PDA

View Full Version : How are you doing? Resident reachers of Russia.

Bels
13-06-2009, 00:11
How is business for in the recession of 2009 in the Sumer period. For me I at first thought starvation for my family until Setember 2009. But somehow we eventually pulled through and have now got a few good paying clients. Generally one to one at their own home. And this response may well grow through advertising and word of mouth.

What about September 2009? Is it going to be as good as last September 2008? I don't know for sure due to the so called recession. All I know is that most of my clients will continue as long as we don't raise prices. So groups in September will happen with 70% of our previous students at least, and with new enquiries constantly coming through.

One to one with the very young appears to be the best bet for me, along with secondly one to one adults seeking immigration, perhap aiming to pass IELTS for example.

You as teachers or as Russians. What is the best market should teachers be aiming for now. What do you think your potential customers are looking for? It might be different from whether you are in the oblast like me, or whether you are in central Moscow of which I assume most EFL teachers are concentrating on.

Qdos
13-06-2009, 00:14
Have you been quoffing the old vino Bels? :suspect:

MickeyTong
13-06-2009, 00:23
No, that's how he normally writes.

Bels
13-06-2009, 00:26

No. Money is tight at the moment, and I only drink beer on certain occasions and never wine or spirits. I simply want to know others experiences on what the market is like today. Is there a recession which affects private teacher, or is there not? What is your opinion.

AndreyS
13-06-2009, 00:36
My good old friend from Britain working here as a teacher says lots of his private students cancelled due to losing their jobs (as they said). He also lost a class of corporate lessons arranged with bank. Bank said they couldn't afford it any longer because of budget cuts... Still there are private students taking lessons...

AndreyS
13-06-2009, 00:38

Beer doesn't count?

Bels
13-06-2009, 01:36
My good old friend from Britain working here as a teacher says lots of his private students cancelled due to losing their jobs (as they said). He also lost a class of corporate lessons arranged with bank. Bank said they couldn't afford it any longer because of budget cuts... Still there are private students taking lessons...

That is also my findings. Yes there is a great loss from corporate companies requiring their employees to learn English. But the demand from individuals to either work and immigrate to native English speaking countries appears to be on the increase. Also the demand from parents and grandmothers to want their young children to learn English also appears to be increasing. Perhaps there isn't a recession for some of us after all. I can foresee large schools suffering, but perhaps not the private teacher, as long as we concentrate on the correct market.

Somehow I think Andrey that you do have an idea of what is really happening here.

AndreyS
13-06-2009, 01:44
I agree, Bels, there is steady demand for English lessons as it has been. The question is how payable it is now...

Bels
13-06-2009, 01:55
I agree, Bels, there is steady demand for English lessons as it has been. The question is how payable it is now...

A week ago I feared the worse. But today I can honestly say it's looking good and fees have not decreased so far . Maybe in some cases there isn't really a recession in certain markets. But my confidence can only be claimed once I see through the September 2009 month.

For the moment I am happy that I am surviving through the difficult Summer months, of which I was worried about. I can only hope that starting from September 2009 will be a good year for private teachers.

AndreyS
13-06-2009, 02:04
My feeling: there is no catastrophy, people live and work. But now they have less excessive money, whch could affect tourist industry and English lessons...
I see ads where English schools lure students by big rebates..

Matt24
13-06-2009, 09:35

Yeh, it does seem an odd marketing strategy for an English teacher

Entertainingly if you transpose British, English and Native from one of Bels' postings with the word LADIES, you get a very jolly synthesis of a Little Britain Sketch.

Matt

dontcallme
13-06-2009, 11:09
Hi

Fortunately I work for a company that guarantees my hours and if my hours are short then I still get my fulls months wage anyway.

I haven't had as much luck finding private students recently. Several of my students have stopped classes for the summer and despite cutting my rates through the summer I haven't had any luck replacing them. I wasn't sure if this was normal during summertime as Moscow feels half empty at the moment or if it was connected to the crisis.

Bels
13-06-2009, 15:27
Hi

Fortunately I work for a company that guarantees my hours and if my hours are short then I still get my fulls months wage anyway.

I haven't had as much luck finding private students recently. Several of my students have stopped classes for the summer and despite cutting my rates through the summer I haven't had any luck replacing them. I wasn't sure if this was normal during summertime as Moscow feels half empty at the moment or if it was connected to the crisis.

Beliieve me. It's normal and I've had five years of it. For the moment I just visit a few rich peoples houses and teach their children English. Come September they will all be back. It's traditional for Russians to have long Summer breaks, but don't worry and just concentrate on building up your students for September.

Bels
27-09-2009, 16:09
End of September 2009 nearly. And as promised, I would let you know of my findings.

I can honestly say that there appears to be no recession whatsoever in regards to slowing demand coming from students. In fact the demand has increased for me. I have a lot of cals from parents wating to come to their homes to teach their children. I also have small groups of children for my classroom in Gorki 10. I am virtually fully booked, although I am still worried about the coming next Summer 2010.:10806:

The only change I can see is an increased demand for young children to learn English from beginner level.

GaNozri
27-09-2009, 16:28
There is a Russian saying from the time of the Soviet-Chinese conflict:
- "Optimists learn English, pessimists learn Chinese, and realists learn Kalashnikov."
I think it is also true today.

Bels
27-09-2009, 16:45
There is a Russian saying from the time of the Soviet-Chinese conflict:
- "Optimists learn English, pessimists learn Chinese, and realists learn Kalashnikov."
I think it is also true today.

What can I say but Let us all support the optimists. :)

FatAndy
27-09-2009, 17:38
but Let us all support the optimists. - but act as realists... just for backup. ;) BTW learning Kalashnikov is very easy - only 9 parts, connectable in 13 sec.