PDA

View Full Version : Creature comforts.

Sheepy
29-10-2004, 14:55
Whenever I go back to the UK (which is not very often) I always seem to lug back with me the entire contents of Boots the Chemists. My first aid kit looks something like this:

Hactos cough mixture
Night nurse
Lemsip
Olbas oil
Olbas oil pastilles
Vicks vapour rub (would have died on several occasions without this little gem!)
Vicks Sinex nasal spray
Vicks inhaler (stick)
Blistex (blisteez) for unsightly cold sores
Victory V's (aniseed flavour)
Fishermen's friend
TCP
Dettol
Optrex
Bonjela

Am interested in hearing about the things you simply cannot survive without.

DPG
29-10-2004, 15:01
Paracetamol caplets
Tums
Vaseline lipcare
Vicks inhaler
Lemsip capsules
Shockwaves Hairgel (Ok, not actually in first aid kit)
Vitamins
Herbal sleeping tablets e.g. Nytol green, HRI Night.

Maine Surfer
29-10-2004, 16:35
All things wanted can be found in Moscow.

DPG
29-10-2004, 16:37
For twice or three times the price and/or after a day of searching...

85StonePolarBear
29-10-2004, 16:40
Only thing I buy abroad is calcium carbonate based antacid tabs (Setlers/Tums/UK generic) as I can't tolerate the formula used here - but I rarely use more than ten pills a year so the 200 or so I buy when I travel eventually go to waste.

DPG
29-10-2004, 16:43
Are the Rennies (for example) that one can purchase here different or less effective than those in other places??

85StonePolarBear
29-10-2004, 16:48
Problem is that Rennie contains magnesium hydroxide, which does not agree with me. Rennie is Rennie all over the world and is good stuff - just that some people are susceptible to a certain side effect that is best discussed in Bardak, and is related to a recent thread started and abandoned by Kshisya!

polly
29-10-2004, 23:28
paracetamol can be found in pharmacies all over moscow for 3 rubles per 10 pills or less, which i consider a pretty good deal considering they cost about $5 per 12 pills where i come from.

lucytupper
30-10-2004, 00:05
Why would you need all that medication?

Eat a balanced diet, exercise and take in plenty of vitamin C and you can throw them all away.

You are merely treating the symtoms. The cause is you are so unfit!

am4rw
30-10-2004, 00:09
I found the reference to Blistex for cold sores curious. The absolute best thing for cold sores is Acyclovir. We always stock up in Russia as it's prescription-only in the U.S. (In the U.S. it's almost exclusively prescribed for genital herpes, not oral)

DPG
30-10-2004, 00:49
Originally posted by polly
paracetamol can be found in pharmacies all over moscow for 3 rubles per 10 pills or less, which i consider a pretty good deal considering they cost about $5 per 12 pills where i come from.

HOW MUCH!! $5 for 12 pills! In the UK it costs about $0.70 for 16 tablets each 500mg. I'd heard medicine in the US was expensive but - WOW!

I know what you mean about finding cheap tablets here for rubles each - I just find that they never actually do anything (to me anyway!).

Smurfette
30-10-2004, 04:35
am4 - acyclovir cream for cold sores is OTC in the UK.

Sheepy
30-10-2004, 07:46
Originally posted by DPG

I know what you mean about finding cheap tablets here for rubles each - I just find that they never actually do anything (to me anyway!).

Ditto!

85StonePolarBear
30-10-2004, 10:12
Originally posted by DPG

Stick with the better brands of Russian medication if you want to save money - Akhripin and ICN come to mind, although with ICN under new (Abramovich) ownership, I don't know whether standards have slipped. Akhripin is good enough to do some licenced manufacturing for Bristol-Myers Squibb, so I guess their meds meet decent standards.

Sadie
30-10-2004, 23:46
Originally posted by DPG
For twice or three times the price and/or after a day of searching...
This is the tel # of the information service on all drug stores of Moscow (in russian only i guess). Just ask for what you want
797-63-66
here's a website where you can also make a search:
http://www.medlux.ru/dsearch/index.html

Leslie Presley
31-10-2004, 00:22
Water, air and cleanliness are the chief articles in my pharmacy.

DPG
31-10-2004, 11:26
Leslie - me too, but when you actually live in Russia, you often find you need a little more...

85StonePolarBear
31-10-2004, 11:41
Originally posted by Sadie
[B]This is the tel # of the information service on all drug stores of Moscow (in russian only i guess). Just ask for what you want
797-63-66

797 6 36 6 is actually the 36.6 chain's proprietary hotline :).

However it is very useful as they will tell you not only whether the chain carries what you are looking for, but also which of the stores has it in stock. Very helpful if what you are looking for is either in short supply, high demand, or obscure.

Other good resources include internet pharmacy www.wer.ru (have had positive experiences with it) and discount pharmacy/delivery service Stolitsa Medical (b. Serpukhovskaya 29 m. Serpukhovskaya - open 24/7, delivery phone 755 93 95 - deliveries are free of charge but I have never tried same - prices in store are 20-33% below 36.6 on almost all items).