PDA

View Full Version : Good wine shop?

CheVive
16-06-2009, 01:53
Anyone know of a good wine shop in Petersburg -- somewhere I can find wines at good quality-price ratios?

Thanks

BigSpaseeba
16-06-2009, 03:40
Anyone know of a good wine shop in Petersburg -- somewhere I can find wines at good quality-price ratios?

Thanks

Which metro do you live near?

There are two shops that have many locations. AM and Bon Vin that are reasonably priced. Ashan supermarket has better prices but less selection. Metro Cash & Carry has a large selection for fair prices but you need to be a member to shop there.

CheVive
16-06-2009, 20:38
Thanks for those helpful tips. I'm in Petrogradskaya, and at least one of those chains is not too far from me.

While I'm on the subject, do you have any recs for bars/restaurants that are good value for sampling wines by the glass?

Thanks again!

BigSpaseeba
17-06-2009, 04:39
Thanks for those helpful tips. I'm in Petrogradskaya, and at least one of those chains is not too far from me.

While I'm on the subject, do you have any recs for bars/restaurants that are good value for sampling wines by the glass?

Thanks again!

There is a fairly new restaurant on Rubensteina in the centre close to Nevsky that specializes in wine at fair prices.

I'll find that out for you.

You should pick up a copy of St. Petersburg In Your Pocket Guide (published monthly) or go to Destination City Guides By In Your Pocket (http://www.inyourpocket.com) and download it.

The printed version is nicer to have though and you can get it for free at some travel agencies and hotels. I know the Cuba Hostel near Kazan Cathedral has them. You can find out where to get it by checking their website.

The restaurant I mentioned above might be called Kabinett and here is a link to it plus some other wine restauants. I read about another wine restaurant though that had a different description that what In Your Pocket says about Kabinett. I'll try to find that one because it sounds interesting.

Wine restaurant - Restaurants and cafes in St. Petersburg - In Your Pocket city guide - essential travel guides to cities in Russia (http://www.inyourpocket.com/russia/st_petersburg/restaurants/category/57636-winerestaurant.html)

One world of warning regarding buying wine. Always check the dates on white wines because I've seen some old ones sold here. Bon Vin had an Aussie chardonnay from 2005 on sale and no wonder it was cheap. I wouldn't drink a white wine that old and they shouldn't have been selling it. The best place for it would be down the sink. I've already had some bad experiences here with old white wines that were horrible because I didn't pay attention to the vintage. Plus there could be some fake wines so check the bottle carefully.

I've never had a great Moldovan wine but you might want to try them just so you know what they're like. Also, Georgian wines are good but it's illegal to sell them here now. I know a great Georgian restaurant that sells real Georgian wine as their "house" wine. I can let you know where that is later. I have to find their business card for the address.

BigSpaseeba
17-06-2009, 04:43

Thanks again!

I forgot to tell you a few other places. I live near Petrogradskaya too and sometimes buy wine at Babylon Supermarket on Maly Prospect and it's open 24 hours.

There is a new wine shop just off Bolshoi Prospect about four blocks from Petrogradskay metro that has good wines. I walked in their two weeks ago and they don't seem to be doing very well. It's a nice shop but there were'nt any customers plus the place was completely silent even though two young women were working in there. They should have some music on at least because it was kind of sad in there. Great wines though.

You might not like the way clerks approach you quickly asking if you need help and then stand around watching you while you look at bottles of wine.

BigSpaseeba
17-06-2009, 04:46
Babylon has quite a large selection of wine but the prices are higher than other places but you might find a bargin.

Be careful of buying wines that have been sitting in the window getting a lot of sunlight or that have been sitting in a very hot shop for months. Sometimes placed right beside heaters.

CheVive
18-06-2009, 00:38
Many thanks for all those helpful hints Big!

I can sympathize with your having had some bad experiences with retailers not stocking the right vintages or taking care of stock. Another problem area is cigars -- I can't count how many times I've been about to buy a cigar only to spot the mold or notice the dry wrapper...

Georgian wine is an acquired taste, but I'm a fan. My experience with Moldovan wine's been pretty fortunate. I had some particularly good Sauvignon Blancs from Moldavia (just across the border in Romania) when traveling up there. In the late 90s, one used to be able to get some pretty good old reds from Romania/Moldava for ridiculously low prices.

I'm going to check out Babylon and the other stores you mentioned... I'm craving a nice Riesling at the moment... Do you get your groceries at Babylon, or is there some other place you prefer for groceries near Petrogradskaya?

Thanks again for these very helpful notes... I know Moscow, but am lost here!