View Full Version : Russian Marriage Visa?

19-05-2009, 11:34
Can't see this covered elsewhere. I have recently marrying a Russian girl and we're planning to move to the UK. However, I am wondering if there is any form of Spouse visa that I can obtain for Russia here? If her visa application in the UK is successful what visa can I apply for to return her to visit etc?
Are my only options tourist/private visas or am I entitled to a different kind of visa automatically as a result of being married to a Russian citizen? I hope this makes sense! Thanks for any help!
I don't plan to settle here or apply for residency but would like there to be an easy way for me to travel to and from Russia whenever we wish to visit family and friends.

22-05-2009, 10:32
Law in Russia changes almost before ink becomes dry on previous laws.

It was simple prior to 2002, you apply for Russian citizenship and they happily grant it.

Then they said you must be in Russia to do so,
Then they wanted HIV tests,
Then as far as i know now they want you to give up your other nationalities,so that you become 100% Russian citizen , and for ever locked in .

The reason is because people dont stay in Russia. Russia wants to increase its population , so it wants to hold people in, healthy children are in particular need, hence any child taken to Russia, by wt ever the means, and even with out travel documents, is granted Russian citizenship instantly, BEAWRE ,

If you are from Afganistan or some other country that is at war and lots of trouble, , then YES a Russian citizenship is far better,

Otherwise, you must have strong reasons wanting be a Russian passport holder at cost of lossing freedom.
It is early sign of madness.

04-06-2009, 15:11
Russia does not issue 'spouse' visas. You should get a tourist visa and travel on that. Once in Russia, if you are so inclined, you can start the incredibly tedious process of applying for residency. You only need to worry about this if you want to live in Russia.

If you are from the EU, you can get a tourist visa without any hassle. HIV tests are not required of EU citizens.

04-06-2009, 15:15
"Withdraw" states that if your child is born in Russia, the child will automatically become Russian. This is not necessarily the case. It depends on how you interpret the Nationality Act. Generally speaking, one of the parents needs to be Russian. We have some Canadian friends whose child was born in Moscow last year. They tried to get the child registered as a Russian, but were unsuccessful. They were told by the Ministry of Interior, and Ministry of Foreign Affairs, that the nationality act requires that the child have a Russian parent or be stateless to acquire nationality automatically at birth. Instead, the Russians granted the child a visa on her Canadian passport.

04-06-2009, 15:17
Just as an aside, two of the few countries that grant citizenship automatically at birth to children born in the country are the USA and New Zealand.

If your child is born in the USA, regardless of your status, your child will be an American. He or she then becomes subject to US taxes etc. There is no way around this (unless the parents were diplomats at the time). Most of the people who renounce their US citizenship are individuals who 'inadvertently' acquired US citizenship by virtue of their birth in the USA...