PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about TV

Kartoshka
20-05-2009, 20:24
How does TV broadcasting work in Russia? Can I just plug a TV in, turn it on and receive channels? I did warn you it was a stupid question...

AndreyS
20-05-2009, 20:32
Yes, every block of flats has a big aerial serving all flats with main Russian TV channels (not too many). This service is included in monthly flat utility bills. Just find this aerial cable (or ask your landlord) and plug it in.

Benedikt
03-06-2009, 14:48
How does TV broadcasting work in Russia? Can I just plug a TV in, turn it on and receive channels? I did warn you it was a stupid question...

....depending who you are and what you want to watch ( i am austrian and want to watch also german language TV but i am not interested in MTV,7/24 sports or the like but like animals/travel culture).
ALSO WRITE TO US, WHICH DISTRICT YOU LIVE IN, BECAUSE NOT EVERY DISTRICT IS WIRED FOR EVERYTHING.
post it here and for sure one of us can than recommend which cable provider to call. and thye come, set up the whole lot, that includes than also all russian channels.
for instance we pay about 1000 rubles for quite fast unlimited internet, i do not know how many channels TV, we are not through yet with zapping....

Strider
03-06-2009, 15:56
if you want to watch TV in english, you need to get cable TV... and as Benedikt said - in different districts situation might be different

although I think that Stream TV is available throughout the city

geoffgich
03-06-2009, 18:22
Its good to tell you that,unlike US where nearly everything is either prepaid or postpaid, Russia is a different world.
In Moscow, there are over 35 Free TV channels, at least that is what my Sumsung Tele is able to scan all beamed via VHF,UHF. In case you have any of those mini gadgets like my TV c7202 phone you will be able to shuffle any of your favorite channels numbering up to 21 , anywhere within the parameters of Moscow city.

Kartoshka
03-06-2009, 18:35
Well neither my flatmate or I can get our TV to receive anything. We just want a few Russian channels so it should be easy... but it's not. We live in юго-западный район.

Strider
03-06-2009, 20:25
are you sure that your antenna isn't broken or something?

did you buy your TV here?

Benedikt
04-06-2009, 12:49
if you have a computer and internet, download READON TV you have 500 tv and radio channels for free. fair enough only on your computer.
i watch german/austrian live tv sometimes i feel something from the US..
and best of all, I mean it is fun to watch sometimes, they also have free *&^&^%^ ( the word is censored...) but we all know what adults are watching.....
of course not all 500 are working at all times, depends where the satelites are floating around, or maybe not all are beaming to russia. but i was watching EUROVISION on the computer in the kitchen, where of course we ahd no TV.....

mesh
07-06-2009, 19:38
hi, can u give exact weblink?

FatAndy
08-06-2009, 22:55
2 mesh:
Have you ever tried to use Web search engines (for example: http://ya.ru or http://www.google.com )? ;)
If not - try! :)

Qdos
08-06-2009, 23:50
Yes, every block of flats has a big aerial serving all flats with main Russian TV channels (not too many). This service is included in monthly flat utility bills.

Not where I live, unfortunately, so there are exceptions. Although, oddly enough, all the surrounding buildings seem to have the antennae fitted. Little old me has to shell out for cable or satellite :11363:

fp2033
14-06-2009, 08:08
I heard that there is a company based out of the US that streams US cable TV to any country in the world that has a good internet infrastructure. By the sound of it they are using slingboxes attached to your own cable account. Anyone know anything about them? Experiences? I think they are called a2btv or a2btv.com. Appreciate the feedback.

Qdos
14-06-2009, 13:22
There's certainly a London based concern doing just that :)

THETELLY.NET (http://www.thetelly.net/)

AndreyS
14-06-2009, 20:18
There's certainly a London based concern doing just that :)

THETELLY.NET (http://www.thetelly.net/)

Oh, dear. 8 pounds a day - isn't it too much? I watch BBC, Sky and other British channels on my Cosmos TV package just for 580 r./month.

MickeyTong
14-06-2009, 21:12
Oh, dear. 8 pounds a day - isn't it too much?

Way too much.....
Just to watch Coronation Street and Emmerdale......

Qdos
14-06-2009, 21:31
I see their enhanced package includes Setanta Sports... whereas the last I heard that particular outfit are rumoured to be likely to go into administration and dishonour their sponsorship contracts...

However it's not eight quid a day if you buy a month or more at once, but I'd be very wary that the ports which Slingboxes use are not 'forbidden' by some Russian ISP's...

Edit/...

The irony of it, just did a quick news search on the state of Setanta, and what did I find... :rolleyes:

1) Setanta nearing*bankruptcy - Watch Kalib Run (http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/6/9/903837/setanta-nearing-bankruptcy)

Setanta nearing bankruptcy, June 9th 2009...

2) Russian oligarch rescues Setanta with 20m deal - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article6487193.ece)

Russian oligarch rescues Setanta with 20m deal, June 13th 2009....

fp2033
15-06-2009, 03:50
ok found them...they are called a2btv and their website is a2btv.com
I did the demo and the picture looks great. you can control your account, change channels and record via the slingplayer interface. My only concern was steady download speeds on my end here. I did it late at night so I figure the demand on my isp was low but I am wondering if that changes during the day.

Anybody have any ideas re internet download speed stability? Do the local ISP's shape your speeds when they see you are having large pull?

Prices are not bad either. looks ike basic package is $79 per month and full package like $140.

Would welcome any first hand experiences from current or former customers.
Thanks