PDA

View Full Version : General Health Certificate

WittyName32
17-06-2009, 08:19
I'm applying for a visa to Russia that requires a certificate of general health. Do any of you know what goes into one? I'm applying from California.

The Russian Consulate's website only says:

General health certificate on your current health condition (must be certified by Apostil at the local office of the Secretary of your State and translated into Russian, then certified by the Consulate).

Does a letter from one's doctor suffice? I'm not sure how that can receive an apostil, but I don't know what else to think.

Thanks

nurse
22-06-2009, 17:29
My understanding is that they may ask for an HIV status report, but otherwise, we've just had to give family doctor details.

cartdogg
13-07-2009, 21:26
Most Russian visas themselves require HIV tests. And once you're in Russia, if you're getting a work visa, you'll need to get a series of medical tests to get your work permit (separate from the visa). I assume this is connected to the HIV test requirement.

As a side note, I'd like to STRONGLY recommend not getting your work permit medical tests done at the cheap state clinics. The regular medical tests for HIV and drugs and such are just a bit sloppy and comically bad, but the TB clinics are some of the scariest places in the country.

mido008
13-07-2009, 21:42
get international HIV certificat, and there is stated on a bottom that you do not have any other sicnesses, ...

worked for me, do not know how in US but in Prague, this is done by unit called "infectious diseases and travel medicine"

tasel
14-07-2009, 01:00
Usually you need a HIV certificate andsome embassies accept only the certificates from the places they have stated. So, please check with your local (California) embassy and you may need TB test as well, confirm it with the embassy staff.

WittyName32
28-08-2009, 06:06
As is often the case, there was more worry involved than necessary. I got a test taken at a university health clinic; their results were a computer print-out that my Russian wife found completely lacking in authenticity (anyone could print that out!); I got it notarized (by someone who didn't look at it); and the visa got issued no problem.

As with the diploma requirement, I think it is often a matter of dissuading people from applying more than their actually requiring something to be filed in perfect order.

nurse
28-08-2009, 09:58
As with the invite, the health certificate appears to be a job creation exercise, as there is no audit trail to prove you are the person who had the test - we could have been anybody. The most difficult part was getting a UK clinic to do the test at short notice without a doctor to "interpret" the results and "counsel" us about the implications if it showed a positive result. UK clinics are only set up to provide a weekly service and are quite left wing about paying to fast-track results!