PDA

View Full Version : Political Compass Test

Carbo
19-05-2009, 18:36
There's a great test online that allows you to get a rough approximation of where you stand on the political compass.

Basically, it takes the Libertarian model of left and right AND libertarian and authoritarian.

It'll be interesting to see where everyone ends up.

When you take it, please try to be honest. I hoped I would be a centerist just down below the liberal-authoritarian line. Turnes out I'm left of centre.

Hopefully you can be honest and not try to game the system, because it should be fun.

Here's the link -- > The Political Compass - Test (http://www.politicalcompass.org/test)

And here's my result:

Wodin
19-05-2009, 19:06
well...no big surprise here...slightly to the right on economic issues and slightly to the left on social issues..

Carbo
19-05-2009, 19:25
well...no big surprise here...slightly to the right on economic issues and slightly to the left on social issues..
Funnily enough, Woodin, I did take another, similar test once before and I was about your position, but right on the centre, if you can picture that.

Hey-ho.

Wodin
19-05-2009, 19:41
Yes that's exactly what I had scored on the test on the left a few months ago. Right dead centre. As I recall that test had a bit more emphasis on social issues as opposed to economic ones than the one you posted today.

Surfsup37
19-05-2009, 20:09
I took the test, and I am not sure I agree with the results, but I did find it interesting.

I come out strongly Libertarian which I thought I would, but much farther on the left economically than I thought.

Carbo
19-05-2009, 20:16
I took the test, and I am not sure I agree with the results, but I did find it interesting.

I come out strongly Libertarian which I thought I would, but much farther on the left economically than I thought.
I'm in the same boat.

I think it's fun, though.

Surfsup37
19-05-2009, 20:21
I thought this question was one of the more interesting, and where I probably became a lefty. It is the globization question on the first page.
:suspect:

From the FAQ explaining some of the objections to some of the questions.

Your proposition on globalisation suggests that corporations and humanity can't both benefit.

This one sometimes ruffles feathers on right wings. What the proposition actually suggests is that humanity should be the priority.

Critics argue that there's no conflict of interest. Transnational corporations naturally and unfailingly serve humanity by serving themselves. In enriching business, the argument goes, globalisation will always subsequently benefit humanity. Prioritising humanity would only limit the ability of the corporations to inevitably do greater good. So advocates of this trickle down approach should simply click 'strongly disagree' We don't see the problem.

The record, however, makes clear that there have often been spectacular conflicts of interest between coporate enrichment and humantity. Halliburton, Enron and the tobacco industry's research cover-ups are perhaps the best known examples. Others are detailed at The 10 Worst Corporations of 2008 and Corpwatch.org .

On the other hand, for the comparatively few who tell us that corporations can never serve humanity, Milton Friedman argues the case for unfettered market forces.

I think globalization i.e. free trade can and does help humanity and that transnational companies aren't necessary bad. However, I do think that they need to be regulated, so I choose that globalization should strongly support humanity but I assume that puts me on the left.

Interesting.

Jack17
19-05-2009, 21:32
Ahhhh. . .I closed the frame before I could copy the grid; but I came out about in the middle of the lower left green quadrant, somewhere near Ghandi. Glad at least to be opposite to Hitler and Thatcher.

Carbo
19-05-2009, 21:43
oops, wrong thread

Carbo
19-05-2009, 21:47
oops, wrong thread

Wodin
19-05-2009, 21:47
Isn't it odd that only individuals with liberal leanings responded to this thread?

Carbo
19-05-2009, 21:51
The reason is that all the right wing nuts are afraid of nestling between Hitler and Thatcher as snugly as Rush Limbaugh shoehorned into an Easy Jet economy seat.

You watch: every one of the b@stards will post maps showing them as somewhere more libertarian than the Dalai Lama.

Carbo
20-05-2009, 10:37
And still only liberals showing some pride.

MissAnnElk
20-05-2009, 10:52
No surprises.

Russian Lad
20-05-2009, 11:09
Well, I am in the middle of the green zone.

Carbo
20-05-2009, 11:11
Well, I am in the middle of the green zone.
I find that very hard to believe. Middle of the purple zone, maybe. But with your ideas on homosexuality, and state control of businesses...

Carbo
20-05-2009, 11:14
No surprises.You and me are like peas and carrots, Jenny.

Russian Lad
20-05-2009, 11:18
state control of businesses

You might have taken it wrong, I have nothing against business, but I am very opposed to transnational corporations coupled with the state administrative support, and of course I am opposed to private companies controlling natural resources. It is not dead center, closer to the red zone.