PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast for Brits (and some courageous Canadians) a-la Russe

GMax
06-11-2004, 20:42
When cooking your oatmeal porridge, add a bit smetana, black or/and red caviar and a bit cut dill (no salt and sugar). Your porridge will become a cult cool porridge and you may even invite neighbours and familiars to get tons of compliments. Also you can replace oatmeal by buckwheat and your Russian familiars will be very amazed.

Gmax:p

trebor
06-11-2004, 21:45
GMax
might work with buckwheat but even the Scottish will turn their noses up at that recipe for porridge,
Try this:

2 portions
Porridge (the Russian kind)50 grams
Milk 350 grams(ml)
1 Apple (peeled, seeded and sliced)
Cinamon
Sultanas (Izume) 30 grams
100 grams sugar.

Place milk, porridge and sugar into a pan and bring to the boil.
Add cinamon, apple and sultanas (izume) and simmer for 6 minutes.
Pour into warm bowls and serve.
Great for breakfast................................or anytime!

Works with bananas instead of apples as well

Kingwillhe
06-11-2004, 21:55
Sorry mate.
As a cowardly Canadian I was hoping someone would respond to that recipe with a viable alternative!
All I have in the morning is Kifir and tea.

DPG
06-11-2004, 23:33
Why is it that almost every Russian I meet thinks that Brits constantly eat porridge??

The Scots maybe, but not the rest, and even the Scots don't eat it that often...

M-C
07-11-2004, 00:13
It's a trick!If you believe a whole nation indulges in the stuff you start thinking that the gooey stuff can't be that bad after all...

GMax
07-11-2004, 11:42
because I am neither Brit nor the Scottisch I have eaten such a kasha and found it was interesting when not often.

Of course, not all Russians think that English people eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning. But many of my Rissian firends do it as well as me. It is very healthy, much better than sandwiches.

As a partial Canadian, I am supporting Kingwillhe in his wish to see an alternative recipe. God keep our land glorious and free!
:agree:

DPG
07-11-2004, 12:31
Exactly - It is Russians who eat the stuff, not us - Bacon, sausages and eggs aren't called an English Breakfast for nothing you know!

What on earth is a "partial Canadian"??

koba65
07-11-2004, 13:01
Originally posted by DPG
Exactly - It is Russians who eat the stuff, not us - Bacon, sausages and eggs aren't called an English Breakfast for nothing you know!

What on earth is a "partial Canadian"??

Ah yes, Bacon, Sausages, eggs, beans - but what you guys do to tomatos is criminal! ;)

trebor
08-11-2004, 09:38
Originally posted by koba65
.......................but what you guys do to tomatos is criminal! ;)

Please explain, what do we do to tomatoes?

kniga
08-11-2004, 09:46
DPG,

Peas porridge hot,
peas porridge cold,
peas porrige in the pot,
three days old.

Of course the English eat porridge all the time as all Americans, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans know from the English nursery rhymes we grew up with!

koba65
08-11-2004, 09:49
Originally posted by trebor
Please explain, what do we do to tomatoes?

Slice the top off and sort of broil it (I think) leaving a mushy mess - at least that was how my breakfasts were served when I was there. It was the only thing I didn't care for, but the fried bread more than made up for it!

trebor
08-11-2004, 10:20
Okay, understood.
But that fried bread is a heart stopper!

DPG
08-11-2004, 11:38
Kniga -

I think you're getting confused with "Pease Pudding" which is something sometimes served with boiled pork...nothing like porridge at all...

Here's a recipe:

http://www.vanilla-pods.co.uk/pease_pudding.htm

kniga
08-11-2004, 12:03
DPG,

Not confused at all, lad! Just thought you might like the "Peas" vs. "Pease"! :-)

trebor
08-11-2004, 13:59
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DPG
[B]Kniga -

I think you're getting confused with "Pease Pudding" which is something sometimes served with boiled pork...nothing like porridge at all...

Pease pudding is a speciality from the North East of England and is tradionaly served with boiled ham.
Fantastic!

polly
08-11-2004, 19:26
is pease porridge sort of like what that latvian pea dish with bacon/ham? god that was to die for.

trebor
08-11-2004, 21:20
Originally posted by polly
is pease porridge sort of like what that latvian pea dish with bacon/ham? god that was to die for.

Polly,
pease pudding is split peas soaked in water over night.

Next day, they are simmered in ham stock 'till cooked tender then put the soup in a blender.
Luche chem sex!

DPG
08-11-2004, 22:00
Interesting how the thread changes from breakfast to this!

What are split peas in Russian, Trebor?? - I wouldn't mind trying it...also, what type of pork/ham cut is the best? A hock?

polly
11-11-2004, 17:40
trebor, sounds like what i know in the US as split pea soup.
and i luuuurrrrve it.

stefania2003
15-11-2004, 23:02
Yes, I like split pea soup:)
Trebor's porridge recipe is a classic and I must give it my mum who likes porridge for breakfast.
It seems that porridge would be inappropriate in a warm climate and also Italians appear to have their breakfast in bars where they can make a lot of noise over a capuccino and cornetto!

Shatneresque
16-11-2004, 07:58
Originally posted by polly

Polly,

Think the dish you had was composed of chick peas (a/k/a garbanzo beans), slab bacon (cut into chunks), and chopped onions. At least, that's what I had when I was in Riga.

Chick peas, both canned and dried, are available in Moscow. Check out Seventh Continent, Ramstore, or Perekrestok.

Good pea soup should also contain chopped onions and chunks of carrots (some people add chunks of potato as well).

Almost any cut of ham will do, as will salt pork and slab bacon. All three should be cut into cubes about 3/4 of an inch on each side.

"Split" peas are simply dried peas, either green or yellow.

JTK