PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Excursion to the Altai

leoshum
10-06-2009, 12:39
Does anyone know when is the best time to visit Altai for photography ? I have got 2 to 3 weeks time in either mid September or mid OCtober.

I am actually from Sydney and planning to visit Altai after seeing gallery of Pavel Filatov on Altai Mountain.

No idea about how to organise transport , accomodation, itinery...

If anyone can help or let me know who to contact for help, please let me know (or if you know there are some photo tour organised by any photography club in Russia)

Thanks !

Katrine L
10-06-2009, 15:01
Does anyone know when is the best time to visit Altai for photography ? I have got 2 to 3 weeks time in either mid September or mid OCtober.

I am actually from Sydney and planning to visit Altai after seeing gallery of Pavel Filatov on Altai Mountain.

No idea about how to organise transport , accomodation, itinery...

If anyone can help or let me know who to contact for help, please let me know (or if you know there are some photo tour organised by any photography club in Russia)

Thanks !

Altay's great at any season! I've personally been there at all seasons and could confirm that! Early autumn is very colorful!

As for transport you can take a flight to Novosibirsk or Barnaul. Barnaul is better - way to mountains is about 3-4 hours from there (6 hours from Novosibirsk) and take taxi or bus from the airport (100 USD to Gorno-Altaisk - center of mounteneous area). There you can find a lot of small hotels or guest houses. You can also arrange a private house or room for stay. Actually I cant help with contacts of hotels as I always stayed at hotel reserved by friends. But I think it is not a problem to find a place for stay there even on arrival.

If I'm not mistaken we bought a tour here UniverSynergy Arts: Mega Adventures (http://www.mega-venture.com/)

or you may look at google search phototour altai - Поиск в Google

If you know russian it will be more wider choice.

mosaikmum
10-06-2009, 17:00
Hi Leoshum!
Welcome to the forum! :wavey: I'm from Sydney too! :)

Good luck with organising a trip to Altai! My husband and I'll be in Moscow July - August for 6 weeks....We have a few trips out of Moscow planned already but think we'll have to check out the Altai mountains too! :) Have contacts in both Novosibirsk and Barnaul so now have an excuse to go visit them as well!

FatAndy
11-06-2009, 16:57
2 mosaikmum and leoshum:
There should be flights of S7, UTair or KrasAIR from Novosibirsk to Irkutsk so you can catch Baikal lake too - really nice place.

leoshum
11-06-2009, 17:50
Got a quote from adventuretravel.ru

They want 4000 euro per person for 20 days ! That seems very expensive...

The problem is not getting there...it is more after arriving at the town, where do I find the guide to take us to those lakes ...

Katrine L
11-06-2009, 19:01
Got a quote from adventuretravel.ru

They want 4000 euro per person for 20 days ! That seems very expensive...

The problem is not getting there...it is more after arriving at the town, where do I find the guide to take us to those lakes ...

It depends what really you want to get there. Place for stay is not really a problem. What you'd like to visit - that's what really works. You need to have a good conductor there to see a really beautiful and virginal areas and local traditions - not just common tourist stays. We've been at places where even not all inhabitants visited. They were amazingly beautiful and powerful and were really worth of that money we payed. Even after 3 years past my memories are still very bright and inspiring. I hardly could forget that trips.

But you can choose more economic option - just to arrive Gorno-Altaisk or Chamal, find there a host\landlord for stay and he will probably give you guidlines where to go to see the places or may even accompany you for some fee.That will cost you almost nothing but quality....
Another way is to buy a standard tour and travel with other mass of tourists around Teletsk lake, caves etc. If this "food" will satisfy you it will be also cheaper I think..

leoshum
12-06-2009, 03:24
Could I ask how much did you pay roughly ? I have no idea...and don't know if they charge me extra because I am foreigner. If you don't mind, could you tell me which company did you use ?

If I arrive at Gorno-Altaisk or Chamal, how do I find a landlord or host ?

It depends what really you want to get there. Place for stay is not really a problem. What you'd like to visit - that's what really works. You need to have a good conductor there to see a really beautiful and virginal areas and local traditions - not just common tourist stays. We've been at places where even not all inhabitants visited. They were amazingly beautiful and powerful and were really worth of that money we payed. Even after 3 years past my memories are still very bright and inspiring. I hardly could forget that trips.

But you can choose more economic option - just to arrive Gorno-Altaisk or Chamal, find there a host\landlord for stay and he will probably give you guidlines where to go to see the places or may even accompany you for some fee.That will cost you almost nothing but quality....
Another way is to buy a standard tour and travel with other mass of tourists around Teletsk lake, caves etc. If this "food" will satisfy you it will be also cheaper I think..

Katrine L
12-06-2009, 21:47
Could I ask how much did you pay roughly ? I have no idea...and don't know if they charge me extra because I am foreigner. If you don't mind, could you tell me which company did you use ?

If I arrive at Gorno-Altaisk or Chamal, how do I find a landlord or host ?
We paid around $2.5 k for 8-10 days trip per person. It included accommodation at hotel (good hotel at the bank of Katun'), food, all transport during a stay there (we travel a lot almost all days while being there), experienced special educated conductors (4 for the group), participation in local rituals, tickets for every place we've been there. Actually it included all logistic and a stay - we did not pay a pence since we landed in Barnaul. And we traveled a lot around all Mountainous Altai - visited mountains, valleys, and ravines, some special places, caves etc.
So our trip price consisted of tours price + air tickets Moscow to Barnaul. Sometimes you have to pay taxi to\from airport if you arrive later or vice versa need to leave earlier a bit. Plus souvenirs if you buy some.

How to find landlord by yourself? I think the easiest way is to ask a taxi driver - to bring you at one of hotels or private guesthouses that are on the bank of Katun' river. There are plenty of them. Many Muscovites and locals from Novosibirsk have built big and small houses for rent out there. But anyway you need to have some conductor who shows you the places after you arrived. Or to have a plan what youd like to visit. But actually information at Internet is not really full about that area. You can try to find from locals but what he can really show to you - depends on your luck and of course it depends on your fortune. This is not a "civilized" tourist developed area with standard routs and ready excursions at every corner- it's a bit wild. And of course it requires speaking some Russian to communicate. People are kind there but very few of them really speak English. My two contacts whom I met on a plane to Barnaul went there for weekend without any preliminary booking. As they told me after they rented a room at wood house at local village and walk at outskirts at first day and then take a trip to Teletskoe lake. They said they had a good walk but I think they could get much more if their trip would be more organized.

You can try to take a horse trip as well - that's give more choice to move around.

But it is better to be well prepared and anyway to have a good conductors there.

You can have a look at some pictures that my friend has posted after our trip at web. There is not so lot of landscapes but maybe it gives you some imagination.Веб-альбомы Picasa - Unika - Altay - May 2006 (http://picasaweb.google.ru/christine.unika/AltayMay2006#)