PDA

View Full Version : what is your favorite place in the world?

logoff
05-09-2003, 11:59
?:p where you wish to be sometime?

moscowmail
05-09-2003, 12:01
This should be in expat cafe, I have moved it

Broadmoor Bob
05-09-2003, 12:05
MM, once again, please be careful as some of us have some interesting answers to this question.

For instance, my answer to this question is the locker room of a girls' high school in Bangkok!

logoff
05-09-2003, 12:10
Len, should I use f-word in order to not be moved from BARDAK?:) Let me practice a bit..........

moscowmail
05-09-2003, 12:13
Not really, but the topic is interesting and could be shared by the whole site, I just thought it is what the expat cafe was created for, often we get topics on Bardak that are wasted there....

logoff
05-09-2003, 12:15
I see, I don't have to practice....;)

Broadmoor Bob
05-09-2003, 12:17
Actually, Bardak is getting tamer and friendlier. Maybe there needs to be a subsection of Bardak designed strictly for the basest of the base - call it Lefortovo Lounge or something like that, and REQUIRE use of the F-word there ;). I volunteer to moderate.

moscowmail
05-09-2003, 12:23
My fave place is Moscow, seriously, i have travelled all over and came back here, resigned from a well paid job, moved here with no job, and I am still here... 4 years and counting :)

Broadmoor Bob
05-09-2003, 12:41
Having been here 11 years, I agree - every time I go on vacation, I can't wait to get back.

skinnylad
05-09-2003, 12:47
The only place that comes close to Moscow is Barrow-in-Furness, IMHO.

moscowmail
05-09-2003, 12:55
A great mood me ;)

Skinny L, Actually a lovely place is the Mumbles bach ;)

skinnylad
05-09-2003, 14:13
Certainly is, butt! Favourite place on the south west coast is Barafundle - truly glorious.Just take a look at that! (I think the blue sky has been addedd artificially though...)

twaj
05-09-2003, 16:06
I sort of moved here without a job, too - without a real one, anyway. :) I'd have to agree with Len - this is the place to be. If I was rich, I might go for London or Amsterdam, though... I'm really sick of New York although all of my people live there. :p

DJ Biscuit
05-09-2003, 16:18
Weymouth(!)
Ibiza

But after 8 years here I guess I like the fact that stuff you have a hard time getting elsewhere (know what I mean) I can get E-zi.

cyclby
05-09-2003, 17:34
Like the rest of us I have been all over the place. Russia 7 years but not all of it in Moscow. My favorite place in Russia is Magadan or Vladivostock. But, I digress, at the end of the day I would like to go back to where I started, A cattle ranch in Colorado, USA. I could not pick a more serene end to it all. :cool:

DaveUK1965
11-09-2003, 01:08
Volgograd. Or Rotterdam, where I used to live. Kijk op, meneer !

murbanski
11-09-2003, 05:50
Having not yet been to Moscow, I can't vote for that. Give me a couple years, and hopefully I'll have the same afinity.

Having said that, the tranquil side of me votes for Mongi, and the more "city" side of me goes for Budapest or Prague.

Of course, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Bangor, Pa. Can't say I'd want to go back there, but it'll always be "home" no matter where I am. :)

trebor
11-09-2003, 06:58
Dear cyclby
i am in Vladivostok now. To think that this is your favourite place in the world begs the question are you a sad f***k or what?
What did you find so appealing? Or perhaps you ment Vladivostok, Brazil?
Brazil gets my vote!
(PS. although i do enjoy Moscow a lot and it probably comes second)

cyclby
11-09-2003, 09:28
Ha,
Trebor, I do have warped sense of humor but remember that I am a country boy and the smaller towns are much more appealling to me. I was there (Vlad / Mag) shortly after they opened it up and it was the wild wild east out there. You never went out after dark and why bother, no place to go anyway then.

I found the people to be sincere and friendly. None of the elitist crap you put up with in Moscow. There was not as much of a separation between the haves and have nots. I was actively involved in the community in Magadan and was accepted, as much as an American expat can be anyway. I have a lefetime of friends in those 2 cities.

I will admit that those cities are not the most beautiful places on the planet but the Mountains in the Kolyma are breathtaking.
Regards

codbutt
11-09-2003, 09:55
Three Cliffs Bay, Gower Peninsula, South Wales

closely followed by North Dartmoor, Devon, SouthWest England

other close favourites are

Hunza Valley, Northern Areas, Pakistan
Kathmandu, Nepal

allice
11-09-2003, 10:39
Nova Scotia, Canada:)

jules
11-09-2003, 11:17
allice - I wholeheartedly agree! The Cabot Trail, Kejimikujik, the Lighthouse route... one of the loveliest places in the world. Of course, I'm biased... :D

machine
10-10-2003, 01:05
http://www.seestanleypark.com/seawall/lgsw08.jpg