PDA

View Full Version : traffic and pollution in St Petersburg

loquacious
05-05-2009, 11:38
I have lived here since 2000 and have seen the number of cars multiply and the traffic get much worse. It appears the city government has no active plan to deal with this problem.

The Udenya road is stalled with cars much of the day, and the air pollution throughout SPB is the worst of all large cities in Russia. Forget about emergency vehicles getting through.

No one escape the horrible air quality and most people commuting have to sit on crummy mashutkas and buses waiting for the traffic to clear. Doesn't the government worry about this situation, and why has there been so little effective action to improve the traffic flow and reduce the pollution?

Wodin
05-05-2009, 13:45
Traffic and pollution is no worse than in other big cities I have lived in. Sure, traffic is a pain, and it takes me about an hour to drive home in the evenings when I can probably walk the distance in about 40 minutes, but do bear in mind that you are living in Europe's 4th largest city.

loquacious
07-05-2009, 09:56
St Petersburg, while a significant city, is the seventh large city of Europe.

Moscow 13.5 million
Istanbul 12.5
London 12.3
Paris 10.0
Madrid 6.1
Ruhr Valley 5.75
St Petersburg 4.75
Rome 3.5

SPB have been given an absolute rating for pollution which is then balanced with whether the city is taking any effective action to reduce it, such as car emission requirements and inspections. It has the statistically worse pollution rating of any large city in Russia, and unfortunately most Russian cities have much more air pollution than those in Western Europe.

I heard from an expatriate who left SPB for Budapest that traffic there is much worse than here. That's good but I just wish that the people here and their government were not so defeatist about air pollution, but rather were active trying to improve the air. Almost everyone living here seems to have respiratory-bronchial problems.

DDT
07-05-2009, 12:52
I'll tell you what, baby,.......I've seen a lot worse pollution than what's in St Petersburg! In the summers in LA you'll get your eyes reddened and stinging real good, when you drive over the hill from Hollywood into the Valley from the filth in the air!

MissAnnElk
07-05-2009, 13:04
I'll tell you what, baby,.......I've seen a lot worse pollution than what's in St Petersburg! In the summers in LA you'll get your eyes reddened and stinging real good, when you drive over the hill from Hollywood into the Valley from the filth in the air!

Or when you fly in to LAX . . . it's all sunny and lovely up in the air, and then you go through the smog when you land. Ugh.

loquacious
07-05-2009, 18:36
I don't get the points of these two comments. Are you saying that since Los Angeles is polluted, than we should accept pollution in St Petersburg?

The American Lung Association a few days ago released its ratings on city pollution in the USA. Now Pittsburgh is tops in pollution, LA second overall.
Los Angeles has reduced its ambient pollution and smog by as much as 1/3 over the past 10 years. Can St Petersburg say the same?

I appreciate your first hand observations about LA. There is much that can be done to clear the air in both California and Russia. I wonder, what can expatriates do to help?

BigSpaseeba
08-05-2009, 00:50
I agree that the air pollution is terrible in st pete. I live on Bolshoi Pr. Petrograd side on the third floor and during the rush hours we have to close the windows.

Not only that but somebody is using poison somewhere in the building to kill rats and insects and an extremely strong smell comes in to our bathroom. It's toxic and I'm really angry about it. Of course there isn't anything you can do about it. Another reason why my wife and I are moving to Vancouver. Why would we want to live here any longer when Vancouver is rated as the best or one of the best cities in the world?

thanks for listening.

Russian Lad
24-05-2009, 05:42
Hehe, Spaseeba:) You have posted your complaint here, too:).
It is over 6 mln. people now in Saint Pete.
Spaseeba, have you heard about such an amenity as air conditioning?:)

Savokchik
16-06-2009, 04:17

There are only a very few days when the air is truly hot in St. Petersburg (I live in Texas, I know what hot is). Air conditioning usage will just pump more hydrocarbons into the atmosphere at the point of the electric power station (not all power is nuclear); it will also overtax the fragile and old electrical grid. The country and its government needs to get away from the prevalent "I do what is good for ME" mentality and start thinking about the good of the citizens and visitors. One should not have to have a private water purification station within one's house there - water should be drinkable from the tap. Just like in the US. But to do so would mean that the country would actually have to put money and effort into solving the problem.

And I guess the Russian mentality would be hard pressed to get used to the idea that something so basic provided by someone else would actually be good.

BigSpaseeba
16-06-2009, 14:54

We have air conditioning.

The smell comes from the basement up to the third floor filling our bathroom and then spreading to the rest of the flat. Our place has been completely renovated but the building must be in poor shape behind our nice walls and floor. There is only one other flat renovated in this building.

The poison is to kill insects and rats but it's also poisoning the people in the building. There is a sign downstairs with a phone number to call if the poison is causing problems. My wife called and the woman in charge of spraying the poison said she couldn't stop it because she is just following orders. The only thing to do would be to spend hundreds of hours and a lot of money to take that company and the government to court. If we did that we would probably lose the case anyway.

If this happened in Canada I could have it stopped immediately plus sue for compensation.

loquacious
05-09-2009, 17:52
I agree Savokchik that air conditioning is unnecessary... and polluting... in Spb.

As for drinking water, we live in the Pioneerskaya metro section in the NW of the city, and our water is actually of relatively good quality (with some Monday repair exceptions). We run it a while, let it sit, then put it though a Brita water filter, then put it through Heboton electric silver water system. Soon we plan to get an under the sink filtration unit that needs refreshing just once a year. Without a lot of expense, you as an individual can have your water as clean and tasty as you want.

Throughout most of the world it's necessary to be very careful of the water you drink. Actually Spb has better quality water than many cities.

loquacious
05-09-2009, 17:59
Big Spaseeba,

I know the smell you're talking about. Years ago on liberty when in the Navy used to smell pesticide in some of the bars we hit.

Your immediate problem is exacerbated by the air conditioning. Close off the vent opening in the vanya, and add a fan near an outside window.

You can't change defeatist attitudes and ignorance that have grown worse for centuries, so just deal with your specific problem until you can fly the coop for Vancouver.