PDA

View Full Version : Fauchon (French food boutique on Tv-Yam)

85StonePolarBear
26-10-2004, 21:53
I just returned from Fauchon a mere 890 odd RUR lighter, but with a half a kilo of great Scottish smoked salmon, 250 grammes of goose breast (cold cooked, not smoked) and 50 grammes (3-5 dishes worth minimum) of "1001 Nights," which I will comment on in further detail Thurs when I use it. "1001 Nights" (9.5 euro/100 grammes - 50 grammes is an awful lot) should be a Middle Eastern style spice preparation (coriander, cardamom, anise, pepper etc as per store employee) and indeed does smell like spices which I remember from Jerusalem or Casablanca.

Most of the prices there are suited to those who buy football teams, but the salmon is only 93.6 rubles per 100 grammes, which puts it at the same price level as far inferior local smoked salmon. IT IS GREAT - think Harrods' food hall in terms of quality. Ditto for the goose breast. As for the rest of the delicacies, well, barring a special occasion (like the purchase of my first English football team ;)) I have no intention of spending 15 euro/750 mls for fruit juice or 20 euro for a can of coffee, or 145 euro (I kid you not) for 150 mls of aged balsamic vinegar!

However, I am sure that the salmon price is a promotion, so head over there and try it while it lasts - but beware, because the Polar Bear lives quite nearby and he isn't gonna leave much behind each time he visits ;) ;) ;)!

Address is 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya dom 7; it is on the side of the street heading toward the centre and is two doors before NKong restaurant. But beware of polar bears waiting at the fish counter at night :) :) :)!

Leslie Presley
26-10-2004, 22:02
The miser and the glutton are two facetious buzzards. One hides his store, the other stores its hide.

One meal a day is enough for a lion, and it ought to be for a man.

85StonePolarBear
26-10-2004, 22:11
Originally posted by Leslie Presley
One meal a day is enough for a lion, and it ought to be for a man.

While I kind of enjoy your ramblings, I have to point out that the above should not be taken seriously as per medical science. Small meals throughout the day are best for health, and I can vouch for that personally (also part of having lost 32 kgs over the past 11 months).

BTW lions are lucky to get so much as one meal a day, especially as game supplies are dwindling. Wanna take a walk in the Serengeti, Leslie? ;) ;) ;)

Leslie Presley
26-10-2004, 22:26
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
While I kind of enjoy your ramblings, I have to point out that the above should not be taken seriously as per medical science. Small meals throughout the day are best for health, and I can vouch for that personally (also part of having lost 32 kgs over the past 11 months).

Having once decided to achieve a certain task, achieve it at all costs of tedium and distaste. The gain in confidence in achieving such a tiresome labour is immense. CONGRATULATIONS!!

85StonePolarBear
26-10-2004, 22:30
Are you by any chance Hong Long Dong, the fabled author of so many of the fortunes found inside cookies served in Chinese restaurants throughout the world?

Leslie Presley
26-10-2004, 22:36
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
Are you by any chance Hong Long Dong, the fabled author of so many of the fortunes found inside cookies served in Chinese restaurants throughout the world?

Each man is the smith of his own fortune.

Fortune has something of the nature of a woman. If she is too intensely wooed, she commonly goes the further away.