PDA

View Full Version : Medical question



sir Gay
03-11-2004, 09:28
Dears,

I've been sick ever since mid October. First, I was diagnsed with flu. Later my doc said it was anguina, yet later - bonchites. Well, last week I took a course of antibiotics (called "Sumamed" - I used it before and personally know the guy who inented the medicine). This year it doesn't seem to be helpul. My body temperature keeps 37,2 all the time (even fter the antibiotics). This kind of bothers me. Do you also think it's weird. My therapist says my organizm is building its immunity, but it's been three weeks now...

And my insurance is not a regular one, every year my employer pays 600 bucks for it, so i'm assuming the medical exam was done properly. All blood/urina tests show I am healthy while I feel sick and feverish.

hank you, all those who would gimme anyhints n the issue.

P.S. i'm not HIV positive (just in case you need to know)

polly
03-11-2004, 12:42
Aside from your temperature being slightly higher than the standardized "normal," what other symptoms do you have?

how long did you take the antibiotics? if you feel it has not been as effective this time around, it may be because your body developed an immunity to that antibiotic. That sometimes happens when we don't take antibiotics for the full recommended period of time.

DPG
03-11-2004, 14:05
I agree with Polly re the antibiotics - go back to the doctor and demand some topshelf, mega-powerful antibiotics at a fairly high dosage. I find that Doxycycline works well for flu/bronchial infections and the type of thing you mention above...

Maine Surfer
03-11-2004, 14:40
First recorded case of Marsian fever...What do we do now?:confused:

Sunstorm
03-11-2004, 15:18
This is called "subfibrile temperature" and many people suffer this for years, for various reasons. Usually caused by some hidden infection in organism and weakened immune system. You might want to check your lungs and take a course for strengthening of the immune system.

I had this for about 1,5 years, several years ago. Ended up with pneumonia. Now I am ok, but then I had my butt turned to the pin cushion... in my case all this sh** was provoked by nervous stress, smoking, etc.

Anyway, go check this again with the doctors (immunologist)

sir Gay
03-11-2004, 23:11
Originally posted by polly
Aside from your temperature being slightly higher than the standardized "normal," what other symptoms do you have?

how long did you take the antibiotics? if you feel it has not been as effective this time around, it may be because your body developed an immunity to that antibiotic. That sometimes happens when we don't take antibiotics for the full recommended period of time.

thanx, polly, sunstorm, DPG and MS! other symptoms would be: (1) diarea, (2) dizziness, (3) muscular weakness (slight), (4) headaches and (5) in the morning it's not the alarm clock which wakes me up but my sore throat...

sir Gay
03-11-2004, 23:14
Originally posted by Sunstorm
This is called "subfibrile temperature" and many people suffer this for years, for various reasons. Usually caused by some hidden infection in organism and weakened immune system. You might want to check your lungs and take a course for strengthening of the immune system.

I had this for about 1,5 years, several years ago. Ended up with pneumonia. Now I am ok, but then I had my butt turned to the pin cushion... in my case all this sh** was provoked by nervous stress, smoking, etc.

Anyway, go check this again with the doctors (immunologist)

stress, smoking... did you finally have to quit tobacco?

Sadie
04-11-2004, 08:10
Sumamed is a very strong medicine and not the best one. There was a whole campaign agains it a couple of years ago. I am not a doctor, but no wonder your body cant rebuild immunity after it. Vitamins and immunologic medication could help i think, I agree with Sunstorm. There is a very good immunologic center in Kashirskoe shosse, right near the metro. I would recommend to turn there, especially if thing go worse.

sir Gay
04-11-2004, 11:17
Originally posted by Sadie
Sumamed is a very strong medicine and not the best one. There was a whole campaign agains it a couple of years ago. I am not a doctor, but no wonder your body cant rebuild immunity after it. Vitamins and immunologic medication could help i think, I agree with Sunstorm. There is a very good immunologic center in Kashirskoe shosse, right near the metro. I would recommend to turn there, especially if thing go worse.

thank you, sadie! i live right two stations from kashirka!

