PDA

View Full Version : A ticket misspelling question. Infinity travel again.

Maine Surfer
25-10-2004, 17:25
A question.

Bought a ticket through Infinity travel.
They misspelled the first letter of the last name. J instead of G.
They insist that at this point nothing can be done and the mistake will be OK with the airline people.

The question is Is it true? Anyone had similar experience going to the USA and coming back?

85StonePolarBear
25-10-2004, 17:27
Go to the airline itself and have the mistake corrected, at least in their computer.

gino
25-10-2004, 17:35
Had the same problem, only not with Infinity. The agent insisted there was nothing they could do about it and that up to three mistakes were permitted. There were two mistakes in the spelling of my name. I thought this was crazy, but let it go because there was no time to do anything else. Leaving Russia no one said a word. When leaving Egypt to return to Russia they looked at long and hard, called a manager, and then approved me. I suspect it depends a lot on where you will be going.
Good luck.

Sunstorm
25-10-2004, 17:38
No, it's not true - there can be a problem! I recall the guy named Theo was misspelled as Teo on his ticket and he had a problem in SVO... don't ask me for details, though... just remember it took him a while to sort it.

allice
25-10-2004, 17:42
I wouldn't take my chances if I were you. I think Polar Bear is right.

Ledka
25-10-2004, 17:46
my surname was misspelled not once... I never had problems with it... Don't worry, a plane ticket isn't a visa.... who cares how it's written... they won't even read it

kak
25-10-2004, 17:52
same for me ...surname mispelled as well once but i didn't have any troubles...

Maine Surfer
25-10-2004, 18:00
Well, I still worry

You just haven't seen the robots - federal employees- at Logan International, when they check your ticket.

I will go to the airline and have them fix it. Well, again, I'll be doing something I'm should not do.

THANK YOU INFINITY TRAVEL ************

Sunstorm
25-10-2004, 18:04
That's the easiest thing you can do, in any case... Airline will fix it for you in no time

Ledka
25-10-2004, 18:04
Originally posted by Maine Surfer

I will go to the airline and have them fix it.

just give them a call... When it happened to me first time I called Lufthansa and they explained to me that there was absolutely nothing to worry about... They told me that sometimes ppl even had 2 or 3 misspelled letters and it was ok...

jheisel
25-10-2004, 18:08
I had my name spelled Djon last time I flew, nobody cared.

allice
25-10-2004, 18:26
What a diligent travel agent does is he/she hands you the ticket once it's been filled out for you to check spelling and most importantly dates. Last time I found a mistake in mine which was duly taken care of on the spot.

J.D.
25-10-2004, 18:27
My travel agent tells me that you can have up to three mistakes in the spelling of the name. But he also will send a correction to the airlines that will correct for any number of mistakes.

I don't know if that 3 mistake rule applies only to Russia or the whole world.

Pingu
25-10-2004, 18:44
If you can, it's always advisable to check the ticket details as soon as the airline/agency issues it - they will change it on the spot, which saves a lot of hassle.

Whenever someone else has dealt with my ticket arrangements here (by the way, no other country has ever made a single error when issuing my airline tickets!), I've always immediately noticed at least one error - usually putting me as a "Mr" instead of "Mrs" and/or misspelling my surname. As soon as I spot the error(s), I always call the airline/agency to ask them if they can re-issue the ticket but, by that time, they never do and I haven't *yet* had any problems. Once they even made a mistake over our son's date of birth, but nobody seemed bothered.

I guess it depends how they highly they rate the mistake and how the airline control official is feeling that day... But I would always try to get the ticket re-issued correctly before travelling.

Maine Surfer
26-10-2004, 10:16
Originally posted by allice
What a diligent travel agent does is he/she hands you the ticket once it's been filled out for you to check spelling and most importantly dates. Last time I found a mistake in mine which was duly taken care of on the spot.

Infinity travel

Tatya
26-10-2004, 12:20
I have had the same experience several times with my tourists(working in the traveling agency). there can be no more than 3 mispellings in the ticket, but we always insisted on correcting them.The aircompany should correct the mistake, they should include your correct name in the ticket. you have such a right, even if they tell you that everything will be OK without correction.

Maine Surfer
26-10-2004, 12:23
Apparently, you don't work at Infinity Travel. Good for you

Kshisya
26-10-2004, 12:24
Main you might not believe but oficially they allow up to 3 typos in the first+second name on the ticket :D just go and don't worry - expert knows! :p

kak
26-10-2004, 12:36
I can't believe my eyes Tatya finaly found
the caps lock button ;)

jules
29-10-2004, 15:17
Once a travel agency forgot to put half my last name (I'm hyphenated) and I still flew, no problems. I must have an honest face. ;)

Infinity can be good, depends on which person you work with. I always deal with the same one, she's reliable.

plastique
31-10-2004, 00:29
Originally posted by kakrout
I can't believe my eyes Tatya finaly found
the caps lock button ;)

i was thinking the same thing...

I had a collegue from Hong Kong try to fly home and the travel agency put his english name and last name on the ticket but left off his mandarin name assuming it was his middle name...the people at SVO refused to let him fly and he had to stay 3 days till the next flight left and had to be reissued the ticket....