PDA

View Full Version : English Publictaions in Moscow -intern/job?

Holbs
13-06-2009, 00:58
Does anyone know if there is a decent chance of getting some kind of position with the Moscow Times or the Moscow News?

I'll be hopefully moving to Moscow around August, and though I'll have another job, I'd be interested in doing some [/any] kind of work with one of the English Publications there. I have a lot of editing experience & would love to do something with them even as an internship or part time sort of gig. I haven't written to them yet, just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience or notions about it???

Also, if you know of any other English publications that, I'd love to hear about them...

Cheers!

kapione
16-06-2009, 14:48
I do not think you will get a livable salary

BigSpaseeba
16-06-2009, 15:09
Does anyone know if there is a decent chance of getting some kind of position with the Moscow Times or the Moscow News?

I'll be hopefully moving to Moscow around August, and though I'll have another job, I'd be interested in doing some [/any] kind of work with one of the English Publications there. I have a lot of editing experience & would love to do something with them even as an internship or part time sort of gig. I haven't written to them yet, just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience or notions about it???

Also, if you know of any other English publications that, I'd love to hear about them...

Cheers!

Try In Your Pocket Guides. They just recently began publishing a monthly magazine/guidebook.

Destination City Guides By In Your Pocket (http://www.inyourpocket.com)

Bels
16-06-2009, 15:41
Expat.ru vacancies often come up with some interesting writing work. Try here or simply ask moscow Times and other publishers direct.

Vacancies :: Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians (http://expat.ru/vacancies.php)

Peter Ellis
16-06-2009, 19:01
I too am interested in doing some journalism while in Moscow and here pass on some of my experiences.

I submitted a story for the Moscow News at the end of 2008: it was accepted and then rejected because of the 'crisis'. I said I wasn't expected to be paid but was told firstly, they HAD to pay contributors and secondly, that they COULD NOT employ any new freelance writers because of the crisis.

I approached Passport Magazine with the story, which I offered without a fee. They accepted and published it. They have now taken three of my pieces (the third due in the August edition) and there's talk of paying me for the articles retrospectively.

Element also advertises for freelance writers. They ask potential contributors to write a 'How To' item (see their paper) of about 350 words. I did so but am still waiting for the call to review ... hopefully when I return in September.

I think if you've got a good story idea it's worth approaching any or all of the papers. Coming up with your own ideas is obviously much more difficult than following up a press release ... so if you want to swap ideas, get in touch.

sarachristinefirth
14-07-2009, 04:31
I'm also wanting to come over to pursue my journalism career in Moscow.

I interned at The Moscow Times in January, and I'm pretty sure they'd definitely take you if its just experience you want but much harder I'd imagine to get paid work with them Give them a buzz though they were so friendly when I was there and it was a really great experience.

What job are you doing out there?

I'm trying to get a job at RT. Failing that maybe teaching english

Sarax