PDA

View Full Version : Separate, MEMBERS ONLY politics forum

85StonePolarBear
06-11-2004, 12:55
I do not think I am the only one who has lost interest/never had much interest in the constant debates regarding political issues outside of Russia. Some of these debates lead to confusion among people who are usually pretty much on the same wavelength both on the Site and in real life, because of the complexity of the issues and the difficulty in condensing one's viewpoint and/or knowledge into a readable post.

On the other hand, some people really enjoy this kind of topic - why not set up a Bardak type membership based politics folder, not visible to anyone who does not wish to see it.

crom
06-11-2004, 13:22
Bear,
while I understand the idea of setting up another folder, I do object to the idea it should be members only.
We should not fall into a trap of elitism in the expat.
I do not think another folder will help very much. We may also end up in the future trying to categorize every form of discussion into a 'folder' and lose part of the fun of this site.

Hopefully, now that various elections have a result, some of the more vitriolic and downright rudeness may die down.

85StonePolarBear
06-11-2004, 13:27
Members only might not be the right term - it should be more like "membership upon request." I, for one, would not request membership.

Sparafucile
06-11-2004, 13:36
It is wrong, detrimental to the discussion, and disrespectful to the victims of conflict, that discussion of topics like - Beslan, the assault on Fallujah, the succession of Arafat, Sudan, earthquakes and other natural disasters etc - takes place in the same folder as puking contests and advice on the going rates for hookers at the BH. It also encourages frivolous and flaming replies.

There ought to be a separate discussion folder for these topics.

They do most certainly belong on Expat - by the whole nature of the board and community, we are (mostly) foreigners in Russia, or others with an interest in what happens abroad and the reactions of foreigners - often expat locals of the countries concerned - to those events.

Those of us who were here when Belgrade was being bombed, for example, will remember that Russian reaction to those events very pertinently affected foreigners living here at that time. So it's not sufficient to say "ah get lost and discuss it elsewhere on the 'net".

The only reason for requiring a "members only" requirement would be a practical one - it would discourage the "hit-and-run spammer" brigade. Even so, since automated logons are almost impossible on Expat, I think we are already reasonably protected from that, so I would be against a "members only" criteria for the folder.

DPG
06-11-2004, 13:38
I think that's rather like saying "don't force me to eat that apple in front of me".

If you don't wish to contribute to a thread, no one makes anyone do so...

Also, the fact that as has ben witnessed many times, a thread which starts out as something innocuous often can end up turning into a heated political debate...it would be impossible to do what you describe without endlessly splitting threads and disrupting the flow of exchange within them.

85StonePolarBear
06-11-2004, 13:42
The problem is that there are incessant political threads which then show up on the New Threads every time we check the site, and it makes the page cluttered. Also, since political debates do get very heated, a separate members only folder could allow for the use of certain language that some people feel they need to use to express themselves in such heated debates.

moscowmail
06-11-2004, 14:11
I think Polar has a point, at the moment I will open a folder that is open to registered members, then see how it goes

L

crom
06-11-2004, 14:18
MM
why not open folders for the various factions
republicans democratstories labor muslim (one each foor each sect) christian (how many sects) buddhist and so on etc etc
Indeed why not open a folder for every member, then we can all talk and argue with ourselves, then will there will be no conflict.
Paece in our time!

moscowmail
06-11-2004, 14:19
Originally posted by crom
MM
why not open folders for the various factions
republicans democratstories labor muslim (one each foor each sect) christian (how many sects) buddhist and so on etc etc
Indeed why not open a folder for every member, then we can all talk and argue with ourselves, then will there will be no conflict.
Paece in our time!

Hmmm, ok, hmmm..

New folder added, we wil see how it runs, please let me know if there are any abusers etc.

85StonePolarBear
06-11-2004, 14:24
MM
Paece in our time!

There are some members with multiple logins who indeed do merit their own folder......

Leslie Presley
06-11-2004, 15:41
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
There are some members with multiple logins who indeed do merit their own folder......

I suppose you have a highly developed capacity for self-delusion, so it is no problem for you to believe you are someone else.

85StonePolarBear
06-11-2004, 15:42
I am not myself. I am another. And if you don't believe me, *)7* your mother!

trebor
06-11-2004, 22:07
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
.....................a separate members only folder could allow for the use of certain language that some people feel they need to use to express themselves in such heated debates.

That would be a big mistake gentlemen.
I quite enjoy political debate on this site now. On the old site it quickly got out of hand. Lots of personal abuse. The one thing about political debate on this site is that when it gets going its still reasonably sane.
Put it into Bardak and it will VERY QUICKLY become:
"Listen you dumb f*cker.........." and then most people will be put off.
Nothing wrong with trying to debate without resorting to bad language. Sometimes difficult, but nothing wrong with self dicipline either.............................understand, you dumb f*cks!

Sparafucile
07-11-2004, 02:29
>> That would be a big mistake gentlemen <<

Greatly as it pains to me to have to agree with Trebor, I have to admit that both his point and his supporting rationale are admirable on this matter.

koba65
07-11-2004, 09:37
Originally posted by Sparafucile
>> That would be a big mistake gentlemen <<

Greatly as it pains to me to have to agree with Trebor, I have to admit that both his point and his supporting rationale are admirable on this matter.

Concur, but I must say I'm a little surprised you were suckered by the NASA pen story. Here's the real deal:

NASA never asked Paul C. Fisher to produce a pen. When the astronauts began to fly, like the Russians, they used pencils, but the leads sometimes broke and became a hazard by floating in the [capsule's] atmosphere where there was no gravity. They could float into an eye or nose or cause a short in an electrical device. In addition, both the lead and the wood of the pencil could burn rapidly in the pure oxygen atmosphere. Paul Fisher realized the astronauts needed a safer and more dependable writing instrument, so in July 1965 he developed the pressurized ball pen, with its ink enclosed in a sealed, pressurized ink cartridge. Fisher sent the first samples to Dr. Robert Gilruth, Director of the Houston Space Center. The pens were all metal except for the ink, which had a flash point above 200úC. The sample Space Pens were thoroughly tested by NASA. They passed all the tests and have been used ever since on all manned space flights, American and Russian. All research and developement costs were paid by Paul Fisher. No development costs have ever been charged to the government.

Because of the fire in Apollo 1, in which three Astronauts died, NASA required a writing instrument that would not burn in a 100% oxygen atmosphere. It also had to work in the extreme conditions of outer space:
In a vacuum.
With no gravity.
In hot temperatures of +150úC in sunlight and also in the cold shadows of space where the temperatures drop to -120úC
(NASA tested the pressurized Space Pens at -50úC, but because of the residential [sic] heat in the pen it also writes for many minutes in the cold shadows.)

Fisher spent over one million dollars in trying to perfect the ball point pen before he made his first successful pressurized pens in 1965. Samples were immediately sent to Dr. Robert Gilruth, Manager of the Houston Space Center, where they were thoroughly tested and approved for use in Space in September 1965. In December 1967 he sold 400 Fisher Space Pens to NASA for $2.95 each.

Lead pencils were used on all Mercury and Gemini space flights and all Russian space flights prior to 1968. Fisher Space Pens are more dependable than lead pencils and cannot create the hazard of a broken piece of lead floating through the gravity-less atmosphere.

polly
07-11-2004, 11:14

We should not fall into a trap of elitism in the expat.

too late - many already have!
the amount of cliquey nastiness that goes on both on and off screen is simply mind-boggling.