PDA

View Full Version : Another marriage to a Russian question...

voyageur
09-06-2009, 01:37
Hi,
I am a U.S. citizen living in the U.S. and I recently became engaged to a Russian woman. Our plans originally were to be married in Russia and we also plan for me to live with her in Russia and begin the process for permanent residency. However, my young adult children understandably want to meet their future stepmother before we are married and we have talked about my fiancee visiting here in the U.S. before the wedding. Yesterday, a friend of mine asked if it would be possible for us to be married in the U.S. and then I come to Russia after the wedding? Would my fiancee need a K-1 fiancee visa from the U.S. or could she just come on a tourist visa if she doesn't plan to stay here? I know it's a weird question, but I've never been one to do things the easy way!

Kraven Morehead
09-06-2009, 03:45
Hi,
I am a U.S. citizen living in the U.S. and I recently became engaged to a Russian woman. Our plans originally were to be married in Russia and we also plan for me to live with her in Russia and begin the process for permanent residency. However, my young adult children understandably want to meet their future stepmother before we are married and we have talked about my fiancee visiting here in the U.S. before the wedding. Yesterday, a friend of mine asked if it would be possible for us to be married in the U.S. and then I come to Russia after the wedding? Would my fiancee need a K-1 fiancee visa from the U.S. or could she just come on a tourist visa if she doesn't plan to stay here? I know it's a weird question, but I've never been one to do things the easy way!

Not like an K-1 expert, because I am Canadian.
I would change things in two ways- document wedding and ceremony wedding.
Russian bureaucracy is horrible at best and US government is scared of its own shadow. I would follow a K-1 Visa approach and get married in the US and registar it in Russia. It cleans up many problems that you will have trying the other way around. Tourist visa will depend on how many countries she has visited and returned, how wealthy she is, criminal record or not, how well she does in an interview, and whether she has a reason to return to Russia.

If I was you, I would have the Ceremony in Russia and the document wedding via K-1 visa in the USA. Getting married in the USA would give you more flexibility to choose either place to live.

A good forum for K-1 Visa is visajourney.com

DDT
09-06-2009, 05:40
As far as I know she could just go on a tourist visa and get married and then return to Russia. Nobody can stop you getting married, they can only temporarily stop her from immigrating. Check with you state laws to see what documents she will need to satisfy their requirements for the marriage, and do yourself a favor and have them translated into English before she leaves Russia......it's easier.

This site has good resourses, check it out VisaJourney.com : Family and Marriage Immigration to the USA (http://www.visajourney.com)