Shatneresque
04-11-2004, 11:51
I've had these bronchial symptoms a number of times in the years that I've lived in Moscow, and they've never responded to antibiotic treatment. They may be caused by a viral infection; most likely, though, they're brought on by just breathing the shitty air here, though the climate, the stress of living here, and some underlying cause for hypersensitivity on your part may be involved as well.

Sometimes I've been sick for months at a time, coughing and unable to breathe (without a temperature or other symptoms, though). If I go away from Moscow, however (e.g., to the Baltic or the Med), I'm cured almost instantly.

The only sort of medication that I've found to be of help is a bronchial inhaler, for which you normally need a prescription here. Believe it or not, you can actually get both of these without having to undergo an examination at the American Medical Center, just off Prospekt Mira. The inhalers cost only $6--7. Ask for Sergey in the Pharmacy Department.

JTK

sir Gay
04-11-2004, 13:07
Originally posted by Shatneresque
I've had these bronchial symptoms a number of times in the years that I've lived in Moscow, and they've never responded to antibiotic treatment. They may be caused by a viral infection; most likely, though, they're brought on by just breathing the shitty air here, though the climate, the stress of living here, and perhaps some underlying cause for hypersensitivity on your part may be involved as well.

Sometimes I've been sick for months at a time, coughing and unable to breathe (without a temperature or other symptoms, though). If I go away from Moscow, however (e.g., to the Baltic or the Med), I'm cured almost instantly.

The only sort of medication that I've found to be of help is a bronchial inhaler, for which you normally need a prescription here. Believe it or not, you can actually get both of these without having to undergo an examination at the American Medical Center, just off Prospekt Mira. The inhalers cost only $6--7. Ask for Sergey in the Pharmacy Department.

JTK

thank you!!! last time i left this babylon to see my mom i even toppedsmoking because even the air in her town was tasty and clear - lots of pines and green...

Lady Marmalade
04-11-2004, 21:11
Okay as a person who is prone to Bronchitis on a yearly basis, I will throw in my two cents worth in terms of getting you through your latest bout. I am going to assume you are coughing, but you didn't specify what you are coughing up, thin and clear is not serious, yellow and thin is not yet serious, yellow and thick and you are running into problems, green and thick, me thinks you better be seen to!!!!!! I've had the green and thick for six months with fever in '97, let me tell you Korean Air pollution is notorious especially when you live next to the garbage dump where they burn everything including plastics. Not only that, I've been visited by the nasty reminder of it every year since as my colds have usually succombed to bronchitis every winter there after.

First off, get a humidifier, very important to put moisture back in the air at your house. Can't afford one? No problem, steam yourself over a bowl of hot water for at least fifteen minutes in the evening to start loosening the sputum in your chest cavitity. If you are lucky and don't pay for your water, turn your shower to as hot as it goes and steam the bathroom up for a while and let it spread throughout your house to put moisture back into the air.

Take at least 2500 mg of Vitamin C daily, plus some iron. Actually, just take a Centrum a day and those 20 ruble Vitamin C thingys that don't taste so great but are none the less what they say they are.

Do you want to suppress your cough or bring up the fluid, this is your choice depending on how well you have been sleeping at night. If you want to loosen the fluid and bring it up, in this case you will want an expectorant and or a broncodilator, anything like Albuterol, Ventolin, Proventil, google them, find out their generic drug name and see what matches at the Russian Pharmacy.

Gargle with warm salt water, this will fix your throat over a couple of days. Make it as salty as you can stand it and gargle for at leat thirty seconds at a go. Tastes yucky, works miracles.

To keep the bacteria from building up on the back of your throat again, also follow up three times a day with a mouth wash, Plax will do, make sure it is antibacterial. A throat spray like Cloraseptic will also kill off pain and act as an antiseptic, not sure it's available here, but it's active ingredient is Phenol, so you can substitute a Russian version there.

