PDA

View Full Version : Depleted Uranium

Qdos
08-06-2009, 23:10
Yes, it's been mentioned before, however it really needs its own thread to benefit from proper debate, and to kick off I'm linking to an article which suggests that a particular fungus can clean up the ill effects of DU traces which remain in the soil of a battleground.

Cleaning up depleted uranium with fungi | COSMOS magazine (http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/1987/cleaning-depleted-uranium-with-fungi)

British scientists have now cultivated a variety of fungi that can mop up depleted uranium (DU) dust from the soil and turn it into a form less likely to get taken up be people and other organisms.

Does it really cause birth defects? Even cancer? Is it responsible for what has been dubbed 'Gulf War Syndrome' and what are the long term likely ill effects of it in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the Balkans where it's been used more widely than anywhere else.

Kraven Morehead
09-06-2009, 00:17
Yes, it's been mentioned before, however it really needs its own thread to benefit from proper debate, and to kick off I'm linking to an article which suggests that a particular fungus can clean up the ill effects of DU traces which remain in the soil of a battleground.

Cleaning up depleted uranium with fungi | COSMOS magazine (http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/1987/cleaning-depleted-uranium-with-fungi)

Does it really cause birth defects? Even cancer? Is it responsible for what has been dubbed 'Gulf War Syndrome' and what are the long term likely ill effects of it in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the Balkans where it's been used more widely than anywhere else.

Don't they use it as the core for shells?
I know the A-10 Warthog uses Depleted Uranium Core shells in its deadly gun.

Weapon systems
A side-view drawing of the A-10's GAU-8/A Avenger gun and its approximate location in the fuselage

Although the A-10 can carry considerable disposable stores, its primary built-in weapon is the 30 mm GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun. One of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, it fires large depleted uranium armor-piercing shells. In the original design, the pilot could switch between two rates of fire: 2,100 or 4,200 rounds per minute;[20] this was changed to a fixed rate of 3,900 rounds per minute.[21] The cannon takes about half a second to come up to speed, so 50 rounds are fired during the first second, 65 or 70 rounds per second thereafter. The gun is precise; it can place 80% of its shots within a 40-foot (12.4 m) circle from 4,000 feet (1,220 m) while in flight.[22] The GAU-8 is optimized for a slant range of 4,000 feet (1,220 m) with the A-10 in a 30 degree dive.[23] According to the A-10 exhibit at Imperial War Museum Duxford in England the A-10 is able to destroy any tank at a range of 1 mile (1.6 km) with one burst of depleted uranium rounds.[citation needed]

I think they are planning to give North Korea some Uranium via A-10 style.

Qdos
09-06-2009, 00:33
YouTube- U.S. Army Depleted Uranium Training film (with edits)

AstroNoodle
09-06-2009, 08:43
DU is horrible and causes terrible birth defects. I would say that Gulf War syndrome came from an amalgamation of chemicals etc. which were blowing through the air. The Gulf Theater was a total biohazard for troops. GWS was and is real.

I would love to be proven wrong about DU, but I fear that the evidence for birth defects is overwhelming.

fenrir
09-06-2009, 09:31
DU is horrible and causes terrible birth defects. I would say that Gulf War syndrome came from an amalgamation of chemicals etc. which were blowing through the air. The Gulf Theater was a total biohazard for troops. GWS was and is real.

I would love to be proven wrong about DU, but I fear that the evidence for birth defects is overwhelming.

You got any evidence of any of that? I posted a link to a NATO article about DU and it clearly showed how dangerous it isn't compared to what most people believe. Uranium causes heavy metal poisoning and affects the kidneys. Contrary to popular belief, people don't get radiation poisoning from DU.

Kvartiraokhotnik
09-06-2009, 17:40
You got any evidence of any of that? I posted a link to a NATO article about DU and it clearly showed how dangerous it isn't compared to what most people believe. Uranium causes heavy metal poisoning and affects the kidneys. Contrary to popular belief, people don't get radiation poisoning from DU.

Lets store it in your flat, eh?

Personally I wouldnt touch the stuff. I seem to have a recollection of Uranium being highly unstable. But I do use chalk and fennel as toothpaste, so you probably all think im a nutter anyway......

fenrir
09-06-2009, 18:23
Lets store it in your flat, eh?

