View Full Version : TRP: UK Citizen: Where do I get the criminal record check?

06-05-2009, 17:11

I'm about to embark upon a TRP application, please can somebody tell me how I get hold of a criminal record check? Is there a website, do I need to go to the UK, if so where, and with which docs?

Sorry if this is somewhere here, I've searched the board and the internet, but it's driving me nuts, I can't find a clear answer on how I obtain the paperwork anywhere.

Many thanks,


06-05-2009, 21:00
Go to your local police station in the Uk - they will direct you to the local constabulary.
You fill up a form -pay 10 I think ....and wait 2-3 months for this paper to arrive.

There is No other way

06-05-2009, 21:33
You don't have to go to your local police station. What if he's in Russia? Yes there is a website with a step by step guide, and I've given this address many times here. When you receive this police check you must send it back to be legalised , of which is yet another address somewhere in the Home office. As I have stated I have mentioned the instructions many times in my posts. And now I,ve forgotten.

I'll be back with the website addresses, with full simple instructions. Yes you can do it from Russia. We don't technically call it police check in Britain, we call it subject access strange as it may seem.

I'll be back with the addresses, as I had to search myself.

06-05-2009, 21:42
If you live in the london metropoliton area no problem. If not click to find out your area to apply. Fill in the appropriate subject access form. You are seeking police records about yourself for immigration purposes. Hopefully you will receive a document stating that they have no records of you.

Metropolitan Police Service - Your rights to information index (http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm)

06-05-2009, 21:46
Once you have received your subject access document you must send it back to the UK to be legalised. Very stupid I know, as it is comimg stamped from a world famous authority. But that's the way it is, as stupid as legalising a British passport or a British pound note sterling.

Documents we can legalise (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-the-fco/what-we-do/docs-and-legal-services/legalisation/legalising)

06-05-2009, 21:48
Thanks Bels, you saved me hours of trawling the internet! Luckily the London Met should do, as that was where I last lived.

No wonder I couldn't find it though, 'subject access form'? What a daft name! :)

06-05-2009, 22:06
Wait untill you get it translated. Your official Russian translator will be be struggling on the meanof SUBJECT ACCESS. We are so old fashioned in our ways. A british subject having the right of what information is held on them. And due to the data protection act it is highly confidential to you as a British subject of the Queen and Great Britain. And yet now due to process of the Russian process you are now going to show this confidential information to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

07-05-2009, 09:14
See my thread "Subject access short cut". There is absolutely no need to have the police report sent to you here in Moscow and then back to the UK for legalisation. The Met will send it direct for legalisation, if you provide the appropriate authority. Much quicker.

07-05-2009, 10:11
The report then has to be Apostiled.

Foreigh Office have now moved to Milton Keynes from Trafalgar Square.
By post Apostile can take 3-4 weeks. In person next working day.cost 27 per page.

I have done it many times

09-05-2009, 21:51
Such as criminal record means subject access in Uk , apostil means legalisation in the UK. So making your searches can be confusing as it has been to me in the past.

This is where you get you get your documents legalised or apostiled as some of us state.

Legalisation (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-the-fco/what-we-do/docs-and-legal-services/legalisation/)