PDA

View Full Version : Food prices UK/Russia comparison

Voot
30-05-2009, 14:37
Having been here for about four weeks, I thought I'd do a 'food shop' price comparison. Maybe some of you might be interested in the results. My methodology involved doing a regular shop (with all basic items) in an 'economical' Russian supermarket (a small one). When I got home I then did an online shop via the Tesco UK website, to compare the prices. My results showed that the Russian shop was roughly one third cheaper than the UK shop. In particular, dairy products were considerably more expensive on the UK shop. Many items (such as beer, bread, juice, nuts, jam) were a similar price. So, for those who are interested: Russian grocery shopping is roughly one third cheaper (at the moment).

kebab
01-06-2009, 07:26
It also depends what you are buying. If you were buying locally produced items they would be cheaper, its foreign items that are more expensive

FatAndy
01-06-2009, 11:48
2 kebab:
locally produced items they would be cheaper, its foreign items that are more expensive - not obviously. Sometimes imported food is much cheaper. But it is being leveraged in retail chains (again, sometimes).;)

Also it depends on where to buy. Kopeika and Pyaterochka look like discounters but you can find some products here more expensive than mid-market price.

Qdos
01-06-2009, 13:06
I've gotta remark that in provincial Russia the same is not true. I spend 40% more on provisions in Nab Chelny than I do in the UK, with some items (and I'm not talking real luxury goods either!) costing as much as 400% more than they do at home... :suspect:

Milagros
04-08-2009, 22:02
It also depends on the shop location. For example, I live in the central part, near the Red Square, and all the supermarkets here are 10 or 15 % more expansive than in the other parts of the city. So, when we compared the price difference we decided that for us it will be more cheap and comfortable to buy food by Internet shop Utkonos (utkonos.ru). You have to register and than you can choose the items you wants (yoo have do it in 1 hour), than you receive the order at home delivered by courier at the indicated time period. The delivery costs 99 rubles, but you save your time and money!

Sansara
04-08-2009, 23:05
For the completeness of picture you should try food-markets as well, especially somewhere closer to the suburbs. Prices 15-20% less and bunch of impressions are guaranteed:D:D:D

rwestfold
25-09-2009, 15:29
This was something I was worried about when moving out next week. I really appreciate that you did this. Gives me an insight as to what things will cost.

Also thank you for the online shopping advice. All good.

Rory

:12035:

Bels
25-09-2009, 16:31
I would be very surprised if you found beer or cigarettes much the same in Moscow, as they are considerably cheaper in Moscow. But don't buy imported British Bombardier, Newcastle Brown ale, or Guinness for example, as these prices are ridiculous in Moscow.

Generally groceries and convenient foods are much dearer in Moscow or definately in Moscow region.

Aussie1973
02-10-2009, 14:14
It also depends on the shop location. For example, I live in the central part, near the Red Square, and all the supermarkets here are 10 or 15 % more expansive than in the other parts of the city. So, when we compared the price difference we decided that for us it will be more cheap and comfortable to buy food by Internet shop Utkonos (utkonos.ru). You have to register and than you can choose the items you wants (yoo have do it in 1 hour), than you receive the order at home delivered by courier at the indicated time period. The delivery costs 99 rubles, but you save your time and money!

Do you use the online shop in Russian? I could not see the word 'angleeski' anywhere!

tvadim133
02-10-2009, 14:29
It would really difficult to do shopping on sites without Russian due they are oriented to the russian cusotmers (foreigner customers are too small).

But sites are quite the same as anywhere and pix of food (of international brands at least) will hep for sure.

Rhubard Geoff
02-10-2009, 14:58
If food prices are 40% cheaper here I must be living in some parallel universe where the opposite applies.

Blackberry jam
05-10-2009, 15:18
My UK friend expat is making shoping in Perekrstok. He is always annoyed about everything-expensive in Russia!

trebor
05-10-2009, 15:35
I think if you are comparing prices then it's important to compare quality as well.
Russian food stuffs are often cheaper but also poorer in quality too.

tvadim133
05-10-2009, 15:45
My UK friend expat is making shoping in Perekrstok. He is always annoyed about everything-expensive in Russia!

My recent bill for Viktoria where last time I bought very usual set of food (the same price level as in perekryostok):

1. coffee Nescafe- 3.5 USD;
2. a can with calmon - 0.92 USD
3. sausages 0.5 = 4.3 USD
4. sugar 1 kg - 1 USD;
5. 10 egs= 1 USD
6. Rice 1 kg- 0,72 USD
8. 4 frozen burgers - 2.4 USD
9. apples 2 kg- 3,5 USD

Bels
05-10-2009, 16:36
The effort you made is much appreciated. But how many of us here do you think visualise prices in the dollar. Perhaps a table with Euro/GBP/rouble/ and dollar might be a good idea. For a lot of us you might as well have written in Kronas or Yen.

My recent bill for Viktoria where last time I bought very usual set of food (the same price level as in perekryostok):

1. coffee Nescafe- 3.5 USD;
2. a can with calmon - 0.92 USD
3. sausages 0.5 = 4.3 USD
4. sugar 1 kg - 1 USD;
5. 10 egs= 1 USD
6. Rice 1 kg- 0,72 USD
8. 4 frozen burgers - 2.4 USD
9. apples 2 kg- 3,5 USD

Bels
05-10-2009, 16:38
It would really difficult to do shopping on sites without Russian due they are oriented to the russian cusotmers (foreigner customers are too small).

But sites are quite the same as anywhere and pix of food (of international brands at least) will hep for sure.

It's obviously not an international site then, is it. If it can't have at the very least English.

GaNozri
05-10-2009, 16:40
I think if you are comparing prices then it's important to compare quality as well.
Russian food stuffs are often cheaper but also poorer in quality too.

Depends which food stuffs. With meat, i somewhat agree. But dairy products, as well as bakery, and frozen vegetables are of a by far superior quality than the same in N. America. And cheaper too. Russian made chickens are tastier than any other chicken I've tried.

But, if one's idea of gourmet is McCain foods and hormone fed monster-turkeys, they would be indeed considered a "delicacy" here.

rosieredwood
05-10-2009, 16:52
The basic "basket" of groceries tends to be less expensive, such as your starches (flour, buckwheat, rice, pasta, potatoes, bread); plus "doktorskaya" sausage (Bologna), dairy products, and some fruit and veggies, like tomatoes, cucumbers, apples.

Other groceries are decidely more expensive than their analogous groceries in Western Europe or the States.

Voot
05-10-2009, 21:05
When I did the original shop (ie the OP), it was only for a basic basket of items. If you want luxury items, then you can't exactly expect a cheap shop, now can you?!! And it was a third less when compared to an online shop at Tescos. I think people need to assess exactly where they are shopping at (in Moscow), before claiming things are much more expensive. For instance, you can't compare Waitrose or M&S prices with Tescos or Kwik Save in UK. My test was conducted at an 'economical' supermarket.

tvadim133
05-10-2009, 21:11
I am just a bit conservative, $ come to my mind first, next time I will do it in some special report and will attach power point slides with comparison analisis with all possible currancies including ukrainian grivna, if .... you really need it.. ?