Next thing, antibiotics, I was on them for eons, but the ones you want to be on for Bronchitis are Amoxil, Tetracycline, Septra, or Ampicillin, pretty standard as antibiotics, though Tetracycline and Amoxil work the best in my opinion depending on the bug.

It is also you choice, but if you can stand it, make sure you get in a brisk walk for at least twenty minutes daily to get the blood moving.

Risky ones. You do also have the the choice to be on prednisone, I probably didn't spell that correctly, it will bring up your immune system, but remember that it is a steroid and you don't want to be on it for a long length of time. You can also use valium, half a ten mg tablet or the ten mg, it does believe it or not act as a mild broncodilator as well as being used to regulate a speeded up heart rate due to other nasty pills, keep in mind that it is highly addictive over long term use, so use at your own risk.


If I think of anything else, I will let you know. I have seven days worth of Korean drugs for severe bronchitis here with me in Russia, you are welcome to them, the expectorant pills are brutal, i.e. they work very well, but I warn you that 90% of my hair fell out over the course of this year, could have been a reaction to the drugs, could have been stress, who will ever know so it is your choice whether you want them. If you need any other help, let me know.

Cheers, Caroline

sir Gay
05-11-2004, 08:13
Oh, my dear Caroline! I am touched! How lucky you hubby is!

Welp, my problem with coughing is that i don't actually cough. The doc hears all those noises in my lungs but i don't cough up all the crap out of myself. i have those ticklings in the throat only when i lie down to sleep, then a very dry coughing starts, then i take a couple of Mukaltine pills and it stops. so, i think all the bad moisture stays nside me. so, i'd better make myself cough as soon as possible.

morning are the worst. when i wake up have swollen eyes, sore throat, my eyes hardly open because of all the pus coming out of lacrimal canals, and i have "numb" ears (like as if my blood pressure is very low or high, but the tonometer hows my blood pressure is OK).

gonna see my doc again today at 11:40. and i am so grateful that you all are willing to help me feel better. hey, i think one more symptom is that i became extremly sensitive and tearful (am i dying?) :)

archik
05-11-2004, 12:26
Dear Sir-All 5 symthomps described remind me of Epstine-Bar virus elevation -so called- chronic fatique syndrome - usually happens after fly and could stay for a while if not treated properly- blood test for EBV can be done-(it's mononucleosis-or kissing disease)- anyway- do blood test for EBV just to cross out this thing - if diagnoisted with this - your medicine would be chinese herbs-vitamins-and diet-good luck

sir Gay
05-11-2004, 13:27
Originally posted by archik
Dear Sir-All 5 symthomps described remind me of Epstine-Bar virus elevation -so called- chronic fatique syndrome - usually happens after fly and could stay for a while if not treated properly- blood test for EBV can be done-(it's mononucleosis-or kissing disease)- anyway- do blood test for EBV just to cross out this thing - if diagnoisted with this - your medicine would be chinese herbs-vitamins-and diet-good luck

will ask my doc to forward me for the test. and thanx, man!

PJB
08-11-2004, 18:02
The medical advice here while well intended is quite frightening. Do not treat yourself with anything (including herbals) unless it is approved by your doctor. DO NOT take steroids as they SUPPRESS the immune system and could make any infection deadly. Sore throat and puss in eyes should be tested with a cuture and antibiotic sensitivity test, then the appropriate antibiotics ordered. If your infection is viral antibiotics are a waste of time and money and could make you worse.

Sunstorm
09-11-2004, 00:48
PJB is right. Self-treating could be pretty harmful.
The earlier you see the doctors the better.

sir Gay
09-11-2004, 20:24
:)

thanx, good samaritans! :) i do feel much better. i'm assuming some or all of you prayed for me ;) my doctor is hilarious. it's her final year with the policlinic and she seems to be thick of hearing, short sighted, and annoyed with her patients. maybe everytime i saw her she made me laugh and that's what probably cured me (for the timebeing).

again, thanx to all of you who read, shared your advice, prayed for my health. i owe you.

love,
sir (again) Gay