Personally I wouldnt touch the stuff. I seem to have a recollection of Uranium being highly unstable. But I do use chalk and fennel as toothpaste, so you probably all think im a nutter anyway......

You talk like RL on this topic: opinion but no proof. And if the uranium is so unstable, how are they able to use it for armor piercing ammo?

Qdos
09-06-2009, 18:39
Depleted Uranium isn't unstable. That's not the issue. It only gives off alpha particles which are safe as long as the DU hasn't become embedded in your body in some fashion (dust, schrapnel...)

If it gets inside your body then it's another story.

The DU shells are not solid DU, it's encased inside other metals. This is in just the same way that DU reinforced armor plating is a laminated product, with the DU sandwiched between other metals, such as steel.

See the video embedded earlier in the thread.

I have a feeling 'Chalk & Fennel' toothpaste might be more dangerous... :cool:

Russian Lad
09-06-2009, 18:44
You talk like RL on this topic: opinion but no proof.

Have you watched the US military training film Qdos has posted here? What other proof do you need? Even if the US army admits its numerous hazards, why Fenrir can't oblige us all to follow suit?

Kvartiraokhotnik
09-06-2009, 19:12
Depleted Uranium isn't unstable. That's not the issue. It only gives off alpha particles which are safe as long as the DU hasn't become embedded in your body in some fashion (dust, schrapnel...)

If it gets inside your body then it's another story.

The DU shells are not solid DU, it's encased inside other metals. This is in just the same way that DU reinforced armor plating is a laminated product, with the DU sandwiched between other metals, such as steel.

See the video embedded earlier in the thread.

I have a feeling 'Chalk & Fennel' toothpaste might be more dangerous... :cool:

It gives off alpha particles BECAUSE its unstable. The nucleus to be more precise is unstable, and so it chucks out an alpha particle thereby ridding itself of the instability.

It seems more than a little suspicious that this stuff was related to gulf war syndromes and increased cancer victims in Yugoslavia. DU is really little different from natural uranite, as it mostly contains the U 238 isotope...the same stuff Stubblefield's kids and Marie Curie died from.....

fenrir
09-06-2009, 21:36
It gives off alpha particles BECAUSE its unstable. The nucleus to be more precise is unstable, and so it chucks out an alpha particle thereby ridding itself of the instability.

It seems more than a little suspicious that this stuff was related to gulf war syndromes and increased cancer victims in Yugoslavia. DU is really little different from natural uranite, as it mostly contains the U 238 isotope...the same stuff Stubblefield's kids and Marie Curie died from.....

Got any statistics of deaths from it in Yugoslavia or Iraq?

Kraven Morehead
09-06-2009, 22:37
Have you watched the US military training film Qdos has posted here? What other proof do you need? Even if the US army admits its numerous hazards, why Fenrir can't oblige us all to follow suit?
US Army never lies!!!!

Qdos
09-06-2009, 22:48
US Army never lies!!!!

You can find plenty more articles in the media which demonstrate the doubts over the safety of DU weaponry to civilians and military personnel (other than those the DU munitions are aimed at I mean!) and, heigh ho... why should it surprise anyone if a radioactive substance is harmful to human health? :rolleyes:

Kvarti, by unstable - in radioactive terms - I was referring to the fact it's not about to meltdown or explode spontaneously. It's stable in it's alpha radiating state, that's the norm for the stuff after all... the danger comes from those alpha particles when any DU enters your body.

Kraven Morehead
10-06-2009, 00:58
You can find plenty more articles in the media which demonstrate the doubts over the safety of DU weaponry to civilians and military personnel (other than those the DU munitions are aimed at I mean!) and, heigh ho... why should it surprise anyone if a radioactive substance is harmful to human health? :rolleyes:

Kvarti, by unstable - in radioactive terms - I was referring to the fact it's not about to meltdown or explode spontaneously. It's stable in it's alpha radiating state, that's the norm for the stuff after all... the danger comes from those alpha particles when any DU enters your body.

Damn pinko liberal taliban commie Insert your favorite line from Dr Strangelove :bash:

I was just joking.