least 50 000 roubles. In the garden ring......er double or triple guys?? what do you think? I wouldnt know, living in the ghetto :(

I don't want a flat with children I have enough to cope with !!!! Thanks !

Kartoshka
22-06-2009, 21:15
3 children in a two bedroom flat?! Sounds like fun...